77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » 77s 30th birthday » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page 77s 30th birthday
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

77s 30th birthday Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Not to make too big a deal out of this, but before September slips away, I wanted to point out that thirty years ago this month, we played our very first gig as a band on the quad at Sierra College in Rocklin, California.

The band consisted of Doctor, Jan Eric, Mark Tootle, Mark Proctor and Sharon McCall. As I recall, we did mostly tunes from Steve Scott's unreleased Larry Norman produced album Moving Pictures, which contained both "A Different Kind Of Light" and "Stranger Won't You Change Your Sinful Ways" ~~
09-29-2009 11:56 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
Cynthia
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-483.jpg

Registration Date: 07-20-2005

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Exciting... happy anniversary

09-29-2009 12:22 Cynthia is offline Search for Posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your Buddy List
me-is-e
Drowning with Land in Sight

images/avatars/avatar-215.jpg

Registration Date: 03-14-2006
Favorite 77s album: the one I'm listening to

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Sounds like a great thing to celebrate.

09-29-2009 12:33 me-is-e is offline Send an Email to me-is-e Homepage of me-is-e Search for Posts by me-is-e Add me-is-e to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male
Unbalanced

images/avatars/avatar-373.jpg

Registration Date: 05-30-2004
Favorite 77s album: Island Album

Congrats and Happy Anniversary!

09-29-2009 12:33 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
DaLe DaLe is a male
Mr. Magoo

images/avatars/avatar-556.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2004
Location: MiNNeSoTa - HeRe we put salt on the Roads... Lord, Help me be Salt of the Earth - NoT Salt in the Wound. so, take most everything I SaY HeRe with a grain of Salt !

CooL Cool

09-29-2009 12:34 DaLe is offline Send an Email to DaLe Search for Posts by DaLe Add DaLe to your Buddy List
MarkyMark77 MarkyMark77 is a male
Drowning with Land in Sight

images/avatars/avatar-456.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005
Favorite 77s album: 99

Congrats! It is KIND of a big deal, Doc. It's thirty years of ministry. And we're all glad you did it, and stuck with it. Seriously.

Two questions arise:

1) Do you have a recording of this show?
2) Would you be willing to post a download of it for a little while, just for those of us who commented on this thread?

Or, you could monetize this anniversary by having a 30th anniversary release with outtakes, live songs, demos, etc? Big Grin

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by MarkyMark77: 09-29-2009 13:30.

09-29-2009 13:24 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
Doctor Love

Thread Starter Thread Started by Doctor Love

quote:
Originally posted by MarkyMark77
Congrats! It is KIND of a big deal, Doc. It's thirty years of ministry. And we're all glad you did it, and stuck with it. Seriously.

Two questions arise:

1) Do you have a recording of this show?

>>>> there are many cassette recordings of shows from that era, but I do not recall ever seeing one from Sierra College. It could be on one of those tapes and just not labelled, but I don't know for sure. There has been talk for years about releasing an album of the best of these recordings but that has yet to happen. I am glad that there are actually three concerts from that savage young 'Scratch Band' era that were recorded on multi-track (you can hear samples of these as the bonus tracks on the Ping Pong Over The Abyss CD) and I certainly hope all this will come out one day if anyone is still interested...

2) Would you be willing to post a download of it for a little while, just for those of us who commented on this thread?

>>>>> hmmmm .... perhaps presenting this kind of material as downloads would be the most appropriate way to feature it, given the sound quality of the source tapes. I hate downloads, but it might be fun to see them as a way to offer less-then-stellar recordings for the fans who enjoy this sort of thing.

Or, you could monetize this anniversary by having a 30th anniversary release with outtakes, live songs, demos, etc?

>>>>> that's actually a really good idea. I will take this under advisement -- it could be a way to get some excitement going between our sporadic 'official' releases .....

Big Grin
09-29-2009 14:59 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
zing zing is a male
Baby Elvis

images/avatars/avatar-594.jpg

Registration Date: 01-22-2005
Favorite 77s album: Depends on the day!

Congrats on 30 years! I vote for a download AND a tribute/anniversary album!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by zing: 09-29-2009 16:12.

09-29-2009 16:11 zing is offline Send an Email to zing Search for Posts by zing Add zing to your Buddy List
Doctor Love

Thread Starter Thread Started by Doctor Love
ProBruced by The 77s Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Oh yeh, today is Bruce Spencer's birthday ~~ Cool

Doctor Love has attached this image (reduced version):
BruceHGBsessions.jpg

09-29-2009 17:48 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
lam77s

Registration Date: 05-29-2004

RE: 77's 30th B'day and ProBruced by The 77s Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Cheers! - *clink*

Linda
09-29-2009 18:06 lam77s is offline Send an Email to lam77s Search for Posts by lam77s Add lam77s to your Buddy List
Ping Pong Over the Abyss Ping Pong Over the Abyss is a male
Unbalanced

images/avatars/avatar-202.gif

Registration Date: 02-21-2006
Favorite 77s album: Too Many...!

Good times all around...for both the band and the drummer. Cool

09-29-2009 18:15 Ping Pong Over the Abyss is offline Send an Email to Ping Pong Over the Abyss Search for Posts by Ping Pong Over the Abyss Add Ping Pong Over the Abyss to your Buddy List
MefLiszto MefLiszto is a male
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 06-14-2004

Happy Birthday 7. And you too, other 7.

And to you as well, Mr. Spencer.
09-29-2009 19:00 MefLiszto is offline Send an Email to MefLiszto Search for Posts by MefLiszto Add MefLiszto to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of MefLiszto: MefLiszto YIM Account Name of MefLiszto: Feykdrulez
steveruff steveruff is a male
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 06-09-2008
Favorite 77s album: Pray Naked

Big Grin Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Thanks for 30 years of great music, I think a 30 year anniversary release would be cool as well.
09-30-2009 03:52 steveruff is offline Send an Email to steveruff Search for Posts by steveruff Add steveruff to your Buddy List
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

images/avatars/avatar-381.gif

Registration Date: 11-17-2004
Favorite 77s album: The one's Mike plays guitar on

Congrats to the Seventy Sevens!

I remember buying PPOTA from the Christian book store. I had a friend from another church in our district telling me about it, and so I "ordered" it from the bookstore, before I had ever heard it. Glad I took his recommendation!

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies
and i don't understand it"

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
09-30-2009 07:20 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
Big Jim Big Jim is a male
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 08-22-2005
Favorite 77s album: Holy Ghost Building

77's 30th birthday Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Congratulations on the 77's and Bruce's 30th birthdays! Smile Bruce - you're not much older than 30, are you? Big Grin - you don't look much older than that, but I know that couldn't be true...

Doc - I'm sure glad you and the 77's are still doing your thing. Long may you keep rolling (and rocking)...

Jim
09-30-2009 08:58 Big Jim is offline Send an Email to Big Jim Homepage of Big Jim Search for Posts by Big Jim Add Big Jim to your Buddy List
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Registration Date: 06-01-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning with Land in Sight

RE: 77s 30th birthday Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Love

The band consisted of Doctor, Jan Eric, Mark Tootle, Mark Proctor and Sharon McCall. As I recall, we did mostly tunes from Steve Scott's unreleased Larry Norman produced album Moving Pictures, which contained both "A Different Kind Of Light" and "Stranger Won't You Change Your Sinful Ways" ~~

So much for the theoretical total exclusion of girls from the band (other than the snuck-in Nerf Sisters, hey naaa naaa).

Congrats to all past and present, and Happy Birthday to Bruce. I hope they've recovered from their losses from the fire.

09-30-2009 13:04 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
Rod Rod is a male
Baby Elvis

images/avatars/avatar-236.jpg

Registration Date: 08-21-2005
Favorite 77s album: When #s Get Serious

Been with you for 27 of those years, since Ping Pong was released. We were all so young then. Smile . I'm in for the 30th anniversary release.
09-30-2009 15:45 Rod is offline Send an Email to Rod Search for Posts by Rod Add Rod to your Buddy List
dennis
Happy Roy

images/avatars/avatar-487.jpg

Registration Date: 10-03-2004
Favorite 77s album: "88"

happy anniversary to 77s.
happy birthday to bruce.
10-01-2009 03:42 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
colorblind
Someone New

Registration Date: 02-27-2008

Way to go Doc!!!
I think it would be cool to put together some sort of cd to celebrate. How about a spin-off of Sticks & Stones...call it Break Yer Bones. Play off the original artwork and everthing just like 99 did!

An updated best-off, as chosen by Mike...with a few twists.

Do it...for love!!!
10-01-2009 12:39 colorblind is offline Send an Email to colorblind Search for Posts by colorblind Add colorblind to your Buddy List
Cynthia
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-483.jpg

Registration Date: 07-20-2005

There sure are a lot of cords laying on the floor in that picture. It would be so interesting to watch the makings of an album be recorded like that.

10-01-2009 14:33 Cynthia is offline Search for Posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » 77s 30th birthday

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH