77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » Don't This Way - Best guitar work period. » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Don't This Way - Best guitar work period.
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
jakester jakester is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-564.jpg

Registration Date: 08-02-2009
Favorite 77s album: Sticks & Stones

Don't This Way - Best guitar work period. Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Speaking of the song, "Don't This Way" from the Sticks & Stones album. All I have to say is, "WOW". I've been a fan since 1988.

First song I ever heard was, "Ba, Ba, Ba, Ba". Graduated from college and happily bought Sticks & Stones in 1990. The whole album is amazing. Don't This Way has a special place in me. Always equated it to loss of a girlfriend but upon closer examination recently, it appears to discuss death.

Still touching. Just lost my dad this year - I tried my best to have a relationship with him... but still alot was left unsaid. As Mike put it, "Don't leave this way, so many words unsaid".

Great guitar work, Mike. Love a lesson some time. Thanks for your honesty.

John - Austin, TX.
"Aiin't it funny when you find how wrong you can be." - Tonio K.
08-02-2009 00:32 jakester is offline Send an Email to jakester Homepage of jakester Search for Posts by jakester Add jakester to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of jakester: go_speed_racer_2000
steveruff steveruff is a male
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 06-09-2008
Favorite 77s album: Pray Naked

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

That was my introduction to The 77's also, I love Sticks & Stones. I still think it's crazy that (from what I've been told) that album was a collection of demos, etc. that were put together. I've always thought that Don't This Way was one of the strongest tracks on there also. I am a sucker for the sad songs and if I remember correctly, the liner notes from Doc Love called that song one of the saddest songs ever written.
08-02-2009 04:17 steveruff is offline Send an Email to steveruff Search for Posts by steveruff Add steveruff to your Buddy List
dennis
Happy Roy

images/avatars/avatar-487.jpg

Registration Date: 10-03-2004
Favorite 77s album: "88"

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I was not new to the 77s when I bought Sticks & Stones, but I thought it was one the band's strongets efforts, and still feel that way.
I remember after having bought it, driving around in my car listening to those songs over and over again.
Such haunting beautiful and sad music.
...and a little funky as well! Happy
08-02-2009 12:51 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Ping Pong Over the Abyss Ping Pong Over the Abyss is a male
Unbalanced

images/avatars/avatar-202.gif

Registration Date: 02-21-2006
Favorite 77s album: Too Many...!

RE: Don't This Way - Best guitar work period. Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by jakester
Speaking of the song, "Don't This Way" from the Sticks & Stones album. All I have to say is, "WOW". I've been a fan since 1988.

First song I ever heard was, "Ba, Ba, Ba, Ba". Graduated from college and happily bought Sticks & Stones in 1990. The whole album is amazing. Don't This Way has a special place in me. Always equated it to loss of a girlfriend but upon closer examination recently, it appears to discuss death.

Still touching. Just lost my dad this year - I tried my best to have a relationship with him... but still alot was left unsaid. As Mike put it, "Don't leave this way, so many words unsaid".

Great guitar work, Mike. Love a lesson some time. Thanks for your honesty.

"Don't This Way" never grows old. Those guitars make my heart soar!!!!!!! Cool

08-03-2009 00:54 Ping Pong Over the Abyss is offline Send an Email to Ping Pong Over the Abyss Search for Posts by Ping Pong Over the Abyss Add Ping Pong Over the Abyss to your Buddy List
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

RE: Don't This Way - Best guitar work period. Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Thanks guys for the compliments.

I love all those guitar parts too but it all sounds a little thin to me now -- would love to re-mix the song sometime and fatten it up some.

Mark Tootle wrote him a lovely song there. He loved his wife and his wife hated him -- this was one of many tunes he wrote to try and deal with that. I was responsible for the instrumental intro and outro, but I must credit the band too because I managed to glean all those wonderful parts from a very long rehearsal jam that luckily got recorded.

The song is basically Tootle's, but without the band it would not have been what it became, which is cool.

Doctor Love has attached this image:
Sticks & Stones.jpg

08-03-2009 11:19 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
dennis
Happy Roy

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Love

Mark Tootle wrote him a lovely song there. He loved his wife and his wife hated him -- this was one of many tunes he wrote to try and deal with that.

That sounds like my first marriage.

My wife who loves me back and I saw you perform in Joe's Garage on Friday.
She was the lady who requested "A Quiet Little Place." It's one of her favorite songs if all time.
She still enjoyed the concert... as did I. Cool
08-03-2009 17:03 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Someone New

Thread Starter Thread Started by jakester

Another wow! Michael Roe reads and responds to these posts in person!

A rare privilege to hear from one of my favs. Thanks for making my day, Mike. I'm gonna show my wife and kids.

PS : admired your thoughts from the 1997 interview on the Phantom Tollbooth. Link. Especially the reference to being empty as a christian & others perceptions with that. I relate.

John - Austin, TX.
08-03-2009 20:45 jakester is offline Send an Email to jakester Homepage of jakester Search for Posts by jakester Add jakester to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of jakester: go_speed_racer_2000
dennis
Happy Roy

Cool
08-04-2009 17:31 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Kit Kit is a male
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-587.jpg

Registration Date: 06-02-2004

Hey waddya know, another Austinite.

08-04-2009 20:28 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Homepage of Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
Someone New

Thread Starter Thread Started by jakester

Just doing my part to keep the place weird as the bumper sticker suggests.

John - Austin, TX.
08-04-2009 21:38 jakester is offline Send an Email to jakester Homepage of jakester Search for Posts by jakester Add jakester to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of jakester: go_speed_racer_2000
Sam e. Ching
Someone New

Registration Date: 03-26-2008

I think the guitar work from "I cannot wait till Jesu comes" is pretty strong . . . that's a song that has comforted me a lot in some times of personal grief and loss . . .
08-31-2009 18:37 Sam e. Ching is offline Search for Posts by Sam e. Ching Add Sam e. Ching to your Buddy List
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

images/avatars/avatar-381.gif

Registration Date: 11-17-2004
Favorite 77s album: The one's Mike plays guitar on

Here's Dr Love and Mark, playing "Don't This Way" in Springfield, Mo. (Video footage by Jonathan Dix and Seacock. Video production Seacock)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3jZwteYWFU

The guitar work on this song is some of my all time Dr Love playing, but then again, I am a sucker for that "surf guitar" sound. Whether Doc intended it to be a "surf guitar" sound or not, it's always kinda fit in that niche in my head.

Prime example of a perfect match of "words and music" (obscure reference to some dialog in the movie "Eddie and the Cruisers)

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies
and i don't understand it"

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
09-01-2009 05:46 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
juan ahmal juan ahmal is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-551.jpg

Registration Date: 08-06-2008
Favorite 77s album: TTB

sticks and stones broke my bones Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I haven't listened to Sticks and Stones in a looonnnng time. In 1990 a close friend of mine commited suicide and from then on I sort of attached Don't This Way and that whole album to the memory of that time in my life. Now that nearly twenty years have gone by it's time to listen to it again.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by juan ahmal: 09-01-2009 10:14.

09-01-2009 10:12 juan ahmal is offline Send an Email to juan ahmal Search for Posts by juan ahmal Add juan ahmal to your Buddy List
Unbalanced

My condolences, Juan. Frown

09-01-2009 13:23 Ping Pong Over the Abyss is offline Send an Email to Ping Pong Over the Abyss Search for Posts by Ping Pong Over the Abyss Add Ping Pong Over the Abyss to your Buddy List
Unbalanced

quote:
Originally posted by 77 bc
Here's Dr Love and Mark, playing "Don't This Way" in Springfield, Mo. (Video footage by Jonathan Dix and Seacock. Video production Seacock)

The guitar work on this song is some of my all time Dr Love playing, but then again, I am a sucker for that "surf guitar" sound. Whether Doc intended it to be a "surf guitar" sound or not, it's always kinda fit in that niche in my head.

Prime example of a perfect match of "words and music" (obscure reference to some dialog in the movie "Eddie and the Cruisers)

Thankee for the linkee. LOL--what's up with the Derri Daugherty bashing? Tongue

09-01-2009 13:26 Ping Pong Over the Abyss is offline Send an Email to Ping Pong Over the Abyss Search for Posts by Ping Pong Over the Abyss Add Ping Pong Over the Abyss to your Buddy List
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

images/avatars/avatar-381.gif

Registration Date: 11-17-2004
Favorite 77s album: The one's Mike plays guitar on

quote:
Originally posted by 77 bc

The guitar work on this song is some of my all time FAVORITE Dr Love playing, but then again, I am a sucker for that "surf guitar" sound. Whether Doc intended it to be a "surf guitar" sound or not, it's always kinda fit in that niche in my head.

Duh Huh...I missed a word the first time around when I posted this.

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies
and i don't understand it"

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
09-01-2009 16:43 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
mypetsounds mypetsounds is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 09-29-2008

RE: sticks and stones broke my bones Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Juan - I love the Chesterton quote but I have not read anything by him. Is there a particular book by him that you would recommend?
09-04-2009 06:42 mypetsounds is offline Send an Email to mypetsounds Search for Posts by mypetsounds Add mypetsounds to your Buddy List
MefLiszto MefLiszto is a male
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 06-14-2004

RE: sticks and stones broke my bones Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by mypetsounds
Juan - I love the Chesterton quote but I have not read anything by him. Is there a particular book by him that you would recommend?

You should absolutely read "Orthodoxy".
09-04-2009 08:36 MefLiszto is offline Send an Email to MefLiszto Search for Posts by MefLiszto Add MefLiszto to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of MefLiszto: MefLiszto YIM Account Name of MefLiszto: Feykdrulez
MarkyMark77 MarkyMark77 is a male
Drowning with Land in Sight

images/avatars/avatar-456.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005
Favorite 77s album: 99

quote:
You should absolutely read "Orthodoxy".

And it's sequel (or equal time?), "Heretics".

09-04-2009 09:05 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
juan ahmal juan ahmal is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-551.jpg

Registration Date: 08-06-2008
Favorite 77s album: TTB

quote:
Originally posted by mypetsounds

I would agree Orthodoxy is the one to read.

btw I listened to S&S last night, first time in at least 12 - 15 years. It brought back a flood of memories. It's interesting to know that Don't This Way was about marital problems, because it really captures the feelings one has after a tragic death. I forgot that it was 7 minutes plus long with long instumental sections. The music fits the song perfectly. Also forgot how infectious You Walked In The Room was.

I always assumed the guy on the cover of Sticks And Stones was Mike, now I'm not so sure. Anybody have the scoop on who that was?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by juan ahmal: 09-06-2009 19:42.

09-06-2009 19:39 juan ahmal is offline Send an Email to juan ahmal Search for Posts by juan ahmal Add juan ahmal to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » Don't This Way - Best guitar work period.

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH