77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » Strangest song in the 77s canon » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Strangest song in the 77s canon
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Kit Kit is a male
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-587.jpg

Registration Date: 06-02-2004

Strangest song in the 77s canon Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Earache

what were they doing here? it's like sonic youth crossed with Rush...

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Kit: 07-11-2009 14:20.

07-11-2009 14:19 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Homepage of Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
Ping Pong Over the Abyss Ping Pong Over the Abyss is a male
Unbalanced

images/avatars/avatar-202.gif

Registration Date: 02-21-2006
Favorite 77s album: Too Many...!

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

How about the same album, but Deliverance? I remember reading somewhere that Mike said he got the idea from a very intense nightmare he had, in which he killed someone. Shocked

07-11-2009 16:13 Ping Pong Over the Abyss is offline Send an Email to Ping Pong Over the Abyss Search for Posts by Ping Pong Over the Abyss Add Ping Pong Over the Abyss to your Buddy List
Rod Rod is a male
Baby Elvis

images/avatars/avatar-236.jpg

Registration Date: 08-21-2005
Favorite 77s album: When #s Get Serious

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'd have to got with Five in the Nave, myself.
07-11-2009 16:56 Rod is offline Send an Email to Rod Search for Posts by Rod Add Rod to your Buddy List
Kit Kit is a male
Flower in the Sand

Thread Starter Thread Started by Kit

I guess I never considered Five in the Nave a song, but it's strange indeed.

07-11-2009 17:17 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Homepage of Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
Rod Rod is a male
Baby Elvis

Now, that's funny. My point exactly. Smile
07-11-2009 20:00 Rod is offline Send an Email to Rod Search for Posts by Rod Add Rod to your Buddy List
Kit Kit is a male
Flower in the Sand

quote:
Originally posted by Ping Pong Over the Abyss
How about the same album, but Deliverance? I remember reading somewhere that Mike said he got the idea from a very intense nightmare he had, in which he killed someone. Shocked

Yeah I remember that as well. But "Deliverance" is probably one of the best parts (if not THE best part) of that album.

07-11-2009 22:21 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Homepage of Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

tom tom fest Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

That whole album is weird to me. It sounds weird, the songs are weird, it's just .... it was our first album with Bruce and we were experimenting, finding our way as a new 'power trio' band. We wanted to call it "BRUCE" but he wouldn't go for it. He had a lot to do with it being different and strange, but Mark and I were in on it too. I have never quite understood where that album came from musically. I do know that we locked ourselves in a rehearsal studio for three months and jammed, and recorded all of the jams. I would then go home and listen to all of it and take notes. I only copied and brought back to the guys stuff I found interesting. There's a whole lot more we didn't use that was good -- some of this sort of thing can be found on our "Guilty Pleasures" fan club disc, but there is way cooler stuff than that on those tapes. I would love to release some of the best of it one day just so hardcores can hear what we were up to.

"Deliverance" was indeed about my recurring nightmare of having killed someone and not remembering where I put the body. It's a horrible dream, and I've had it at least 12 times. One of the most terrifying things I've had to go through in my life, because I would imagine that anyone with a conscience would not be able to deal with having murdered a person secretly, gotten away with it and then carried that secret around for the rest of their lives. The first time I had it I sat up in my bed and had to calm myself down for about 45 minutes, trying to convince myself that I had indeed never committed this crime. Well, at least not in that kind of way. Anyone who's participated in an abortion situation knows what I'm talking about, and at the time these dreams were occurring I never ever thought they had anything to do with that, but now I'm not so sure ...

"Five In The Knave" was a story I heard from Robert Vaughn & The Shadows' bass player Anthony Deluz, who's father had boasted about taking on five Navy guys at once in a brawl. I guess when he would get drunk he would reminisce on this and then start to rant loudly in Portuguese broken English, "Five in the knave!! Five in the knave!!" I always found this story amusing and used it in that silly piece which also pays tribute to the old "Slowly I Turned" vaudeville routine popularized by The Three Stooges and others:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slowly_I_Turned

"Earache" is just the three of us bein' bad and jammin' hard. Frank Zappa was a huge hero and influence on me and the guys in so many ways, and this piece is our little tribute to some of his more out there guitar wank ....

Doctor Love has attached this image (reduced version):
Ashley Sad Avery Happy.jpg

07-11-2009 22:40 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
Unbalanced

quote:
Originally posted by Kit
quote:
Originally posted by Ping Pong Over the Abyss

Yeah I remember that as well. But "Deliverance" is probably one of the best parts (if not THE best part) of that album.

Agreed. Especially the "ending." Tongue

07-12-2009 13:03 Ping Pong Over the Abyss is offline Send an Email to Ping Pong Over the Abyss Search for Posts by Ping Pong Over the Abyss Add Ping Pong Over the Abyss to your Buddy List
Kit Kit is a male
Flower in the Sand

Thanks doc Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

...for all the background info on the songs/TTB. I was always curious as to what went into the making of that record.

07-12-2009 16:17 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Homepage of Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
MarkyMark77 MarkyMark77 is a male
Drowning with Land in Sight

images/avatars/avatar-456.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005
Favorite 77s album: 99

Let me just say...

I love TTB. I love the power trio.

But it was a departure from "Pray Naked" and "Drowning" so I understand why some don't share my love.

My band played "Rocks in Your Head" as our opening song for two years. All of us played TTB regularly.

07-12-2009 20:32 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
Kit Kit is a male
Flower in the Sand

quote:
Originally posted by MarkyMark77
Let me just say...

I love TTB. I love the power trio.

But it was a departure from "Pray Naked" and "Drowning" so I understand why some don't share my love.

My band played "Rocks in Your Head" as our opening song for two years. All of us played TTB regularly.

Oh I don't get me wrong, I don't consider TTB to be any kind of dud. I was disappointed at the time it came out that they seemed to have abandoned their mopey pop side, but I actually grew to appreciate the fact that they took some chances on that record. "Rocks In Your Head", "You Still Love Me", "Outskirts", "Flowers in the Sand", "Don't Leave Me Long", and "Deliverance" are all pretty great.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Kit: 07-12-2009 20:55.

07-12-2009 20:54 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Homepage of Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
Cynthia
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-483.jpg

Registration Date: 07-20-2005

Re: tom tom fest Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I've never really listened to that album much at all. It didn't appeal to me, and now I guess I see why.

As far as the dreams go, I don't know a lot about well, anything, but I have opinions and thoughts... I think that sometimes we dream about things that can be so far from the truth they could never happen, because if it was bad but also a truthful revelation, it could hurt so much it would be unbearable, so in a way we dream about something worse but still with meaning, so that the less bad, but truth doesn't hurt as bad. As a way for our mind to protect ourselves and hearts. (I'm not good with verbalizing my thoughts, so I don't know if that makes sense at all.) But they can still have hidden meaning. Like in this case, you would never really murder someone, so it's a way to get a point across without really hurting you emotionally. The real panic here seems to be not in the murder but in the losing of the body. Maybe there was something else bothering you and you were worried about it being too big of a deal. ... I hope this isn't being too pushy, I just don't like seeing anyone struggling with things so I'm offering encouragement. And as depressing as my dumb opinion is, it's still encouragement because what you literally dreamed wasn't true and God's grace is huge. Just remember - I don't know anything about anythings - it's just a dumb opinion.

Also, speaking about not being able to sleep, I've heard that warm milk can create tryptophan (an amino acid) in our bodies and that it is also a sleep agent. You can also buy tryptophan supplements in health food stores. I drink warm milk whenever I have trouble sleeping because I have too much bothering me on my mind, and it has never once not worked. But every one is different. I was just thinking about this because after what happened to Michael Jackson. Those kinds of things can become addictive.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Cynthia: 07-13-2009 07:00.

07-13-2009 06:17 Cynthia is offline Search for Posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your Buddy List
dennis
Happy Roy

images/avatars/avatar-487.jpg

Registration Date: 10-03-2004
Favorite 77s album: "88"

I like Tom Tom Blues a lot.
Big Grin
07-13-2009 07:59 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis
Happy Roy

images/avatars/avatar-487.jpg

Registration Date: 10-03-2004
Favorite 77s album: "88"

Michael Roe/Mark Harmon • Orbis Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

but as long as we are talking strange, how about that wonderfully strange disc "Orbis?"
07-13-2009 08:05 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Registration Date: 06-01-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning with Land in Sight

RE: Michael Roe/Mark Harmon • Orbis Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
but as long as we are talking strange, how about that wonderfully strange disc "Orbis?"

Kudos for Orbis that occurs farther out in the outskirts.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Marti: 07-13-2009 09:22.

07-13-2009 09:22 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
Kit Kit is a male
Flower in the Sand

I keep forgetting I don't have Orbis.

07-13-2009 09:22 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Homepage of Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
juan ahmal juan ahmal is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-551.jpg

Registration Date: 08-06-2008
Favorite 77s album: TTB

people are strange Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

TTB has been my favorite album since I the first time I heard the first notes of Rocks In Your Head, but now that I think of it, I always only listen to side one. Side one (for those of you that have the cassette) just flows so nicely, but side two can be a little disturbing if you're not in the mood. I guess I like Earache though, because it reminds me of The Stellazine Prophesy off Safe As Milk.

07-13-2009 10:18 juan ahmal is offline Send an Email to juan ahmal Search for Posts by juan ahmal Add juan ahmal to your Buddy List
Unbalanced

quote:
Originally posted by Kit
I keep forgetting I don't have Orbis.

Confession time: I've had Orbis forever, but still haven't listened to the whole thing. Red Face

07-13-2009 14:31 Ping Pong Over the Abyss is offline Send an Email to Ping Pong Over the Abyss Search for Posts by Ping Pong Over the Abyss Add Ping Pong Over the Abyss to your Buddy List
Rod Rod is a male
Baby Elvis

Now that I think about it, Pray Naked is a pretty odd song, but one of my all time favorites. It never fails to make me smile. "What's that spell? PRAY NAKED. What's that spell? PRAY NAKED. I'm smiling now.
07-13-2009 14:49 Rod is offline Send an Email to Rod Search for Posts by Rod Add Rod to your Buddy List
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

images/avatars/avatar-381.gif

Registration Date: 11-17-2004
Favorite 77s album: The one's Mike plays guitar on

Shocked Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Rod
Now that I think about it, Pray Naked is a pretty odd song, but one of my all time favorites. It never fails to make me smile. "What's that spell? PRAY NAKED. What's that spell? PRAY NAKED. I'm smiling now.

Just glad you didn't post a pic of you praying naked while smiling!

Shocked

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies
and i don't understand it"

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
07-13-2009 15:32 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » Strangest song in the 77s canon

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH