77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » Brian Healy / D.A.S. - Devils, Angels & Saints » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Brian Healy / D.A.S. - Devils, Angels & Saints
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Kit Kit is a male
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-587.jpg

Registration Date: 06-02-2004

Brian Healy / D.A.S. - Devils, Angels & Saints Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I was just listening to this today. Some of you might know that the doc played on this (as well as Steve Hindalong, Derri D, Sean Doty, and Mike Sauerbrey, etc).

What did you all think of it? I tend to prefer the first record, but there are a lot of great moments on this record as well. My favorite is "Fall Apart", which kind of has a Stoned & Dethroned-era Jesus and Mary Chain feel (only that came out later). Oddly enough, that's one of the few that the doc doesn't seem to play on. I always felt D.A.S. was kind of underrated, even though he does typically get credit for being the "father of Christian goth". blah

Also, I never understood why he didn't want to just call this a Dead Artist Syndrome record rather than "Brian Healy / D.A.S." I know the 2nd record was poppier, but they didn't seem THAT far removed from each other stylistically.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Kit: 06-21-2009 08:40.

06-21-2009 08:26 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Homepage of Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
Rod Rod is a male
Baby Elvis

images/avatars/avatar-236.jpg

Registration Date: 08-21-2005
Favorite 77s album: When #s Get Serious

RE: Brian Healy / D.A.S. - Devils, Angels & Saints Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I actually like that album quite a bit. California Dreaming is always fun to listen to. My wife groans when I play it as she loves the original version.
Mike's playing sounds quite familiar.
06-21-2009 08:49 Rod is offline Send an Email to Rod Search for Posts by Rod Add Rod to your Buddy List
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

RE: Brian Healy / D.A.S. - Devils, Angels & Saints Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'm pretty sure I played on "Fall Apart" too.

I LOVE this album -- one of my faves that I played on, and it comes from a rich long-ago period when Derri and Steve still lived out here and had that studio. We were all so much younger and Gene was still alive and I was still skinny and ...... don't get me started Roll Eyes

Doctor Love has attached these images:
 511_02_04_2005_7_53_49_Devils,Angels,&Sa
ints.jpg
DAS.jpg

06-21-2009 13:00 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
steveruff steveruff is a male
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 06-09-2008
Favorite 77s album: Pray Naked

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I LOVE Dead Artists Syndrome, and I love that the Devil's Angels and Saints band was a who's who in the music world... definitely stay tuned to Down The Line Magazine for some pretty cool upcoming Brian Healy/DAS news... should be coming up within the next month or so.
www.downthelinezine.com

Big Grin
06-22-2009 03:46 steveruff is offline Send an Email to steveruff Search for Posts by steveruff Add steveruff to your Buddy List
Kit Kit is a male
Flower in the Sand

Thread Starter Thread Started by Kit

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Love
I'm pretty sure I played on "Fall Apart" too.

oh.

Well the credits say:

Brian Healy - vox
Derri - electric guitars and bgvs
Michael Sauerbrey - bass
Steve H - drums/perc
Jeff Sheets - keyboards
Sean Doty - bgvs

Can't believe everything you read tho.

06-22-2009 15:43 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Homepage of Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
Doctor Love

Are you faithin' SERIOUS?!?

Dude, Derri played acoustic guitar on one tune, I think. The rest of all that groovy stuff is Doctor -- listen to it! Ain't no way the girl of our group could pull off that kinda jones. I mean, Derri makes a nice night nurse. Maybe even a cool 'head' nurse. But he sure as shit ain't no Doctor ~~ Big Grin

Doctor Love has attached this image:
sad little girl.jpg

06-22-2009 17:31 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
Kit Kit is a male
Flower in the Sand

quote:
Are you faithin' SERIOUS?!?

Dude, Derri played acoustic guitar on one tune, I think. The rest of all that groovy stuff is Doctor -- listen to it! Ain't no way the girl of our group could pull off that kinda jones. I mean, Derri makes a nice night nurse. Maybe even a cool 'head nurse'. But he sure as **** ain't no Doctor ~~ Big Grin

Yeah those are just the credits for "Fall Apart". I used to assume you played on it because that solo sounds Roe-ish, but it didn't seem complex enough to where I felt I could rule out the possibility that it was Derri. But I'll assume you played on it since ya say so. Big Grin Don't know why they cut you out of that one. A misprint perhaps? I mean, this is Eden Records we're talking about. I think they lasted a year. D.A.S., Rivulets & Violets, and Sister Renetha or whatever her name was, probably weren't the sales juggernauts the label hoped they'd be.

06-22-2009 21:04 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Homepage of Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
Doctor Love

Oh .... ok. If that was the case, I did play on it but frickin' girl Derri mixed my part out and put his girly little wimpy acoustic guitar front and center. I am totally remembering that now.

Oh well ..... he produced it so who am I .....

98778835_d8d1e84a39.jpg

06-22-2009 23:45 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
Alex Alex is a male
Mr. Magoo

images/avatars/avatar-115.jpg

Registration Date: 05-01-2005
Favorite 77s album: Eighty Eight

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The first DAS record - except for "Christmas" - somehow never really caught me that much... but you can bet the second one did. I forbid myself to say anything about the sound of album No.3... but "Saving Grace" is great again.

Alex

06-23-2009 13:48 Alex is offline Send an Email to Alex Homepage of Alex Search for Posts by Alex Add Alex to your Buddy List
me-is-e
Drowning with Land in Sight

images/avatars/avatar-215.jpg

Registration Date: 03-14-2006
Favorite 77s album: the one I'm listening to

I remember Brian Healy opening for The 77's sometime in '96 on the TTB tour. Dave L. played acoustic guitar and it was just the two of them, so it was a fairly cool way to hear the music. I don't know which album it was from, but I still remember the one called 'Bride Song' (I think), starting with "you know I love you Jesus but I can't understand your wife." Stand out of that part of the show for me.

06-23-2009 17:27 me-is-e is offline Send an Email to me-is-e Homepage of me-is-e Search for Posts by me-is-e Add me-is-e to your Buddy List
MarkyMark77 MarkyMark77 is a male
Drowning with Land in Sight

images/avatars/avatar-456.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005
Favorite 77s album: 99

I saw that tour as well. I remember thinking at the time, "what the crap is this crap?" and wondering how this guy got the opening slot for a 7's tour.

I dig Brian's stuff now, but I was a lot less open minded about music back then.

06-23-2009 19:20 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
Doctor Love

Crappy Hour Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

You can thank mix engineer Thom Roy for the crap sound on Happy Hour. Mark, Dave and I put a lot of work into making Brian's "77s album", but the drum machine was supposed to be replaced with proper programming or drums. Thom just couldn't be bothered so he printed Dave's scratch drum machine tracks AS IS. Sounds like hell.

The arrangements on that album suck too, but I like most of my solos Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by Alex
The first DAS record - except for "Christmas" - somehow never really caught me that much... but you can bet the second one did. I forbid myself to say anything about the sound of album No.3... but "Saving Grace" is great again.

Alex

511_02_04_2005_8_15_25_HappyHour.jpg

06-23-2009 19:33 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
Kit Kit is a male
Flower in the Sand

The only song I really dug from Happy Hour was "Y.S.D." Everything else just kind of left me confused that this was the same guy behind the first 2 records. I didn't really get into Jesus Wants You to Buy This Record (his version of a b-sides/rarities comp) or Saving Grace either, although the production is decent on the latter.

*edit*
Actually, the live version of "Christmas" on Jesus Wants You to Buy This Record is kinda cool.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Kit: 06-23-2009 19:51.

06-23-2009 19:40 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Homepage of Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
Rick_Blaine Rick_Blaine is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 05-12-2009
Favorite 77s album: Just Play it Sam

You all REALLY need his complete disc of "Jesus Wants You To Buy THIS Record". Brian calls it "The limited edition Obligatory Cornerstone Release".

A lot of the recording is pretty awful, but it has some exteremly cool stuff on it. Not to mention a couple of tracks being performed live with the 77s as the his band. He has a classic cover of Surrender and replaces the "Got my Kiss records out" with Go my Cheap Trick records out.

Guest appearances by Gym Nicholson - Undercover
Eric Clayton - Saviour Machine
Jeff Elbel - Ping & Farewell to Juliet

I wonder how many of those are in circulation? Darn few I would guess

06-24-2009 05:32 Rick_Blaine is offline Send an Email to Rick_Blaine Search for Posts by Rick_Blaine Add Rick_Blaine to your Buddy List
Baby Elvis

More Brian Healy news!!!

The new "all Goth" issue of Down the Line is up and available as a free download. Click on http://www.downthelinezine.com Brian Healy of Dead Artist Syndrome is the cover story, also interviews with Seventh Circle, BATTZ In The Belfry and I-Dragon-I which is comprised of former members of Wedding Party. Concert reviews, album reviews and more... as always, the download is 100% free. Read it and leave us some feedback!
08-10-2009 12:20 steveruff is offline Send an Email to steveruff Search for Posts by steveruff Add steveruff to your Buddy List
Doctor Love

I don't understand this download. It only contains the cover, three brief review/interview thingies and an article about a band but it cuts off. What gives?
08-11-2009 00:14 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
Baby Elvis

quote:
I don't understand this download. It only contains the cover, three brief review/interview thingies and an article about a band but it cuts off. What gives?

Try it again Doc... I don't know what's happening with yours. This issue has a 7 page interview with Brian, interviews with 7th Circle, I-Dragon-I anf BATTZ In The Belfrey - also has several pages of cd reviews and a live review & pics of the Crucified reunion show... there's around 27 pages in all...
08-11-2009 04:34 steveruff is offline Send an Email to steveruff Search for Posts by steveruff Add steveruff to your Buddy List
Baby Elvis

quote:

Actually Doc Love, check your email, I emailed you a copy. It is an adobe pdf so make sure you have adobe reader - it's a free download if you don't already have it. The good Doctor does of course have a mention in Brian's article.
08-11-2009 04:41 steveruff is offline Send an Email to steveruff Search for Posts by steveruff Add steveruff to your Buddy List
grandeped grandeped is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 08-20-2008
Favorite 77s album: Pray naked

quote:

Are you looking at it on a Mac, using the Preview program? I looked at in that last night, and it did the same thing to me. It listed the three sections on the right hand list, instead of each page. I had to use the page down button on the top toolbar to get to each page - kind of a weird Mac thing. Don't know if that is our problem or not, but that is what happened to me on a Mac.
08-11-2009 09:53 grandeped is offline Send an Email to grandeped Homepage of grandeped Search for Posts by grandeped Add grandeped to your Buddy List
Ping Pong Over the Abyss Ping Pong Over the Abyss is a male
Unbalanced

images/avatars/avatar-202.gif

Registration Date: 02-21-2006
Favorite 77s album: Too Many...!

I didn't have any problems to speak of. I use an Acer laptop with Mozilla Firefox browser. Perhaps it is a Mac thing. Shocked

08-11-2009 10:42 Ping Pong Over the Abyss is offline Send an Email to Ping Pong Over the Abyss Search for Posts by Ping Pong Over the Abyss Add Ping Pong Over the Abyss to your Buddy List
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » Brian Healy / D.A.S. - Devils, Angels & Saints

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH