77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » The Ocean Blue's cover of "Renaissance Man" » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page The Ocean Blue's cover of "Renaissance Man"
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Kit Kit is a male
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-587.jpg

Registration Date: 06-02-2004

The Ocean Blue's cover of "Renaissance Man" Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

They used to have a 30 second snippet of this on their old site, but I'd really like to hear the whole version. Anyone know how to go about hearing this thing?

05-27-2009 18:55 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Homepage of Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

RE: The Ocean Blue's cover of "Renaissance Man" Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I have it on a 12" rare promo single. Maybe I could make an mp3 and post it somehow. I'll ask the Townsend Brothers if I can do that using the 77s server. It's a great track!

Doctor Love has attached this image:
oceanblue.jpg

05-27-2009 19:33 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
Kit Kit is a male
Flower in the Sand

Thread Starter Thread Started by Kit
RE: The Ocean Blue's cover of "Renaissance Man" Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Awesome. Looks like an old Gap or Structure ad. I think they pretty much still look the same 20 years later too. Must be nice.

Also...

http://www.bestlaw.com/attorneys/schelzel.htm

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Kit: 05-27-2009 20:07.

05-27-2009 20:05 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Homepage of Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-92.jpeg

Registration Date: 05-27-2004

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

THink I might have an MP3 of it.... I'll check.
05-27-2009 20:17 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Administrator

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

OK, I do have it but I put it on a CDR somewhere. Big Grin I have several spindles of discs and it should be found on one of those - probably with some other MP3s. I'll take a quick look tonight and see if I can put it up.
05-27-2009 20:40 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
freak freak is a male
Unbalanced

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning With Land In Sight

thanks for asking kit...

yes please!

~f

Dennis, the Dr. Rich, for Blackboard President
05-29-2009 05:55 freak is offline Send an Email to freak Search for Posts by freak Add freak to your Buddy List
me-is-e
Drowning with Land in Sight

images/avatars/avatar-215.jpg

Registration Date: 03-14-2006
Favorite 77s album: the one I'm listening to

Yeah, thank you! Really looking forward to the post.

05-29-2009 06:17 me-is-e is offline Send an Email to me-is-e Homepage of me-is-e Search for Posts by me-is-e Add me-is-e to your Buddy List
Administrator

I haven't found the right disc yet, but I think I know where it is. I'll keep everyone updated.
05-29-2009 10:01 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Doctor Love

Can't wait to hear that again -- they did a great job.

I met the guys once at a concert we did together and they apologized for the 'rough' quality of it (not true!) -- they claimed to have cut the track in one day and were in a hurry. Sure didn't sound like it ...

Doctor Love has attached this image (reduced version):
carl_sagan.jpg

Doctor Love has attached this image:
Carl-Sagan.jpg

05-29-2009 11:49 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
jeffrey k. jeffrey k. is a male
Mr. Magoo

images/avatars/avatar-353.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2004

I have it... I'll keep this link active for a couple weeks:

http://www.yousendit.com/download/MnFqTGt4bEFFd2RMWEE9PQ

Also, for you Smiths fans, here's a great live version of the Ocean Blue covering "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out..."

https://www.yousendit.com/download/MnFqTGs0QTZsUitGa1E9PQ

I've been a fan of these guys since...late 80's...seen them live a few times. Their guitar player, Oed Ronnie lives really close to me. I've bumped into him at Wal-Mart...blew both our "indie-cred" with that one!

jeffrey k.

05-29-2009 13:46 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
Doctor Love

Thanks Jeff!

Doctor Love has attached this image (reduced version):
Laruppin\' Sauce.jpg

05-29-2009 14:00 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
MarkyMark77 MarkyMark77 is a male

images/avatars/avatar-456.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005
Favorite 77s album: 99

I've never heard of these guys. Thanks for the heads up!

05-29-2009 14:48 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
Kit Kit is a male
Flower in the Sand

Thread Starter Thread Started by Kit

quote:
Originally posted by MarkyMark77

They're a favorite of mine. Discovered them in 1992 through my purchase of Cerulean, thought they sounded perhaps a bit too twee but still listened to it enough to let it sink in. Went back to it 5 years later and loved it even more....gaffled up the rest of their catalogue. Just wish I could see 'em live.

Their first record (1989) was a fun blast of indie pop/new wave.

Their second, Cerulean (1991), is my favorite. Very dream pop-ish kind of like The Choir's Circle Slide.

Then they put out Beneath the Rhythm and Sound (1993), which still maintained that dream pop element but was a little more commercial and upbeat.

They left Sire/Reprise and released their 4th record, See (1996) on Mercury, but it was shortly abandoned by said label. It was their most aggressive effort as you could hear influences of brit pop/rock seeping in. They had a new guy join the line up, Oed Ronne from The Orange Peels and he shared vocal duties.

The last full length they put out was Davey Jones' Locker (2000) independently, which sounded like a stripped down hybrid of their 4 previous records. It's my least favorite but has some strong tracks like "Ayn" and "Denmark".

The last thing they put out was an ep called Waterworks, which I didn't get completely into as a whole but I like the song"Sunshower".

They've been saying for the past, oh, 5 years that they are working on a new record but it has yet to materialize.

And thanks Jeff for posting this. Been wanting to hear this forever.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Kit: 05-29-2009 18:53.

05-29-2009 18:49 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Homepage of Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
me-is-e

images/avatars/avatar-215.jpg

Registration Date: 03-14-2006
Favorite 77s album: the one I'm listening to

quote:
Originally posted by Kit
quote:
Originally posted by MarkyMark77

They're a favorite of mine. Discovered them in 1992 through my purchase of Cerulean,

Yeah, I was trying to remember the name of that album. Cerulean was when I first heard Ocean Blue too when I started at our college radio station. Great songs from that one.

05-29-2009 20:27 me-is-e is offline Send an Email to me-is-e Homepage of me-is-e Search for Posts by me-is-e Add me-is-e to your Buddy List
Audiori J
unregistered

Did that Mustard Dill sauce kill a fish?
05-30-2009 09:57
mypetsounds mypetsounds is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 09-29-2008

In case the link above is taken down, these songs are both available at The Ocean Blue's Yahoo group:

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/TheOceanBlue/

mps
05-30-2009 17:08 mypetsounds is offline Send an Email to mypetsounds Search for Posts by mypetsounds Add mypetsounds to your Buddy List
77sfan 77sfan is a male

images/avatars/avatar-231.jpg

Registration Date: 06-08-2007
Favorite 77s album: The Island Album

That's a great cover, but I still like the 77s verison the best.

~Saint Augustine~
05-30-2009 18:02 77sfan is offline Search for Posts by 77sfan Add 77sfan to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of 77sfan: gj100xtra
dennis
Happy Roy

images/avatars/avatar-487.jpg

Registration Date: 10-03-2004
Favorite 77s album: "88"

quote:
Originally posted by jeffrey k.
I have it... I'll keep this link active for a couple weeks:

http://www.yousendit.com/download/MnFqTGt4bEFFd2RMWEE9PQ

Also, for you Smiths fans, here's a great live version of the Ocean Blue covering "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out..."

https://www.yousendit.com/download/MnFqTGs0QTZsUitGa1E9PQ

I've been a fan of these guys since...late 80's...seen them live a few times. Their guitar player, Oed Ronnie lives really close to me. I've bumped into him at Wal-Mart...blew both our "indie-cred" with that one!

jeffrey k.

Love The Smiths!

I heard that The Ocean Blue started out as a DA cover band.
Any recordings of any of that?
Confused
07-13-2009 08:10 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » The Ocean Blue's cover of "Renaissance Man"

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH