77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » Old and Lonesome » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Old and Lonesome
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Carl Salad
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 08-27-2008

Old and Lonesome Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Here's the original. Jimmy Reed singing "Cold and Lonesome."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMn_Lc2tGFQ

Carl Salad has attached this image (reduced version):
JimmyReed.jpg

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Carl Salad: 12-29-2008 13:41.

12-29-2008 13:40 Carl Salad is offline Send an Email to Carl Salad Search for Posts by Carl Salad Add Carl Salad to your Buddy List
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

RE: Old and Lonesome Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I took the liberty to swap out Carl's original pic to the one you now see above because it wasn't the Jimmy Reed we all know and love. That was 'Lil Jimmy Reed', an impostor who's claim to fame was subbing for the genuine article when he was too drunk to take the stage one night.

It also irks me that Carl's link takes you to Jimmy's song but once again posts a pic of imposter 'Lil'. It makes mincemeat of Mr. Reed's legend, but I suppose my obviously plagiarized version of his song did that as well. Though I don't completely regret doing it 'cuz it turned out pretty good, I am still puzzled as to why I chose to do this. I believe we were short on material and I was desperate to come up with something cool. Since the Dogs at that time represented to me a kind of freedom to experiment with stuff the 77s wouldn't touch, I was curious to try and do a tribute (ok, 'ape') version of that song but make it my own somehow.

In the end, the tribute was there, but the 'my own' part wasn't. Jimmy's original song was fine, and I do regret changing the lyrics and title up. I should have also given him full credit, especially since he spent most of his life getting cheated out of royalties and having other bands like Led Zeppelin rip him off. (Check out "Bring It On Home" from Led Zeppelin II -- the second verse is totally copped from Jimmy's "Let's Get Together" off of his Just Jimmy Reed album cut in 1962)

The session for the song was hilarious as the guys were reticent to try and play blues of any kind, especially this type of low-down Delta-gone-to-Chicago stuff that Reed trafficked in. Fortunately, they did a great job. Derri claims this was the very first time he ever played blues of any kind on a recording. C'est la vie say the old folks, it goes to show you never can tell ....

Doctor Love has attached these images:
reedjimmy_imjimmy.jpg
reedjimmy_rockinwithreed.jpg
ji1.jpg
Jimmy Reed - Front.jpg

12-29-2008 18:09 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
Carl Salad
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 08-27-2008

Thread Starter Thread Started by Carl Salad
RE: Old and Lonesome Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Thanks for that info, Mike. I've always loved your song and have recently fallen in love with Jimmy Reed too.

I had no idea that impostor Jimmys were running around. I'll be on the lookout.
12-29-2008 18:48 Carl Salad is offline Send an Email to Carl Salad Search for Posts by Carl Salad Add Carl Salad to your Buddy List
77sfan 77sfan is a male

images/avatars/avatar-231.jpg

Registration Date: 06-08-2007
Favorite 77s album: The Island Album

Don't ever let anyone imposter yer jimmy. Shocked

~Saint Augustine~
12-29-2008 20:45 77sfan is offline Search for Posts by 77sfan Add 77sfan to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of 77sfan: gj100xtra
ciniree
Baby Elvis

images/avatars/avatar-518.jpg

Registration Date: 08-03-2008
Favorite 77s album: HGB

Glad it was remade Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I really love that song, but had no idea it was written by someone else. I'm not really very up on that kind of thing.
12-30-2008 06:33 ciniree is offline Send an Email to ciniree Search for Posts by ciniree Add ciniree to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » Old and Lonesome

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH