77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » Favorite guitar solos » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Favorite guitar solos 2 Votes - Average Rating: 5.50
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Carl Salad
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 08-27-2008

Favorite guitar solos Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I just got a bootleg of Mike Roe and Mark Harmon playing at Park Crest Assembly of God (2004), and there's a long and beautiful guitar solo on "Go with God."

So what are the best guitar solos in the Mike Roe/Lost Dogs/77's oeuvre?
11-20-2008 15:02 Carl Salad is offline Send an Email to Carl Salad Search for Posts by Carl Salad Add Carl Salad to your Buddy List
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-546.jpg

Registration Date: 09-30-2004
Favorite 77s album: Tom Tom Blues

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I really dig Mike's solo on Eleanor, It's Raining Now by Lost Dogs - Live at Katy , Tex this past summer.

11-20-2008 20:00 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

images/avatars/avatar-381.gif

Registration Date: 11-17-2004
Favorite 77s album: The one's Mike plays guitar on

RE: Favorite guitar solos Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Carl Salad
I just got a bootleg of Mike Roe and Mark Harmon playing at Park Crest Assembly of God (2004), and there's a long and beautiful guitar solo on "Go with God."

I may have to drag out the DVD of that show and give it another listen.

Cool

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies
and i don't understand it"

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
11-20-2008 20:42 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
me-is-e
Drowning with Land in Sight

images/avatars/avatar-215.jpg

Registration Date: 03-14-2006
Favorite 77s album: the one I'm listening to

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

That is challenge to come up with off hand. I think I did like "Go with God" from that show, but enjoyed the extension of "Love Like Gold" even more. Very Mike in the Jerry Garcia vein to me. I do love that stuff!

I remember some performances on the official DVD I enjoy too. I need to take another look to name names.

11-20-2008 21:51 me-is-e is offline Send an Email to me-is-e Homepage of me-is-e Search for Posts by me-is-e Add me-is-e to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-446.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2004

RE: Favorite guitar solos Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by 77 bc
quote:

Cool

make sure to check out terry's solo on "dust on the bible". it's great, and the young people love it!

11-21-2008 02:33 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Homepage of larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of larryl: nashvillelarryl YIM Account Name of larryl: larryl922
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

Run Run Rudolph Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I thought this thread would be about my recorded solos, not obscure hard-to-trace bootleg DVD and soundboard solos.

The amount of recorded solos I've done over the years (including ones on projects I've produced or guested on) are too numerous to corral into one favorite, but off the top of my head one of my favorites of all time is the one on "Run Rudolph Run" from Happy Chrimbo. If we ever do a Greatest Hits album, this track will be on it -- it is by far and away the best version of this song available by anyone, anywhere, and that includes Chuck Berry's AND Keith Richards' one. Dave Edmunds tried it too, and so did Bon Jovi. Our version rules, and it's more Chuck Berry than Chuck himself! (just listen to that fade-out and you will feel like I did when I was a small child and thrilled to those cool fade-outs on my old Chuck Berry records. There's something magical about these things that just can't be planned. To God be the Gloria ~~)

We tip our hats to all the versions that have gone before us and could not have done ours without theirs for inspiration, but I'm sorry folks -- our Rudolph rules!!! Get a really good set of headphones and put this on and just try to not butt rock.

Just sayin' .... Big Grin
11-21-2008 07:54 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
77sfan 77sfan is a male

images/avatars/avatar-231.jpg

Registration Date: 06-08-2007
Favorite 77s album: The Island Album

RE: Run Run Rudolph Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Wow Doc. don't break yer arm pattin yerself on the back! Big Grin

~Saint Augustine~
11-21-2008 18:19 77sfan is offline Search for Posts by 77sfan Add 77sfan to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of 77sfan: gj100xtra
Doctor Love

RE: Run Run Rudolph Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Well, it's not quite all that. I always marvel when a recording comes out like this because there is something fundamentally mysterious about the whole thing. You only have so much control over it. If we went back to do it all again, it would never sound the same.

Most folks know how critical I am of almost all of our work, so when I think something is cool I get pretty worked up about it because that's generally rare for me ~~ Cool
11-21-2008 23:13 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
TJ 2.0
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-413.gif

Registration Date: 09-13-2004
Favorite 77s album: Island/Sticks and Stones/88

I have always said, and still say, that the extended solo on the "88" version of "Can't Get Over It" is one of the main reasons I learned guitar almost 20 years ago.

That, and the lead in "Don't, This Way" shaped my early guitar playing, without a doubt.
11-22-2008 06:15 TJ 2.0 is offline Send an Email to TJ 2.0 Homepage of TJ 2.0 Search for Posts by TJ 2.0 Add TJ 2.0 to your Buddy List
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

images/avatars/avatar-381.gif

Registration Date: 11-17-2004
Favorite 77s album: The one's Mike plays guitar on

quote:
Originally posted by 77 bc
quote:

Cool

That's the song that the sound guy had trouble with the sound board. I think Mike's guitar wound up getting a sudden 20db boost. At the end of "Dig My Heels", you can hear Mark say "Dude, your guitar is so loud, I can't hear a thing"

There are so many memorable and incredible solo's that Mike's done, that, for me, it's impossible to pick. After straying away from the band, due to being disappointed by AFD (like the songs, don't care for Charlie's influence), the song/guitar work that pulled me in like a tractor beam, was "Don't This Way" from Sticks & Stones.

"Say So Long..." on FWS, and the Dick Dale influenced solo on "Ride the Waves" (actually I hear more of a Jim Thomas sound) would be close seconds.

I haven't said it in a LONG time, but for me, FWS ranks WAY up there in my all time favorite recordings. I would consider it to be Mike & Mark's "Pet Sounds" of their collective catalog. I am sure that with all the layers of stuff in there, it was a real labor of love to mix/produce, and I am thankful that you guys decided to share the love!

While I like a LOT of guitar players, and their style, when I think "favorite" guitar players, I am drawn back to the ones that can fill space and time with something melodic & memorable. For me, this puts Mike at a level, for me, that includes the company of Mark Knopfler & David Gilmour.

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies
and i don't understand it"

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
11-22-2008 06:30 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
77sfan 77sfan is a male

images/avatars/avatar-231.jpg

Registration Date: 06-08-2007
Favorite 77s album: The Island Album

quote:
Originally posted by 77sfan
Wow Doc. don't break yer arm pattin yerself on the back!

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Love
Well, it's not quite all that. I always marvel when a recording comes out like this because there is something fundamentally mysterious about the whole thing. You only have so much control over it. If we went back to do it all again, it would never sound the same.

Most folks know how critical I am of almost all of our work, so when I think something is cool I get pretty worked up about it because that's generally rare for me ~~ Cool

Oh, I know how critical you are of your work, I was just pokin fun at ya. Big Grin

~Saint Augustine~
11-22-2008 07:42 77sfan is offline Search for Posts by 77sfan Add 77sfan to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of 77sfan: gj100xtra
MarkyMark77 MarkyMark77 is a male

images/avatars/avatar-456.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005
Favorite 77s album: 99

When I play solos, they usually come from a combination of David Gilmour and Mike.

FWS is great. I love the vibe of the record.

11-22-2008 13:57 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
Carl Salad
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 08-27-2008

Thread Starter Thread Started by Carl Salad

Great solos:

Lovely Man
Stranger Won't You Change Your Sinful Ways
Mary and the Baby Elvis
You Don't Scare Me (beginning of the 88 version)
11-22-2008 21:19 Carl Salad is offline Send an Email to Carl Salad Search for Posts by Carl Salad Add Carl Salad to your Buddy List
Doctor Love

Doc's picks Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I like all of those!

quote:
Great solos:

Lovely Man
Stranger Won't You Change Your Sinful Ways
Mary and the Baby Elvis
You Don't Scare Me (beginning of the 88 version)
11-22-2008 21:23 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
MefLiszto MefLiszto is a male
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 06-14-2004

I love the Nuts For You extended jam on the "It's For You". Also, I think the outtro guitar licks on Don't, This Way really leave the listener with the feeling of unrequited longing implied in that song.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by MefLiszto: 11-22-2008 21:34.

11-22-2008 21:29 MefLiszto is offline Send an Email to MefLiszto Search for Posts by MefLiszto Add MefLiszto to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of MefLiszto: MefLiszto YIM Account Name of MefLiszto: Feykdrulez
juan ahmal juan ahmal is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-551.jpg

Registration Date: 08-06-2008
Favorite 77s album: TTB

I've always loved the solo at the end of Some Kind of Dream on The Boat Ashore. There's something about the way it starts picking up just as the song begins to fade out that makes me sit in silence wishing I could hear just a few seconds more of it.

11-24-2008 09:34 juan ahmal is offline Send an Email to juan ahmal Search for Posts by juan ahmal Add juan ahmal to your Buddy List
Doctor Love

The wildest thing about the first half of this solo is that it was copied note for note from a fake guitar solo done on a keyboard on Bruce Spencer's original demo -- the part where the guitar does a pig squeal was a total surprise, but that phrase was me still trying to play Bruce's solo exactly to the letter. After the piggy, I went off on my own merry way. I completely forgot about that solo, but I was quite proud of it at the time. I would have never played anything like that without Bruce's influence so you can thank him for that one.

quote:
Originally posted by juan ahmal
I've always loved the solo at the end of Some Kind of Dream on The Boat Ashore. There's something about the way it starts picking up just as the song begins to fade out that makes me sit in silence wishing I could hear just a few seconds more of it.
11-30-2008 22:16 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-546.jpg

Registration Date: 09-30-2004
Favorite 77s album: Tom Tom Blues

quote:
Originally posted by juan ahmal

The chorus on that song always reminds me of Eric Clapton

12-01-2008 16:05 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
Kit Kit is a male
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-587.jpg

Registration Date: 06-02-2004

Roe's got some cool guitar work on the Love Coma song, "She Was". You can hear a 30 second snippet of it if you go to the below link and click on "She Was" in the selection of tracks available for purchase. Mike's guitar work begins at the 0:18 mark in the sample (actually, he could have been strumming before that too, but I think it's just Chris). Mike pretty much solos on the parts all throughout the song where Chris isn't singing. Anyways, good stuff. It's a shame more people haven't heard it.

http://www.myspace.com/officialchristaylormusic

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Kit: 12-01-2008 23:21.

12-01-2008 23:20 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Homepage of Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
Ron E Ron E is a male

images/avatars/avatar-294.gif

Registration Date: 05-19-2005
Favorite 77s album: Sticks and Stones

As a Daddy, how do you encourage the kind of talent being talked about? Bruce, the drummer, picks up (figuratively) the keyboard and plays an imaginary guitar riff. The guitarist then copies it. I know there has to be some kind of inner talent, but I really believe there have been a lot of amazing talents that died breathing coal dust, sweeping buildings, or worse as politicians because they never got to try anything amazing. I don't want my kids to be those people.

Am I wrong? Does the cream always rise?

12-02-2008 09:22 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » Favorite guitar solos

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH