77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » Jack Scott and other things I learned » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Jack Scott and other things I learned
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
dennis
Happy Roy

images/avatars/avatar-487.jpg

Registration Date: 10-03-2004
Favorite 77s album: "88"

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Joey T.
what exactly is a carl salad?
is it made with negative fruit? Shocked

Tongue

Shocked
09-10-2008 15:02 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
nick nick is a male
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 12-02-2004

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Ahh man. Looking at Mike's list I see Holand on there by the BB. I sooo love that album! Even the weird Brian tracks Mt. Vernon etc. It is such a good album and has imho Love's best vocal on the cali suite songs! Such a good period for them and the CD repackage has Carl and the passions with it which is very good also!

Oh yeah on topic..... Strawmen of course, Lost Dogs of course, DAS, Steve Scott, Charlie Peacock, Adam Again, DA, there were quite a few becasue the 77s were the first "alternative Christian" music I picked up and I always like to know background stuff and love figuring out links to other bands so when I then (at around the same time) heard the CHoir and that they were in the Lost Dogs....man that opened MANY doors!!! but I started listening to the classic music through the decades (starting in the 50's) and had a hip brother who turned me on to some cool music : ) But now some of these blues guys are going to deserve some digging!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by nick: 09-12-2008 19:38.

09-12-2008 19:34 nick is offline Send an Email to nick Search for Posts by nick Add nick to your Buddy List
Pharmjimmy Pharmjimmy is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-486.gif

Registration Date: 05-10-2008
Favorite 77s album: 88

Barry McGuire's Eve of Destruction. I wasn't that familiar with the stuff until I heard Mike put it in front of Lust.
Yes I know its a classic...I'm a little slow.

to•ma•to ef•fect\n, 1: a term coined in medicine meaning the rejection of effective medical treatments because they conflict with currently accepted medical theories; 2: the tomato was not eaten in the U.S. until 1820... thought to be poisonous.
09-29-2008 17:33 Pharmjimmy is offline Send an Email to Pharmjimmy Homepage of Pharmjimmy Search for Posts by Pharmjimmy Add Pharmjimmy to your Buddy List
mypetsounds mypetsounds is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 09-29-2008

Fleetwood Mac... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I saw Mike's list a few years ago and checked out most of the artists. I was most interested in his comment about Fleetwood Mac's Tusk (I still hope to make one that feels like this one day). Listened to the poor quality, 30 second clips at www.cdnow.com and was hooked. Bought the disc that day (along with the two immediately prior FM records). Some good tunes.

Which reminds me, the new Lindsey Buckingham is not bad.

Man, that Tusk record really is good.

mypetsounds

(In the interest of full disclosure, I have also posted on this board as "DoItForLove." I am trying to consolidate all the IDs I use on music-related message boards into one. As well, I believe I posted here long ago as "quirk" or "quirkland.")

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by mypetsounds: 09-29-2008 21:38.

09-29-2008 21:36 mypetsounds is offline Send an Email to mypetsounds Search for Posts by mypetsounds Add mypetsounds to your Buddy List
ciniree
Baby Elvis

images/avatars/avatar-518.jpg

Registration Date: 08-03-2008
Favorite 77s album: HGB

quote:
Originally posted by Pharmjimmy
Barry McGuire's Eve of Destruction. I wasn't that familiar with the stuff until I heard Mike put it in front of Lust.
Yes I know its a classic...I'm a little slow.

Ditto
09-30-2008 09:11 ciniree is offline Send an Email to ciniree Search for Posts by ciniree Add ciniree to your Buddy List
Chesterdox Chesterdox is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-198.jpg

Registration Date: 06-05-2006
Favorite 77s album: Holy Ghost Building

RE: Apologies to Brother Ray Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by me-is-e
[quote]Originally posted by Doctor Love
A good part of the lyric idea for Outskirts was 'borrowed' from or 'inspired' by ..... ok 'lifted' off "I'm Gonna Move To The Outskirts of Town" from Ray Charles' "Genius + Soul = Jazz" album.

Talent borrows, genius steals.

Ha! I always loved that line.

I'm trying to find a recording of the Ray Charles version to have a little compare and contrasting fun. Sounds like it might be in line with the recording I mentioned though-a quick search of Amazon listed 233 recordings of that title! Shocked

Check your email... I've got 'em both on my work computer & contrasting right now. Big Grin

09-30-2008 11:45 Chesterdox is offline Send an Email to Chesterdox Homepage of Chesterdox Search for Posts by Chesterdox Add Chesterdox to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Chesterdox: none YIM Account Name of Chesterdox: none View the MSN Profile for Chesterdox
Chesterdox Chesterdox is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-198.jpg

Registration Date: 06-05-2006
Favorite 77s album: Holy Ghost Building

When I saw the video clip of Mike playing with Larry Norman at that cafe I was inspired to finally check out old Larry more than I had previously. I really like Lonely By Myself & Nightmare off of So Long Ago the Garden.

09-30-2008 11:55 Chesterdox is offline Send an Email to Chesterdox Homepage of Chesterdox Search for Posts by Chesterdox Add Chesterdox to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Chesterdox: none YIM Account Name of Chesterdox: none View the MSN Profile for Chesterdox
me-is-e
Drowning with Land in Sight

images/avatars/avatar-215.jpg

Registration Date: 03-14-2006
Favorite 77s album: the one I'm listening to

RE: Apologies to Brother Ray Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Chesterdox
quote:
Originally posted by me-is-e
[quote]Originally posted by Doctor Love
A good part of the lyric idea for Outskirts was 'borrowed' from or 'inspired' by ..... ok 'lifted' off "I'm Gonna Move To The Outskirts of Town" from Ray Charles' "Genius + Soul = Jazz" album.

Talent borrows, genius steals.

Ha! I always loved that line.

I'm trying to find a recording of the Ray Charles version to have a little compare and contrasting fun. Sounds like it might be in line with the recording I mentioned though-a quick search of Amazon listed 233 recordings of that title! Shocked

Check your email... I've got 'em both on my work computer & contrasting right now. Big Grin

Hey, a big thank you there! Pleased

Wow, the Ray Charles is a lot like the Jimmy Witherspoon/Jack McDuff version. Ray Charles is maybe a slower paced, varied arrangement (although I don't know who's version came first or from who). They're all really impressive and great to hear.

Now if there was only a way to have an 'evolutions of a song' package that Mike could sell and be a genre crossover sensation. Maybe this marketing gimmic only works for Star Wars action figure packaging though. Tongue

09-30-2008 15:29 me-is-e is offline Send an Email to me-is-e Homepage of me-is-e Search for Posts by me-is-e Add me-is-e to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-188.jpg

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Location: "i find your lack of faith disturbing.."- darth vader

Tongue! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by dennis
quote:

Tongue

Shocked

still awaiting your reply.......... Tongue

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

facebook
09-30-2008 15:46 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005
juan ahmal juan ahmal is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-551.jpg

Registration Date: 08-06-2008
Favorite 77s album: TTB

Jack Scott et al. Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

All the influences I gained from listening to the 77s would be too numerous to list here, however, a few come to mind: Jesus Loves You, Brian Wilson prompted me to buy Pet Sounds and later on Smile, when it finally came out. Baby Please Don't Go in the middle of Mercy, Mercy on 88 prompted me to buy The best Of Van Morrison/Them. After Fun With Sound came out I decided I wanted to find out why practically every band on earth has covered Blind Willie Johnson, so I bought his collected works. Later, someone wanted the lyics to I'm Gonna Run (the Fun With Sound version), so I sat down and listened to Blind Willie's version for hours til I thought I had them all and then posted them under an old psudonym, Jopawil. Perhaps the biggest influence was Denomination Blues, which I did not like at first because I was into New Wave and synth music at the time. Later I grew to like it, and it inspired an intrest in all the alt-country scene, e.g. T-bone Burnett, Peter Case, John Hiatt, Uncle Tupelo, and on and on.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by juan ahmal: 10-03-2008 08:34.

10-01-2008 10:49 juan ahmal is offline Send an Email to juan ahmal Search for Posts by juan ahmal Add juan ahmal to your Buddy List
MarkyMark77 MarkyMark77 is a male
Drowning with Land in Sight

images/avatars/avatar-456.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005
Favorite 77s album: 99

Mike's solo show at the Canal Street Tavern (2001?) prompted me to give "Gift Horse" (which I didn't care for upon release) a second listen. He did "Blessing In Disguise" and "The Wall of Heaven", and I was hooked on this disc. This show also encouraged me to look deeper into Richard Thompson, with two covers ("Withered and Died" and "Down Where the Drunkards Roll") featuring in this show. Also, Mike's version of Elvis Presley's "It's Still Here" was great, and prompted me to revisit it.

And that was just one show. It was quite an important show for me, as a music fan.

I've certainily had more of an ear for older gospel tunes because of his cover of "Men Are So Busy" and the Dogs' "Farther Along".

I've checked out The Durutti Column because of Mike.

A lot of the stuff I've heard from Mike regarding influences, references and covers I already knew, but it was nice to see the same eclecticism run through his tastes. It was, and is encouraging.

Oh yeah, and the "Over, Under, Sideways, Down" cover reminded me that there was way more to the Yardbirds than "For Your Love". If anything, a lot of Mike's stuff has pushed me to give other music a second chance, stuff that I'd heard before but did really get grabbed by it.

Also, "Pray Naked" turned me on to all of the Dogs' bands and Dogs' related artists like Mike Knott and Steve Scott.

10-01-2008 12:24 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
Carl Salad
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 08-27-2008

Thread Starter Thread Started by Carl Salad

quote:
quote:
quote:

Tongue

Shocked

I guess I don't understand the "negative fruit" comment.

And basically a "carl salad" is little more than a pseudonym.
10-04-2008 23:30 Carl Salad is offline Send an Email to Carl Salad Search for Posts by Carl Salad Add Carl Salad to your Buddy List
killmikelove killmikelove is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-259.jpg

Registration Date: 08-01-2006
Favorite 77s album: tom tom blues

quote:
Originally posted by Carl Salad
quote:
quote:
quote:

Tongue

Shocked

I guess I don't understand the "negative fruit" comment.

And basically a "carl salad" is little more than a pseudonym.

And when I first saw this topic I wondered which Jack Scott was being referenced. Anyone old enough here to know who the other one would have been? My challenge to you..
This is a great topic, btw. Nice to see so many people pick up music based on being exposed to the 7's.
I can't really think of anything to add because my tastes and Mike's seem pretty parrell, but all of you MUST check out the Comsat Angels "Sleep No More" or "Fiction" and after that, you'll hear the influences on Steve Scott, the 7's (circa All Fall especially) as well as other moments.
10-05-2008 15:11 killmikelove is offline Send an Email to killmikelove Search for Posts by killmikelove Add killmikelove to your Buddy List
Carl Salad
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 08-27-2008

Thread Starter Thread Started by Carl Salad

quote:
Originally posted by killmikelove

And when I first saw this topic I wondered which Jack Scott was being referenced. Anyone old enough here to know who the other one would have been? My challenge to you...

This is the one I had in mind:
http://www.jackscottmusic.com/
10-05-2008 19:29 Carl Salad is offline Send an Email to Carl Salad Search for Posts by Carl Salad Add Carl Salad to your Buddy List
killmikelove killmikelove is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-259.jpg

Registration Date: 08-01-2006
Favorite 77s album: tom tom blues

quote:
Originally posted by Carl Salad
quote:
Originally posted by killmikelove

And when I first saw this topic I wondered which Jack Scott was being referenced. Anyone old enough here to know who the other one would have been? My challenge to you...

This is the one I had in mind:
http://www.jackscottmusic.com/

o know the one you had in mind. that wasn't the question!
10-06-2008 05:21 killmikelove is offline Send an Email to killmikelove Search for Posts by killmikelove Add killmikelove to your Buddy List
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » Jack Scott and other things I learned

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH