77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » Jack Scott and other things I learned » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Jack Scott and other things I learned
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Carl Salad
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 08-27-2008

Jack Scott and other things I learned Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I've been listening to Jack Scott all day. He sings "Save My Soul," which Mike quotes in "Mercy Mercy" on 88 ("went down to the river, to save my soul, saw John the Baptist standing there . . ").

So here's my question. What songs/ideas/artists/etc. have you been introduced to by Mike and company?
09-06-2008 17:51 Carl Salad is offline Send an Email to Carl Salad Search for Posts by Carl Salad Add Carl Salad to your Buddy List
MefLiszto MefLiszto is a male
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 06-14-2004

RE: Jack Scott and other things I learned Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I sought out "Luke The Drifter" based on references on the "It's For You".
09-06-2008 18:39 MefLiszto is offline Send an Email to MefLiszto Search for Posts by MefLiszto Add MefLiszto to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of MefLiszto: MefLiszto YIM Account Name of MefLiszto: Feykdrulez
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Registration Date: 06-01-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning with Land in Sight

RE: Jack Scott and other things I learned Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Off the top of my head: Steve Scott, Gene Eugene, Blind Willie Johnson, and Miffy Bunny.

09-06-2008 22:17 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

Oh I like this thread a lot! What an honor and a compliment for anyone to mention something I turned them onto. Everyone have at it!

Doctor Love has attached this image (reduced version):
MagicCarpetRide.jpg

09-07-2008 01:48 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
dennis
Happy Roy

images/avatars/avatar-487.jpg

Registration Date: 10-03-2004
Favorite 77s album: "88"

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I always think of the 88 album when I hear the Jerry Lee Lewis tune,
"Whole Lotta Shakin!" Pleased
09-07-2008 10:36 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Carl Salad
Baby Elvis

Thread Starter Thread Started by Carl Salad
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

It's also the 77's fault that the first Led Zeppelin album I bought was "Presence."
09-07-2008 12:31 Carl Salad is offline Send an Email to Carl Salad Search for Posts by Carl Salad Add Carl Salad to your Buddy List
Alex Alex is a male
Mr. Magoo

images/avatars/avatar-115.jpg

Registration Date: 05-01-2005
Favorite 77s album: Eighty Eight

The 77s were along with REZ, Jerusalem, Daniel Amos, Servant and 100%Proof the first christian rock bands I was introduced to. The CCM scene in Germany is quite small, at the time I didn't know that such a thing as christian rock existed. It was in 1985, and I was 16 years old. Needless to say, I was hooked on that stuff and progressed from that point on.

During my decade of desparation and depression the 77s were one of the few christian bands I could listen and connect to because they seemed credible enough, especially on the 88 live CD.

For obvious reasons the 77s inspired me to listen to the Lost Dogs which turned me to Adam Again and the Choir. I bought my first Brian Healy CD because the booklet said Mike played guitar on it. I bought the Strawmen and Unveiled CDs for similar reasons. The 77s turned my interest towards Steve Scott, Vector and Charlie Peacock - who wrote the "Crossroads" book which was deeply inspiring to me. After spending a few weeks listening to 77s boots I aquired a taste for Phil Keaggy's Jam CDs. Just a few weeks ago, after listening to Holy Ghost Building I dug out a Russ Taff tape called "Under their influence" which I found fitting to my taste, too.

Alex

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Alex: 09-07-2008 13:42.

09-07-2008 13:41 Alex is offline Send an Email to Alex Homepage of Alex Search for Posts by Alex Add Alex to your Buddy List
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-546.jpg

Registration Date: 09-30-2004
Favorite 77s album: Tom Tom Blues

uhm.....Sean Doty.....Tootle............First Strike......................aaannnndddd......Green Bracelet.

Oh yeah, also The Strawmen, Jackie Greene, Steve Scott, & the Jimmy Pailer Band

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by peawinkel: 09-07-2008 16:08.

09-07-2008 16:05 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
Carl Salad
Baby Elvis

quote:
after listening to Holy Ghost Building I dug out a Russ Taff tape called "Under their influence" which I found fitting to my taste, too.

I LOVE that album. And i thought about it too when Holy Ghost Building came out. Those two albums belong together.
09-07-2008 16:34 Carl Salad is offline Send an Email to Carl Salad Search for Posts by Carl Salad Add Carl Salad to your Buddy List
me-is-e
Drowning with Land in Sight

images/avatars/avatar-215.jpg

Registration Date: 03-14-2006
Favorite 77s album: the one I'm listening to

I remember a list of 'Mike Roe's 10 favorite albums', desert island discs or something to that effect being listed in the past. I started a jazz listening period around that time, so I tried the jazz albums Mike mentioned and really enjoyed 'Undercurrent' by Bill Evans & Jim Hall. Also, the Durutti Column from a comment about Mezzo and Bill Frissell because Floratone sounds a lot like 'Orbis' in vibe to me. One unusual move was buying an album by Brother Jack McDuff called 'The Blues Is Now' as it has a song entitled "Outskirts of Town" and I was curious. Maybe this is just me wanting it to be so, but this 'Outskirts' and the one by our beloved 77's do seem to have a weird connection. I can't explain it, but it is like they are distant cousins removed from each other. I'll let Mike sort out if there is any influence before I drive myself crazy again over this one. Pleased

http://www.amazon.com/Blues-Now-Jimmy-Witherspoon/dp/B0009VKKO6/ref=sr_1_14
?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1220846648&sr=1-14

09-07-2008 21:06 me-is-e is offline Send an Email to me-is-e Homepage of me-is-e Search for Posts by me-is-e Add me-is-e to your Buddy List
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Registration Date: 06-01-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning with Land in Sight

I got as far as trying to find out what Vince Ebo was about, and missed a chance to get a copy of one of his albums. I think I was short on money the day I went, and never had a chance to go back and get it because Tunes 4 Christ closed shortly after that. I would have liked to hear him do "Down in the Lowlands" rather than just hearing the song sung by Charlie Peacock on Full Circle.

09-07-2008 22:32 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
Doctor Love

Apologies to Brother Ray Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

A good part of the lyric idea for Outskirts was 'borrowed' from or 'inspired' by ..... ok 'lifted' off "I'm Gonna Move To The Outskirts of Town" from Ray Charles' "Genius + Soul = Jazz" album.

Talent borrows, genius steals.

quote:
Originally posted by me-is-e
One unusual move was buying an album by Brother Jack McDuff called 'The Blues Is Now' as it has a song entitled "Outskirts of Town" and I was curious. Maybe this is just me wanting it to be so, but this 'Outskirts' and the one by our beloved 77's do seem to have a weird connection. I can't explain it, but it is like they are distant cousins removed from each other. I'll let Mike sort out if there is any influence before I drive myself crazy again over this one. Pleased

Doctor Love has attached this image:
GeniusPlusSoulEqualsJazz_RayCharles.jpg

09-08-2008 13:23 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
Carl Salad
Baby Elvis

And let's not forget George Washington Phillips and his two-part "Denomination Blues" (1929).
09-08-2008 14:38 Carl Salad is offline Send an Email to Carl Salad Search for Posts by Carl Salad Add Carl Salad to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-92.jpeg

Registration Date: 05-27-2004

quote:
I remember a list of 'Mike Roe's 10 favorite albums', desert island discs or something to that effect being listed in the past...

Heres the full list for anyone that wants to see it.. its from the mid/late 90s and I'm sure it'd be different if he were to make a new one.

----------------------------------------

Michael Roe (Solo, the Seventy Sevens, the Lost Dogs):

Bill Evans/Jim Hall - Undercurrent ("this is my favorite record - PERIOD. excellent at bedtime...")
Jerry Lee Lewis - Live At The Starclub ("live rock-n-roll doesn't get better than this")
Elvis Presley - The King of Rock and Roll - The Original 50's Masters ("studio rock-n-roll doesn't get better than this")
Grateful Dead - American Beauty ("it's impossible to listen to this and stay in a bad mood")
Dave Brubeck Quartet - Jazz at Oberlin ("this is simply amazing ... and nearly 50 years old!")
Dave Brubeck Trio - 24 Classic Original Recordings ("ditto!")
Andres Segovia - My Favorite Works ("the master at work!")
Frank Sinatra - Only the Lonely ("scary - this man owns these songs in every way except the copyrights")
Fleetwood Mac - Tusk ("i still hope to make one that feels like this one...")
The Beach Boys - Holland ("how can i pick this over Pet Sounds? i dunno - i just love this album!")

-------------------------------------------------

That list was from an old collection of similar lists that we compiled back then from a bunch of different artists... Mark Harmon, David Leonhardt, Jimmy Abegg, Brian Healy, Mike Stand, Gene Eugene, Jon Knox of Adam Again, Mitch McVicker, Jason Harrod, Becki Hemingway, John Fishcer, Rob Watson, Mark Robertson, Phil Madeira, Ashley Cleveland, Kenny Greenberg, Bill Campbell of the Throes, David Raven, Randy Stonehill, Kenny Paxton (from one of Terry's old bands).. they can all be found here

http://www.danielamos.com/wbb2/thread.ph...id=10356&page=1
09-08-2008 15:59 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
dennis
Happy Roy

images/avatars/avatar-487.jpg

Registration Date: 10-03-2004
Favorite 77s album: "88"

RE: Apologies to Brother Ray Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I always kinda wondered about that!
Both of them are great songs!

Pleased

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Love
A good part of the lyric idea for Outskirts was 'borrowed' from or 'inspired' by ..... ok 'lifted' off "I'm Gonna Move To The Outskirts of Town" from Ray Charles' "Genius + Soul = Jazz" album.

quote:
One unusual move was buying an album by Brother Jack McDuff called 'The Blues Is Now' as it has a song entitled "Outskirts of Town" and I was curious. Maybe this is just me wanting it to be so, but this 'Outskirts' and the one by our beloved 77's do seem to have a weird connection. I can't explain it, but it is like they are distant cousins removed from each other. I'll let Mike sort out if there is any influence before I drive myself crazy again over this one. Pleased

09-09-2008 15:11 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Carl Salad
Baby Elvis

I'm downloading Hot Tuna's album "First Pull Up Then Pull Down." I heard Mike say on some bootleg that they modeled their "Keep Your Lamplight" on Hot Tuna's version.
09-09-2008 16:45 Carl Salad is offline Send an Email to Carl Salad Search for Posts by Carl Salad Add Carl Salad to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-188.jpg

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Location: "i find your lack of faith disturbing.."- darth vader

Question Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

what exactly is a carl salad?
is it made with negative fruit? Shocked

Tongue

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

facebook
09-09-2008 17:58 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005
ciniree
Baby Elvis

images/avatars/avatar-518.jpg

Registration Date: 08-03-2008
Favorite 77s album: HGB

By listening to The 77's and Mike Roe, I have been reminded of types of music that I've liked my whole life, but by listening to them have not followed the path of most people, and so have felt odd about. Like enjoying listening to folk music on the radio in the late '70's and early '80's so much more than the heavy metal that was so popular. And even though I took Jazz Appreciation in college, instead of pop like most people, I've been reminded of how much I like certain kinds of jazz, like my favorite song "Nobody's Gonna Bring Me Down" by Charlie Peacock which is complete jazz or even some of the types of jazz that have been talked about on the board that I remember from my childhood. Or by having a bongo playing beatnik dad, I feel like I've come full circle and am back to my roots. And I've learned how very much I like blues music and my incredible likeness for acoustic guitar. It just kind of makes you feel like you know yourself better, and it's good to find music that you like because of who you are, and not because it's what most people like.
09-10-2008 06:53 ciniree is offline Send an Email to ciniree Search for Posts by ciniree Add ciniree to your Buddy List
Doctor Love

'keep your lamplight' Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Do me a favor Carl, and send me an Mp3 of that if it's on there. I have not heard that since high school.

Send to mike@77s.com

quote:
Originally posted by Carl Salad
I'm downloading Hot Tuna's album "First Pull Up Then Pull Down." I heard Mike say on some bootleg that they modeled their "Keep Your Lamplight" on Hot Tuna's version.

Doctor Love has attached this image (reduced version):
morninglove.jpg

09-10-2008 09:57 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
me-is-e
Drowning with Land in Sight

images/avatars/avatar-215.jpg

Registration Date: 03-14-2006
Favorite 77s album: the one I'm listening to

RE: Apologies to Brother Ray Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

[quote]Originally posted by Doctor Love

Ha! I always loved that line.

I'm trying to find a recording of the Ray Charles version to have a little compare and contrasting fun. Sounds like it might be in line with the recording I mentioned though-a quick search of Amazon listed 233 recordings of that title! Shocked

09-10-2008 10:18 me-is-e is offline Send an Email to me-is-e Homepage of me-is-e Search for Posts by me-is-e Add me-is-e to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » Jack Scott and other things I learned

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH