77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » CD & DVD Reviews » The 77s - Holy Ghost Building » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (9): « first ... « previous 3 4 [5] 6 7 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page The 77s - Holy Ghost Building 4 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.004 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-546.jpg

Registration Date: 09-30-2004
Favorite 77s album: Tom Tom Blues

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Nailtatt
quote:
Originally posted by Chesterdox
"The only possible misstep here is the inclusion of “A Lifetime Without You,”.... The song is out of step with the rest of the album and is in the unfortunate spot of following what should have been the project’s final song: the amazing “I’m Gonna’ Run to the City of Refuge,” which is a track that would make Jagger himself shake his head in awe." ~ Tollbooth

Call me crazy but I agree... unless they ended the album with a stripped-down rockabilly version of Jack Spoiler. Cool

And I'll gladly wait another "3 days" for something this good again.

I agree also. While I love the song it does seem "out of place" on this record to me.

I agree...it sounds more fitting as part of a Roe solo (Roelo), and the "effin' dunce" lyric sabotages the chances of this release in its present form to get into the Christian bookstores. Frown

07-29-2008 18:17 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
dennis
Happy Roy

images/avatars/avatar-487.jpg

Registration Date: 10-03-2004
Favorite 77s album: "88"

This is the end, My only friend. Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

It's a tradition among albums that the last song should stand apart
and be somewhat different front the rest of it.

It's is after all the closer, the benediction.

"It's all over Now, Baby Blue" on Bringing it all Back Home.
"Tomorrow Never Knows" on Revolver.
"Sad Eyed Lady of the Low Lands" on Blonde onBlonde.
"The Shape of Air" on Darn Floor - Big Bite.

Just to name a few...

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 07-30-2008 03:28.

07-30-2008 03:24 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Cynthia
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-483.jpg

Registration Date: 07-20-2005

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Gur
Musically, I would agree, but I think conceptually the song is very important for this album ,if I have understood Mike's lyrics over the years. The rest of the lyrics are all about the basics of our faith: our abject fallenness and need for God's unmerited grace, the importance of prayer, etc. Mike seems to connect with his fallenness most intimately (as most of us do or would do if we had eyes to see) in the area of challenging or failed relationships. I see thie final song as Mike saying, " I am right there with those old bluesmen and gospel singers of old who desperately need God, and this is where I most desperately need him." This is a greeeeeeeeeeeeeeat album, and I don't think the final song is out of place.

I agree that the song is depressing, but what a wonderful way to view it in relation to the spiritual realm Gur. I love what you said here. The honesty of the song though is the exact reason that so many of us are fans of this group. To share whatever is on their heart wether it be encouraging or horribly depressing, but still something we all struggle with at times, is the reason that so many have said they are fans. I know it's a big reason I am, so it doesn't seem okay to complain about it. When we put out our own album, then we can say how and what songs should go on it. It couldn't be very easy to create an album.

Not getting down on anyone or saying I'm right, it's just my opinion... but something to consider.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Cynthia: 07-30-2008 06:02.

07-30-2008 06:01 Cynthia is offline Search for Posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your Buddy List
Nailtatt Nailtatt is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-212.jpg

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Favorite 77s album: Sticks and Stones

For the record (no pun intended) I am not complaining about the song by any means. I love it and am glad it's there! It just seemed a bit out of place musically but is an incredible song to be sure! I love the lyrics and as some of you have said; the fact the Mike and company are willing to share the lows of their walk with the rest of us is why we connect to them as fans! They are real, honest, open and put it all out there and I love that.

07-30-2008 07:12 Nailtatt is offline Send an Email to Nailtatt Search for Posts by Nailtatt Add Nailtatt to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Nailtatt
Cynthia
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-483.jpg

Registration Date: 07-20-2005

quote:
Originally posted by Nailtatt
For the record (no pun intended) I am not complaining about the song by any means. I love it and am glad it's there! It just seemed a bit out of place musically but is an incredible song to be sure! I love the lyrics and as some of you have said; the fact the Mike and company are willing to share the lows of their walk with the rest of us is why we connect to them as fans! They are real, honest, open and put it all out there and I love that.

Oh no... I saw it ... you were complaining... oh, and I am soooo disgusted with you right now.... Aaargh!!!!

Wink Tongue (nice point)

07-30-2008 07:41 Cynthia is offline Search for Posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your Buddy List
Nailtatt Nailtatt is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-212.jpg

Registration Date: 05-28-2004

Big Grin Wink Tongue

07-30-2008 10:13 Nailtatt is offline Send an Email to Nailtatt Search for Posts by Nailtatt Add Nailtatt to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Nailtatt
Chesterdox Chesterdox is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-198.jpg

Registration Date: 06-05-2006
Favorite 77s album: Holy Ghost Building

quote:
Originally posted by Cynthia

I agree that the song is depressing, but what a wonderful way to view it in relation to the spiritual realm Gur. I love what you said here. The honesty of the song though is the exact reason that so many of us are fans of this group. To share whatever is on their heart wether it be encouraging or horribly depressing, but still something we all struggle with at times, is the reason that so many have said they are fans. I know it's a big reason I am, so it doesn't seem okay to complain about it. When we put out our own album, then we can say how and what songs should go on it. It couldn't be very easy to create an album.

Not getting down on anyone or saying I'm right, it's just my opinion... but something to consider.

I'm not complaining, I just think the song sucks.

I'm kidding,I'm kidding! Everybody's a critic. Tongue

Here's another: Behind That Locked Door wasn't a good fit on Wide Eyed Wonder, either, and I really enjoyed that song, too.

07-30-2008 11:49 Chesterdox is offline Send an Email to Chesterdox Homepage of Chesterdox Search for Posts by Chesterdox Add Chesterdox to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Chesterdox: none YIM Account Name of Chesterdox: none View the MSN Profile for Chesterdox
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-546.jpg

Registration Date: 09-30-2004
Favorite 77s album: Tom Tom Blues

I hated Behind That Locked Door. Probably the worst Choir song ever. Oops...I think I just burped a vomit.

07-30-2008 20:26 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
dennis
Happy Roy

Attention RE: worst "Choir" song ever? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

George Harrison just vomited in your mouth! Evil

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dennis: 07-31-2008 02:27.

07-31-2008 02:26 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Someone New

...and then gave you a wedgie!

07-31-2008 07:25 Chesterdox is offline Send an Email to Chesterdox Homepage of Chesterdox Search for Posts by Chesterdox Add Chesterdox to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Chesterdox: none YIM Account Name of Chesterdox: none View the MSN Profile for Chesterdox
Nekkid Prey Nekkid Prey is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-213.jpg

Registration Date: 06-06-2004

Tuesday Morning 3am Review Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Here's Chicago Tribune's Andre Salles' review of HGB! It's near the top of the list. Enjoy!

07-31-2008 20:25 Nekkid Prey is offline Send an Email to Nekkid Prey Homepage of Nekkid Prey Search for Posts by Nekkid Prey Add Nekkid Prey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Nekkid Prey: Nekkid Prey YIM Account Name of Nekkid Prey: mike_beidler
jeffrey k. jeffrey k. is a male
Mr. Magoo

images/avatars/avatar-353.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2004

RE: Tuesday Morning 3am Review Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Nekkid Prey
Here's Chicago Tribune's Andre Salles' review of HGB! It's near the top of the list. Enjoy!

A little clarification:

This is Andre's review that he posted on his blog:

http://www.tm3am.com/article_080702b.htm

Andre doesn't write for the Tribune....he writes for the Beacon news which covers Suburban Chicago stories and is part of the Chicago Sun Times family. He also wrote the press bio for "Holy Ghost Building..."

A review in the Sun Times by another writer is supposed to happen...

jeffrey k.

07-31-2008 21:18 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
Someone New

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Spot on review. Smile

08-01-2008 05:40 Chesterdox is offline Send an Email to Chesterdox Homepage of Chesterdox Search for Posts by Chesterdox Add Chesterdox to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Chesterdox: none YIM Account Name of Chesterdox: none View the MSN Profile for Chesterdox
Someone New

I'm @ work on a Saturday and cranking Dedication to Pete Johnson by Memphis Slim (the link says it's a "sample," but it's the full deal. I have the album).

The 77's should definitely do a cover of this tune for their upcoming album: Raising the Roof: Holy Ghost Building II. Big Grin

I'm totally serious... Mike. Cool

08-02-2008 07:41 Chesterdox is offline Send an Email to Chesterdox Homepage of Chesterdox Search for Posts by Chesterdox Add Chesterdox to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Chesterdox: none YIM Account Name of Chesterdox: none View the MSN Profile for Chesterdox
Alex Alex is a male
Mr. Magoo

images/avatars/avatar-115.jpg

Registration Date: 05-01-2005
Favorite 77s album: Eighty Eight

I can't connect to "Blue Moon". Sorry. Not my cup of tea. Weakest track for me.

Lyrically and thematically the closing track fits, but I think Mike would have been capable to forge the lyrics to a musically more fitting gospel blues tune. As it is it sounds quite disconnected to the rest of the tracks.

"Building" starts off strange... to my ears. Like driving with the brakes on. I think it would benefit from a little more punch.

The other songs are awesome. My favs are the Stones-esque tracks "I'll remember you" and "City of refuge". The Byrds- jangle on "What would you give" is another highlight.

88 remains my fav 77s recording.

Alex

08-04-2008 15:22 Alex is offline Send an Email to Alex Homepage of Alex Search for Posts by Alex Add Alex to your Buddy List
Alex Alex is a male
Mr. Magoo

images/avatars/avatar-115.jpg

Registration Date: 05-01-2005
Favorite 77s album: Eighty Eight

double post

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Alex: 08-04-2008 15:23.

08-04-2008 15:23 Alex is offline Send an Email to Alex Homepage of Alex Search for Posts by Alex Add Alex to your Buddy List
dennis
Happy Roy

quote:
Originally posted by Alex
88 remains my fav 77s recording.

Yup. Cool
08-04-2008 15:41 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
MarkyMark77 MarkyMark77 is a male
Drowning with Land in Sight

images/avatars/avatar-456.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005
Favorite 77s album: 99

quote:
The 77's should definitely do a cover of this tune for their upcoming album: Raising the Roof: Holy Ghost Building II.

Since someone else suggested a song for a possible sequel, I will jump on the bandwagon, too, with the understanding that Mike needs no advice from me. It's just a fun game.

So, my suggestion would be:

"Tell Me What Kind of Man Jesus Is" by Big Bill Broonzy

And, sure he's been done to death, but maybe a Robert Johnson cover, maybe "I Believe I'll Dust My Broom"?

08-05-2008 07:30 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

Lifetime In Wartime Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

We put it on there because:

a) it was part of the original sessions, which was curious

b) we don't put out singles so there's your single (I miss the 80's in England -- a single once a month whether you wanted it or not. The Smiths created an entire world with them. I miss that.)

c) we tried to be generous to our fans

d) I hate using the term "bonus track" because it looks clunky, so we left that off, but really ... that's what it was

e) woulda put it as a 'hidden track' but everyone complains when you do that

f) everyone complained anyway

g) no good deed goes unpunished

h) I regret putting it out now. Mark says screw everyone who cares and Bruce has no comment

Doctor Love has attached this image (reduced version):
WavyMorn.jpg

08-05-2008 11:28 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
ciniree
Baby Elvis

images/avatars/avatar-518.jpg

Registration Date: 08-03-2008
Favorite 77s album: HGB

It's your album and not ours, so don't worry about what anyone else thinks. You do what you gotta do and don't worry about it because no one can please everyone all of the time. There will always be criticism no matter what. A person could be a genius (like many great artists that died dirt poor, but now their paintings sell for millions) and there would still be criticism. Everyone agrees, though, that it's a GREAT album.
08-05-2008 11:40 ciniree is offline Send an Email to ciniree Search for Posts by ciniree Add ciniree to your Buddy List
Pages (9): « first ... « previous 3 4 [5] 6 7 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » CD & DVD Reviews » The 77s - Holy Ghost Building

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH