77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » Concert Reviews & Photos » Cornerstone 2008 » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Cornerstone 2008
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Registration Date: 06-01-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning with Land in Sight

Cornerstone 2008 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Okay--let's have the stories and pictures.

07-05-2008 06:21 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

RE: Cornerstone 2008 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I might as well pipe in first.

Our gallery set was not exactly graceful (I had to play through a Marshall amp, which I love for anyone else but myself) but darned aggressive and fairly passionate. I felt somewhat faint during the first couple of numbers but once it started to settle in, things picked up. (much thanks to Jeff Elbel for helping me out up there by pointing a fan at me when I was wilting. It's really hard to do these things all by yourself...) Charlie Peacock heaped many kudos as I walked offstage and there's nothing quite like your peers being genuinely pleased with you.

My solo set the next day started off amazingly, given the fact that I had virtually no time to prepare for it and no set list. I somehow convinced myself that I had played thru the whole thing at about 23 minutes in and walked off feeling 'ahead of the game', only to discover that I was only halfway through. Unfortunately, some idiot walked onstage and begged an 'encore' so I sheepishly got back up there and dragged Jimmy A. with me. Big mistake. He's absolutely brilliant, but I handed him a guitar that was awesomely out of tune and he was all at sea. We floundered miserably through a few tunes until I finally pulled "Ache Beautiful" out and ditched. I hate solo shows at Cornerstone unless they are the main event. It's always a disaster, although last year's went much better because I actually prepared for it.

The 77's "worship set" on Mainstage was wonderful (we pulled Nobody's Fault But Mine out of the barrel!), and the Lost Dogs' one wasn't bad either. I just hate sitting around for hours all day only to be able to play for fifteen minutes. I woke up this morning positively drained from all that.

Looking forward to the Dogs' set late tonight and also guesting with Charlie Peacok at the end of his set. That should all be fun.

One thing I will say about all these shows so far is that attendance for them has been way up from previous years -- a very encouraging thing. I think some of this has to do with who we have been placed before so we are getting overflow from other bands' fans which always helps win new ones for us. We need that desperately.

It's been good to see many of your faces and I hope to visit Camp 77 sometime today. Elwood actually made it so I dedicated a song to him, and Trish Zacher has been around and several others. The weather has been about the best I can remember so that has REALLY helped. Cornerstone is hell when it's hot and humid.

Doctor Love has attached this image (reduced version):
moses.jpg

07-05-2008 08:43 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Thread Starter Thread Started by Marti
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Smile I'm sure everyone else was more pleased with it than you were. I'm sorry that I couldn't be there to hear it.

Thanks for furnishing the initial volley.

07-05-2008 08:48 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
Audiori J
unregistered
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yes, from our vantage point, the shows were great! It is interesting that the shows attendance was up, because it seems the overall fest attendance is down. So that might be even more encouraging.

We also met Peawinkle, Peawinkess, and a couple Peawinkettes.

It was weird seing 77's then Degarmo and Key, followed by Over The Rhine. My wife, brother and I discussed it afterward and felt it was like having a steak dinner, followed by a course of Cheese-Whiz and pork rinds, and creme brulee for desert. Tongue

Seriously, Eddie Degarmo is ok since he is an Eddie after all. Cool
07-05-2008 10:09
Cynthia
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-483.jpg

Registration Date: 07-20-2005

Have fun with the concerts tonight. Play Nobodies gonna bring me down for any poor souls that don't get to go. What a great song. Big Grin

07-05-2008 15:52 Cynthia is offline Search for Posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your Buddy List
TJ 2.0
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-413.gif

Registration Date: 09-13-2004
Favorite 77s album: Island/Sticks and Stones/88

Wish I could've been there this year. Sounds like the shows were great, in addition to the slew of bands loved by probably no one else other than myself and Nails.

There's always next year.......
07-06-2008 15:50 TJ 2.0 is offline Send an Email to TJ 2.0 Homepage of TJ 2.0 Search for Posts by TJ 2.0 Add TJ 2.0 to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-92.jpeg

Registration Date: 05-27-2004

Was a blast seeing all of the shows and so many fellow fans again.. met a lot of folks from the board, which was fun. Sold tons of Holy Ghost Buildings, Midgets and Lost Cabins... seems to be a popular trio of releases for the Cstone crowds.

Some pics...

77s in the Gallery Stage

77s on the Main Stage
07-06-2008 16:44 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
audiori audiori is a male
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-92.jpeg

Registration Date: 05-27-2004

Mike with Charlie Peacock

Mike's solo encore with Jimmy A
07-06-2008 16:52 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
MarkyMark77 MarkyMark77 is a male
Drowning with Land in Sight

images/avatars/avatar-456.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005
Favorite 77s album: 99

It was great. It was my first full week of the festival (I went for a day last year), and I enjoyed every bit of it. Saw Mike several times, including the Charlie Peacock set, which I was prepared to be bored by. I was not, and I was really impressed with his lyrical content. The most interesting part of the set was, of course, when Mike played a tune with Charlie. Kevin Max was part of Charlie's band, so it was most likely the first time that Mike and Kevin have shared a stage, perhaps? I'm not a Kevin Max fan, but he seemed really happy to be there, and totally joyous to be backing up Charlie.

Both 7's sets were great, and "Nobody's Fault But Mine" on the main stage was easily my favorite moment of the whole week. The Dogs gallery stage set was the best I've seen by them, with great energy from start to finish.

I met quite a few people from the listserv, and none from the board, but then again, I didn't quite know who I was looking for. Everyone I did meet and talked to were great.

I'll say what I think a lot of fans might be thinking, which is that, after not being backed by a label, or Christian radio for the last 12 years, it's about time the 7's got some exposure, credit and repsect by playing on the main stage. Yeah, it was a short set. Yeah, maybe it was annoying and a weird situation. But the repsonse to both the 7's and the Dogs was great on the main stage. I made a point to look around at the crowd to see the reaction of the crowd, and it was positive. The crowd was attentive. It's good to hear that Jason and Eric sold a bunch of HGB. It looked like you guys were working hard, and your work is appreciated.

Other great shows were Over the Rhine, Psalters (my wife and I really dig these guys), Josh Garrels and (my two biggest surprises), Jonezetta & Flatfood 56. I didn't call that at all. But Jonezetta were great on Tooth & Nail day, and Flatfoot's short set was great punk with bagpipes, and they reminded me of Social Distortion or Dropkick Murphys, although those bands aren't really alike. Degarmo & Key was...interesting. They played well, to be sure, but it just made me think of the contrast that still exists between mainstream Christian music and the seedy underbelly of music made by Christians that is not comprised of simple jingoistic sloganeering. To this day, most of those bands don't have a shot at getting anywhere from a Christian standpoint. Still, D & K were genuine, and people liked them. It could have been worse, like putting Petra in that slot! As for me, I was there holding my close-to-the-stage place, or I probably would have been at a different stage.

I also enjoyed David Crowder Band as the simple fun that they are. I heard Mike Farris' gallery show was great, too, so I'll be checking more of his music out. All in all it was a great week.

quote:
although last year's went much better because I actually prepared for it.

Really loved both sets, Mike, but the best out of both of them for me was your slide rendition of "Nobody's Fault But Mine" from last year. And don't be too hard on yourself. My five year old son paid attention to and liked your solo set, and he doesn't pay attention to anything that doesn't have a drummer!

07-06-2008 22:07 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
God-rules God-rules is a male
Happy Roy

Registration Date: 06-03-2004

Man, I just don't know where to begin.....It was an amazing fest.

The main 77s set rocked and my wife, that had lost interest after the last couple of discs, really got into the show.

Mike's solo was sort of a freak out when he just left the stage. None of were sure what was up....I thought maybe he wasn't feeling well or that it was a joke or something......I mean 23 minutes of Mike Roe?!? My wife thought maybe he was mad by the audience lack or participation....people further back are eating talking etc (but that is how it is in that tent). The crowd didn't know what to do, clap, leave, what. We mostly sat in stunned silence. When they asked him to come back out, THEN the cowd went crazy.

Mainstage NFBM totally smoked......I wish Mike would have mentioned before the song that it was a Blind Willie song rather than a Zep tune, I think it would have meant more to the crown and seemed like more of a tribute than a Zep cover.

Michaelmorelater

I'm gonna put my carbon footprint right up a greenies lactose intolerant hind end! - squidzit 2008
07-07-2008 05:49 God-rules is offline Send an Email to God-rules Search for Posts by God-rules Add God-rules to your Buddy List
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

I can't wait to see what the mainstage-exposed socks and draw'z sell for on ebay. Happy

Marti77soutsellMadonna'sstuffanyday!

07-07-2008 06:34 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
MefLiszto MefLiszto is a male
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 06-14-2004

I didn't see as many shows this year, but felt like I got more out of it. I worked the press tent for the first time and really felt like I was part of it all. I got to interview Glenn and Wendi Kaiser and Tom Cameron of Rez Band for Phantom Tollbooth (look for the podcast in the next few weeks). John Cooper of Skillet was genuine and funny as well (look for the podcast in the next few weeks), but my camcorder battery died shortly into their set, one of the best live shows at the fest. Rez was not in great form on Thursday, but the songs carried their set. Great material will do that. The Sevens were up next. I thought they were great, and I really got that feel from the crowd as well. Frankly, I thought DeGarmo & Key were fantastic, and I loved hearing Dana speak to everyone afterwards. Friday morning, I went to the Tea House, an ashram-looking structure by the walking bridge setup by Chris Hale and Miranda Stone of Aradhna, and watched Chris give a sitar lesson. I got to talk to Chris a good bit about India. Later I caught Mike's short set. He exited the stage after only 20 minutes, and everyone was speechless, so he came back out and did a couple more songs. On mainstage Friday, The 77s were again great, as were The Dogs. They handed out Candles to the crowd way too early, and they melted down to a nub by the time communion was done. Charlie led a wonderful service, having everyone recite the creeds and relevant passages of scripture. Then at midnight, I got my skull crushed by the warm, soothing sounds of Living Sacrifice. They were super tight with a great light show, which I caught all on tape. Saturday I went to the Tea House again. They did a Hindi (Not Hindu) worship service complete with communion. Later that day, I intereviewed Chris in the press tent about the band for Phantom Tollbooth (look for the podcast in the next few weeks), and he demonstrated the sitar for everyone. I finished out the fest watching Charlie Peacock and The Lost Dogs at Gallery, then went back to my tent and listened to As I Lay Dying obliterate Mainstage while I tore down my camping gear. I certainly hope the fest can be staged there again next year. There is something special about those grounds.

Darin

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by MefLiszto: 07-07-2008 06:52.

07-07-2008 06:45 MefLiszto is offline Send an Email to MefLiszto Search for Posts by MefLiszto Add MefLiszto to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of MefLiszto: MefLiszto YIM Account Name of MefLiszto: Feykdrulez
Happy Roy

Darin, et al, the fest will ALWAYS be held there. C-Stone purchased the old campground where the fest is now held.

I went into D&K pretty lukewarm, but found (after not listening to then for at least 15 years) that I remembered most of the songs and had a great great time.

I really enjoyed REZ and was amazed that Stu was able to rip it up so well after all these years.

Oops forgot to mention that I also missed Markymark too.

Sorry I was just really dissappointed with Charlie Peacock. We had to leave on saturday morning so we were going to miss his show. My wife really really likes Charlie. To see that he was suposed to be on stage for a fair amount of time on Friday was a salvation for her. Then for him to do communion rather than a show was depressing to us to say the least. Plus all the chanting and creeds etc were way not needed IMHO. We have communion weekly at church and often at home as a family so I couldn't see the purpose.

We did sit in on Chris Hale's seminar (I have a special interest in India as my company has a large number of programmers from India as external employees-at one time I sat in a cube pod and my 3 other pod mates were all from India - I used to tell them I felt like General Custer - when i explained they had a huge laugh and started calling me Custer Tongue , plus we sponsor a Compassion child in India). Now of course I am off-site and don't get as much contact with the Indians, but 2 yeras ago I bought about a dozen copies of "Deep Jalle", a worship CD in an Indian tounge and gave them to several of my co-workers. A lot of the stuff Chris said about them agreeing with us and "oh yes we belive in one God just like you, etc etc is so true.

Michaelstillmoretocome

I'm gonna put my carbon footprint right up a greenies lactose intolerant hind end! - squidzit 2008
07-07-2008 07:13 God-rules is offline Send an Email to God-rules Search for Posts by God-rules Add God-rules to your Buddy List
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Given the horizontal aspect of communion, I would love to experience a communion service out there someday with the group of people that attends. It seems like a sense of unity is a commonly-reported experience. Some get little communion or unity in their normal routine.

What do they do with the grounds during the other 51 weeks of the year?

07-07-2008 07:20 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

it's a gaffer! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by God-rules
Mainstage NFBM totally smoked......I wish Mike would have mentioned before the song that it was a Blind Willie song rather than a Zep tune, I think it would have meant more to the crown and seemed like more of a tribute than a Zep cover.Michaelmorelater

No way, really? I called it a "Zep tune" and didn't mention Blind? Musta been crazy from the heat. That's just not Doctor. Roll Eyes

Doctor Love has attached this image (reduced version):
FriarTruck.jpg

07-07-2008 07:30 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
MefLiszto MefLiszto is a male
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 06-14-2004

quote:
Originally posted by God-rules
Darin, et al, the fest will ALWAYS be held there. C-Stone purchased the old campground where the fest is now held.
Michaelstillmoretocome

'Purchased' does not mean 'paid for'. I've always wondered how that has worked out financially because the property isn't really used commercially the rest of the year. There was some talk from stage a couple times about whether there would be a CStone09, and I've heard scuttlebutt that the property is too much of a burden on them. I hope it remains there.
07-07-2008 08:19 MefLiszto is offline Send an Email to MefLiszto Search for Posts by MefLiszto Add MefLiszto to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of MefLiszto: MefLiszto YIM Account Name of MefLiszto: Feykdrulez
Happy Roy

Sorry if I was misunderstood, the Doc didn't mention it was a Zep tune, I just assumed that 99.95 % of the audience would associate it with Zep.

Actually Doc did mention it was a Blind Wille tune at the Gallery show. The band just went into it without any intro on the mainstage. But since (I'm only assuming here of course) the crowd at mainstage wasn't primarily 77 fanbase and that they would likely see (hear) it as a Zep cover. i think it would have been good fro the crowd to know it wasn't actually a Zep song................I always had associated it with Zep myself.

Thanks Doc for the shows. I'm hoping sales went well, one good thing is that I would say the bulk of your audience are a little older and more stable and are likely to have $$$ to buy merch Happy

Michael77srockdude

07-07-2008 08:20 God-rules is offline Send an Email to God-rules Search for Posts by God-rules Add God-rules to your Buddy List
LuR KiNG
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-86.jpg

Registration Date: 09-17-2004

RE: Cornerstone 2008 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Love
. . . the Lost Dogs' one
. . . Looking forward to the Dogs' set late tonight . . .

SoMe PiCS
http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f114/s...erstone%202008/

Roll Eyes I tried some artistic 'Flair' by moving behind a GuY in a Cowboy hat for one shot, I think I will KeeP my day job. Big Grin

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by LuR KiNG: 07-08-2008 07:02.

07-07-2008 08:54 LuR KiNG is offline Send an Email to LuR KiNG Search for Posts by LuR KiNG Add LuR KiNG to your Buddy List
MarkyMark77 MarkyMark77 is a male
Drowning with Land in Sight

images/avatars/avatar-456.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005
Favorite 77s album: 99

I see from the set list that they skipped a few. Crying

No matter. I've heard those songs live before! Big Grin

07-07-2008 09:48 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
Happy Roy

quote:
Originally posted by audiori

Some pics...

I think that is my bald spot at the bottom left of the picture!

That would have been right about where I was standing.

Michaelnotoverlyembarrassed

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by God-rules: 07-07-2008 10:15.

07-07-2008 10:13 God-rules is offline Send an Email to God-rules Search for Posts by God-rules Add God-rules to your Buddy List
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » Concert Reviews & Photos » Cornerstone 2008

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH