77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » Doctor vs. Perry and the Poor Boys » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Doctor vs. Perry and the Poor Boys
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Registration Date: 06-01-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning with Land in Sight

Doctor vs. Perry and the Poor Boys Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

(I guess that I can do this up here, since there's a Roe vs. Pritzl thread.)

Dear Doctor,

There's a question floating around on listserv that's prompted somebody to ask me what I know about your involvement with Perry and the Poor Boys, and I basically don't know anything about them. Could you respond to this deep need for information among the faithful and regale us with stories of how the collaboration came about, what they're doing now, what color socks they wear, who ordered the pizza and who actually opened the door, or anything else that comes to mind?

Anyone else who knows more than I do is also welcome to chime in.

Thank you,

A Concerned Citizen

01-15-2008 06:03 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
lam77s

Registration Date: 05-29-2004

RE: Doctor vs. Perry and the Poor Boys Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Back in 2001 I promoted a show with Mike and Mark as a duo and Perry and the Poor Boys opened for them. It was an interesting evening, is what I can say for sure. I remembered that I ordered the pizza. Cool

I don't know what they're doing now.

I'll let Mike expound on the rest.

Linda
01-15-2008 07:02 lam77s is offline Send an Email to lam77s Search for Posts by lam77s Add lam77s to your Buddy List
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Thread Starter Thread Started by Marti
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yes, but what color socks were they wearing, Linda? Wink Big Grin

Thank you. Happy

01-15-2008 07:05 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
LuR KiNG
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-86.jpg

Registration Date: 09-17-2004

Thumb Up! Perry and the 'not bad' Boys Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

one of the former Perry and the Poor Boys Drummers (James Orvis)
is now with one of my favorite local bands Romantica

At a show this summer he saw my Daniel Amos - Shotgun Angel shirt
and told me he likes the Lost Dogs & had recorded with Mike Roe
on a Perry and the Poor Boys album Cool

I know I have "No Fear in Love" CD, & one or two others...

here is Just the facts:

http://www.perryandthepoorboys.com/disc.html

Mike will have to respond for the "deep information"

Marti,
as for the "what color socks were they wearing" question.
that is a trick question, the answer is NoNe, as they always wore sandals Tongue
DaLe

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by LuR KiNG: 01-15-2008 12:36.

01-15-2008 12:33 LuR KiNG is offline Send an Email to LuR KiNG Search for Posts by LuR KiNG Add LuR KiNG to your Buddy List
Gur Gur is a male
Mezzo

Registration Date: 01-14-2008
Location: And into this chasm God would let a million Jacob Bayers float down like sparkling dust on a dry wind.

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Tongue
That was very clever of you, Marti.
01-15-2008 12:47 Gur is offline Send an Email to Gur Search for Posts by Gur Add Gur to your Buddy List
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

That was nothing more than happy chance, yiddishbaks.

01-15-2008 13:28 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
Gur Gur is a male
Mezzo

Location: And into this chasm God would let a million Jacob Bayers float down like sparkling dust on a dry wind.

tsufal you mean
01-15-2008 13:32 Gur is offline Send an Email to Gur Search for Posts by Gur Add Gur to your Buddy List
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Absolutely.

Now, please help us look sincere so that the Great Doctor will rise out of the pumpkin patch and give us gifts.

01-15-2008 14:22 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male
Unbalanced

images/avatars/avatar-373.jpg

Registration Date: 05-30-2004
Favorite 77s album: Island Album

Perry And The Poor Boys song "Everyone Is In Love" sounds an awful lot like the 77's. It's from the album Saturn Light. Mike plays on it.

01-15-2008 14:41 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

That sounds reasonable, since bands tend to take on a little of the personality of their mentors. I could tell when Steve Taylor really got involved with The Newsboys.

Their MySpace page says that they're Elvis Costello meets REM and gets saved. Actually, one of the songs that they had available there reminded me of "Ventura Highway" in spots.

01-15-2008 14:46 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
dennis
Happy Roy

images/avatars/avatar-487.jpg

Registration Date: 10-03-2004
Favorite 77s album: "88"

I saw Perry & The Poor Boys back in 1989 or so.

They opened for the Altar Boys and for the soundcheck they played "they one I love."

I bought their demo looking tape which featured a cover of "The Lust..." and a version of "Wayfaring Stranger."

Last year I picked their CD, "Deep Blue Sea" at one of the local Goodwills.

I don't think I have listened to it, yet.

It was produced by Mike Roe, and yes, they are feet with sandals on the cover.

That's all I got.
01-15-2008 14:54 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

"Wayfaring Stranger" would be a good fit for them.

01-15-2008 14:56 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
dennis
Happy Roy

Shocked Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Crying Yeah, it was. However I have no idea what happened to that tape! Crying
01-15-2008 15:10 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Oops!

01-15-2008 15:11 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
Gur Gur is a male
Mezzo

What is Doc doing in the pumpkin patch?
01-15-2008 15:32 Gur is offline Send an Email to Gur Search for Posts by Gur Add Gur to your Buddy List
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Well, every Halloween, he RIIIIISES out of the pumpkin patch to give gifts to the most sincere....

No, wait--that's the Great Pumpkin.

Um....OOPS!

01-15-2008 15:37 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
dennis
Happy Roy

Thumb Up! Very nice! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

NP:

This is about 100 times better than that old tape I don't have anymore!

Cool
01-16-2008 14:48 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis
Happy Roy

Big Grin Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I have only had this CD for something like a year.

I guess it's about time I play it.

...and it's pretty good! Shocked
01-16-2008 14:49 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
dennis
Happy Roy

I remember "House in the Hills" song from the tape! Tongue
01-16-2008 15:21 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

If we achieve nothing else, we've made a Perry and the Poor Boys fan out of dennis.

01-16-2008 15:27 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » Doctor vs. Perry and the Poor Boys

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH