77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » Upcoming Releases » New 77's album » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (20): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page New 77's album 7 Votes - Average Rating: 10.007 Votes - Average Rating: 10.007 Votes - Average Rating: 10.007 Votes - Average Rating: 10.007 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Esther Esther is a female
Someone New

Registration Date: 06-19-2006

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Is there any news on this record youngsters?

01-16-2007 10:57 Esther is offline Send an Email to Esther Search for Posts by Esther Add Esther to your Buddy List
Nailtatt Nailtatt is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-212.jpg

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Favorite 77s album: Sticks and Stones

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Roll Eyes

01-16-2007 10:58 Nailtatt is offline Send an Email to Nailtatt Search for Posts by Nailtatt Add Nailtatt to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Nailtatt
snowblind snowblind is a male
Unbalanced

images/avatars/avatar-404.gif

Registration Date: 03-28-2006

Probably in the Fall to coincide with a mini-tour.

01-16-2007 11:12 snowblind is offline Send an Email to snowblind Homepage of snowblind Search for Posts by snowblind Add snowblind to your Buddy List
MarkyMark77 MarkyMark77 is a male
Drowning with Land in Sight

images/avatars/avatar-456.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005
Favorite 77s album: 99

Hopefully, it will contain several "Holy Soldier" or "X-Sinner" covers.

I hope.

01-16-2007 11:21 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
Nailtatt Nailtatt is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-212.jpg

Registration Date: 05-28-2004

quote:
Originally posted by MarkyMark77
Hopefully, it will contain several "Holy Soldier" or "X-Sinner" covers.

I hope.

Tongue

01-16-2007 11:29 Nailtatt is offline Send an Email to Nailtatt Search for Posts by Nailtatt Add Nailtatt to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Nailtatt
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Registration Date: 06-01-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning with Land in Sight

quote:
Originally posted by snowblind
Probably in the Fall to coincide with a mini-tour.

Yes, that all-Nebraska tour. Pleased I'm looking forward to that!

01-20-2007 14:42 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
Nekkid Prey Nekkid Prey is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-213.jpg

Registration Date: 06-06-2004

New Album Is Tracking Along Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Esther

Just returned to the Holiday Inn Express after having spent the evening with Mark Harmon, listening to the latest from the Sevens' upcoming album.

I've got to say, the album is tracking along nicely! Mike and Mark have done a marvelous job dressing up the basic tracks I first listened to about 9 months ago.

Mike's got some killer guitar solos and Mark's really laid down some thumpin' bass lines and percussion. There's still considerable work to do on the vocals (e.g., replacing the scratch vocals with actual leads), but some of the "mostly finished" leads on several of the tracks sound great.

A few of the tracks in particular (Blind Willie Johnson's "I'm Gonna Run to the City of Refuge" and Alison Krause's "I'll Remember You, Love, in Your Prayers") have come a long, long way.

Sevens fans will not, I repeat, NOT, be disappointed with this album, which is looking more like a fall release. It really all depends on when (and how often) Mike and Mark can align their touring and session schedules. Mike's been busy with Pritzl and Mark's been busy with the Jimmy Pailer Band, which y'all really should check out.

Best,

Mike Beidler

01-25-2007 23:49 Nekkid Prey is offline Send an Email to Nekkid Prey Homepage of Nekkid Prey Search for Posts by Nekkid Prey Add Nekkid Prey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Nekkid Prey: Nekkid Prey YIM Account Name of Nekkid Prey: mike_beidler
snowblind snowblind is a male
Unbalanced

images/avatars/avatar-404.gif

Registration Date: 03-28-2006

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Woohoo!! Another reason to love fall... Big Grin

01-26-2007 03:44 snowblind is offline Send an Email to snowblind Homepage of snowblind Search for Posts by snowblind Add snowblind to your Buddy List
Cynthia
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-483.jpg

Registration Date: 07-20-2005

The Jimmy Pailer band reminds me of Stevie Ray Vaughn - real bluesy. I hope Mark is playing an upright bass on some of those. There is nothing cooler than an upright bass. Smile

01-26-2007 10:05 Cynthia is offline Search for Posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your Buddy List
Nekkid Prey Nekkid Prey is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-213.jpg

Registration Date: 06-06-2004

Upright Bass Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

IIRC, he does play the upright bass with Jimmy.

Last night, I couldn't help but ask him to play the opening notes of "God Sends Quails." Too cool.

01-26-2007 11:16 Nekkid Prey is offline Send an Email to Nekkid Prey Homepage of Nekkid Prey Search for Posts by Nekkid Prey Add Nekkid Prey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Nekkid Prey: Nekkid Prey YIM Account Name of Nekkid Prey: mike_beidler
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-546.jpg

Registration Date: 09-30-2004
Favorite 77s album: Tom Tom Blues

RE: New Album Is Tracking Along Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Nekkid Prey
quote:
Originally posted by Esther

Just returned to the Holiday Inn Express after having spent the evening with Mark Harmon, listening to the latest from the Sevens' upcoming album.

I've got to say, the album is tracking along nicely! Mike and Mark have done a marvelous job dressing up the basic tracks I first listened to about 9 months ago.

Mike's got some killer guitar solos and Mark's really laid down some thumpin' bass lines and percussion. There's still considerable work to do on the vocals (e.g., replacing the scratch vocals with actual leads), but some of the "mostly finished" leads on several of the tracks sound great.

A few of the tracks in particular (Blind Willie Johnson's "I'm Gonna Run to the City of Refuge" and Alison Krause's "I'll Remember You, Love, in Your Prayers") have come a long, long way.

Sevens fans will not, I repeat, NOT, be disappointed with this album, which is looking more like a fall release. It really all depends on when (and how often) Mike and Mark can align their touring and session schedules. Mike's been busy with Pritzl and Mark's been busy with the Jimmy Pailer Band, which y'all really should check out.

Best,

Mike Beidler

Cool
Thanx for the update, Mike

01-26-2007 13:56 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-446.jpg

here are all the updates mike gave us last year....along with one post from freak......

mike.....feel free to add to this.....

3/9/06
Jesus Hits Like The Atom Bomb
Actually, we were in the studio all together twice last year, being the studio band for the Jason Herring and Matt Nightingale albums.

Basically, these upcoming sessions are a continuation of where the last track on "Fun With Sound" was leading -- traditional gospel blues done our way. Bruce made this suggestion after weeks of touring with young blues acolyte Jackie Green and wishing to stay 'in the space' before hitting SouthXSouthwest and then the Fillmore with Jackie in the next coupla weeks. Additionally, after my having been bombarded for requests to finish that abortive "blues" album with Phil Madeira (not to mention being begged to do a new 77s album by just about everyone), I figured we could start by taking the good idea that Glenn Kaiser and Darrell Mansfield had years ago and do it one better by using the best band in the world Tongue

Though we certainly enjoy the Led Zeppelin approach to this vintage of traditional American music, it won't all sound like "City Of Refuge". We plan to explore a variety of sounds and styles just to have fun working with the material in a variety of ways. And, if it turns out like we hope, we might try recording original material after the same fashion the next time we get together

3/11/06

He may be dead, but he's still Elvis
Today was for set-up only, but we sound tested on Bill Monroe's old chestnut "When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again". Bruce fell in love with the track so I suppose we'll put it on, maybe as a 'bonus' or something. It really sounds more like a live rendition of Elvis' version as played by his first stage band which featured my guitar idol Scotty Moore, along with Bill Black on 'doghouse' bass and D.J. Fontana on drums. Mark and Bruce managed to pin that vibe down just fine without ever having heard the record, but the lead guitar and vocal practically suggest the whole thing. It probably doesn't hurt that Elvis' version was one of the first rock records I ever heard and owned. I was about three years old at the time, so I suppose it's sunk in just a bit Smile )

3/12/06

Today's session (was My First EP)
Get this -- the first time I ever heard "All Shook Up" was on my cousin's 78!!! Simply unbelievable that I'm old enough to have had that experience Mad

Today began with yet another Bill Monroe tune -- "I'm Workin' On A Building". We know it's been done to death but we needed to warm up on something. We did it rockabilly style. Nothin' fancy.

Then we tried Rev. Gary Davis' "Keep Your Lamps Trimmed & Burning" just because we had to do that one! I tried to conjure Hot Tuna's live electric version from my high school days, but it ended up sounding rockabilly again, just like the first two tunes. Must be all that slap echo I keep putting on my guitar....oh well.....

After that, Bruce suggested that I try and write an original right there on the spot. Perversely, he called for Brian Wilson as an influence -- go figger'.....Roll Eyes What we ended up with was a track that sounds like something off The Smiths' first album, which I adore, and it would not have been out of place on Pray Naked or Drowning, kinda like "The Jig Is Up". Not sure what we'll end up doing with this, but it sure sounds neat.

Then we went for Skip James' "Jesus Is A Mighty Good Leader", which I wanted to do all hopped up. Bruce suggested doing it in a gentle ballad style (which I bristled at) but in the end we probably got a lot more out of the song. Never realized it could come off that pretty and tender -- good idea.

For some reason, we decided to go for "I'm Gonna Run To The City Of Refuge", but instead of the 7&7iS "Zep" version, we tried it more like AC/DC meets ZZ Top at the cross . What can I say -- this one kicks ass. I used to play slide real good in the 70's, but let it go -- I'm back on with this one.

Speaking of slide, I suggested Mississippi Fred McDowell's amazing "You're Gonna Be Sorry" which is not part of the 'gospel' theme but I wanted to do it anyway because it's such a trance....such a train. It wasn't coming off at first and I felt foolish, but Bruce finally took my suggestion to keep the feel and tempo of the original, only he and Mark made it into something uniquely their own. I followed suit, although still convinced I'd pulled a turkey out of the hat. When we went into the control room to hear the playback, we were all amazed. Somehow this dark horse learned how to run, and we went from something that could have been really stale and hackneyed to a very special track with groove and vibes to spare.

All in all, a productive day. If tomorrow goes even half as well, we're in good shape!

3/13/06

Third Day
We took it a little slower today, starting off with a rockin' Stones-y version of Alison Krause's "I'll Remember You, Love, In My Prayers". Hard to imagine this one sounding like "Honky Tonk Women" or "Start Me Up", but it does now!

Next off was a wonderful lost song from the aborted Steve Scott album "Moving Pictures" produced by Larry Norman for Solid Rock Records in 1978 but never released. The song is called "Stranger Won't You Change Your Sinful Ways", and once again The Rolling Stones were the main inspiration for the arrangement (think "You Got The Silver" from Let It Bleed, or perhaps "Sweet Virginia" from Exile On Main Street or even "Far Away Eyes" from Some Girls....you get the idea) Ahh, the Stones had a way with old country blues-styled ballads, and since Steve and Larry went there all those years ago, we chose not to stray too far from the path after having just turned Union Station into the Glimmer Twins an hour earlier. Rising blues/pop star Jackie Greene sat in on piano and organ for this one.

We finished the day off with a Byrds meets Wilco rendition of Lester Flatt & Earl Scruggs' "What Would You Give In Exchange For Your Soul". Fans of the Lost Dogs' "Gates Of Eden" will adore this track -- the two sound almost identical.

So there you have it. Three days. Ten songs. It could have been worse.

We're hoping to throw on a few more primitive things.....perhaps a Five Blind Boys-styled a cappella rant or a jews harp & kazoo field holler here and there. Like Chuck Berry once said, "'C'est la vie' said the old folks, it goes to show you never can tell....."

**freak post**
Mike thanks so much for the treat of hearing about the 7's in the studio...

I can't wait! The only thing better would be someone cataloguing the whole experience on video...

This already sounds like an instant classic! - The track list is freaking great already - with a few more - this is "outta sight."

Jesus Hits Like an Atom Bomb

"I'll Remember You, Love, In My Prayers" (A. Krause/Union Station)

"Stranger Won't You Change Your Sinful Ways" (S. Scott) w/Jackie Greene on Keys
That the moving pictures disc was never released by Norman is tragic...

"What Would You Give In Exchange for Your Soul" (L. Flatt & E. Scruggs)

"I'm Working On A Building" (B. Monroe)

"Keep Your Lamps Timmed & Burning" (Rev. G. Davis)

Spontaneous B. Wilson Inpired Tune [ala DWLIS JIG!!!] (the mighty 7's)

"Jesus is A Mighty Good Leader" (Skip James)

"Run to the City of Refuge" (Blind Willie Johnson)
ACDC meets ZZ Top - Dr. Love "it kick's ass!" - looking forward to this!!!

"You're Gonna Be Sorry" (Mississippi Fred McDowell)
"a special track - w/ groove and vibe to spare." Doctor Love

"When My Blue Moon Turns to Gold Again" (Bill Monroe)
a bonus track?!

~f

3/13/06

Jesus Hits Like An Atom Bomb?
I love this as an album title, but it's been done at least twice before by other artists, including grunge-rock legends Tripping Daisy.

Should we go ahead and use it anyway? It's pretty cool, plus I want to record the actual song a capella black vocal quartet style if we have time.

An alternate might be something more trite like Blue Moon, or perhaps Blue Moon Turns To Gold. I like both of those as well because have double meanings. Of course, then we'd need to cut "Blue Moon" too. (Elvis' downright scary version of this song gives me goosebumps -- anyone out there familiar with it?)

I know it's probably uncool to toss around possible album titles with your fans, but only the few...the proud.....the faithful... are here in the first place. This music is for you first, as far as I'm concerned, so who better to ask? At this point, I've already spoiled the mystery by being so open about it all from the git-go, but this project is really about having fun more than anything else. If you're not having fun, what's the point? This was never meant to be 'the next biggest thing since Colossus', which we no longer have any interest in doing. Radioactive Crows was an example of that and look where it got us.

Any other coy and clever album title ideas are welcome at this point. We may not use 'em, but it's fun to think 'em up. Most album titles are so stupid anyway.

01-28-2007 19:45 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Homepage of larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of larryl: nashvillelarryl YIM Account Name of larryl: larryl922

Personally, I would love to hear Mike & Co. do "Satisfied", an old Martha Carson tune recorded by Elvis Presley in his Sun days. What's interesting about it is that it's never been released, and supposedly the tape is lost to history.

Just me dreaming, I know.

I'm pretty excited about this disc. For me, there's just something great about the rockabilly/gospel side of rock. I still really dig Paul McCartney's "Run Devil Run", and that late 40's/early & mid 50's pre-rock & roll stuff. Any good bands covering that material usually turns out very well, because the songs are so good.

And Carl Perkins, too. I can hear Mike singing "All Mama's Children".

Great song choice by the 7's, as usual.

01-30-2007 13:06 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

images/avatars/avatar-381.gif

Registration Date: 11-17-2004
Favorite 77s album: The one's Mike plays guitar on

Still looking forward to this!!!

Someone let me know when it has a street date.

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies
and i don't understand it"

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
03-01-2007 05:41 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux

One year... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

So, it's been a year since basic tracks have been recorded.

Which is fine. I know how things move in the Dogs universe.

Just wanting to know of any updates, especially after Audiori J's cryptic message on the "Dead Today" thread.

03-16-2007 07:08 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Rocks in your Head

it's about 2/3's done, is the last word we have gotten.

that as of about 2 weeks ago.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by larryl: 03-16-2007 07:21.

03-16-2007 07:21 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Homepage of larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of larryl: nashvillelarryl YIM Account Name of larryl: larryl922
dennis
Happy Roy

images/avatars/avatar-487.jpg

Registration Date: 10-03-2004
Favorite 77s album: "88"

Can't wait to hear it.
03-18-2007 10:29 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Rocks in your Head

quote:
Originally posted by larryl
here are all the updates mike gave us last year....along with one post from freak......

mike.....feel free to add to this.....

3/9/06
Jesus Hits Like The Atom Bomb
Actually, we were in the studio all together twice last year, being the studio band for the Jason Herring and Matt Nightingale albums.

Today began with yet another Bill Monroe tune -- "I'm Workin' On A Building". We know it's been done to death but we needed to warm up on something. We did it rockabilly style. Nothin' fancy.

this weekend, i stumbled across the fact that apparently alvin carter, of THE carter family wrote this, not bill monroe......

we can't be mis-crediting songs, can we now?

Big Grin

03-19-2007 06:19 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Homepage of larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of larryl: nashvillelarryl YIM Account Name of larryl: larryl922
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

thanks Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Not a problem. Any and all information and/or corrections to whatever information I've sort of dribbled out there is welcome.

Our goal is to get this thing out in the Fall. The delay is not due to not caring -- it's due to having to make a living alongside playing music, along with family and commitments to our communities and lives.

Mark, Bruce and I certainly wish that all we had to do was sit around on our lazy butts day in and day out and make 77's albums, but we'd be in jail and/or the divorce court and our kids would hate us and be all on drugs and so forth.

Heh heh...
04-03-2007 11:08 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

images/avatars/avatar-381.gif

Registration Date: 11-17-2004
Favorite 77s album: The one's Mike plays guitar on

RE: thanks Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Love
Not a problem. Any and all information and/or corrections to whatever information I've sort of dribbled out there is welcome.

Our goal is to get this thing out in the Fall. The delay is not due to not caring -- it's due to having to make a living alongside playing music, along with family and commitments to our communities and lives.

Mark, Bruce and I certainly wish that all we had to do was sit around on our lazy butts day in and day out and make 77's albums, but we'd be in jail and/or the divorce court and our kids would hate us and be all on drugs and so forth.

Heh heh...

Update appreciated!

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies
and i don't understand it"

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
04-03-2007 15:30 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
Pages (20): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » Upcoming Releases » New 77's album

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH