77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » The Island Album » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page The Island Album
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
pelagius42 pelagius42 is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-150.jpg

Registration Date: 05-05-2006
Favorite 77s album: 88

The Island Album Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

i recently picked up a used copy of the Island record on vinyl, and am enjoying it muchly.
i have a couple questions for any who might know.

Item 1:
"if you had done that in NY, you would've been fired" side 1 inner groove
"if you had done that in CA, you would've been fired" side 2 inner groove

is there a specific story behind this? or just general, typical record making studio talk?

item 2:

in the inner sleeve, it appears that Jan Eric is playing guitar in both pictures (or a Fender 6-string bass i've never seen before). What kind of guitar is this, and why is it not bass-ful?

Item 3:
Why is this album so good? :p

Ahh...trivia.
06-06-2006 17:18 pelagius42 is offline Send an Email to pelagius42 Homepage of pelagius42 Search for Posts by pelagius42 Add pelagius42 to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of pelagius42: pelagius42 YIM Account Name of pelagius42: pelagius42 View the MSN Profile for pelagius42
Someone New

Thread Starter Thread Started by pelagius42
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

even though the old replies are gone, i'm going to respond to what i remember having been posted.

Dr. Love says he never liked the Island album (save 2 songs), but thought the demos were better. Having only recently heard many of the demos, i had no comment.
Having now heard many of them, i have to say that the demos are most excellent, and do surpass the album. That being said, i do enjoy the album itself...
although "Don't Say Goodbye" still reminds me of New Kids on the Block Tongue
07-12-2006 13:13 pelagius42 is offline Send an Email to pelagius42 Homepage of pelagius42 Search for Posts by pelagius42 Add pelagius42 to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of pelagius42: pelagius42 YIM Account Name of pelagius42: pelagius42 View the MSN Profile for pelagius42
Nailtatt Nailtatt is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-212.jpg

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Favorite 77s album: Sticks and Stones

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

"I Could Laugh" is one of my all time favorite songs by the 77's.

07-12-2006 13:42 Nailtatt is offline Send an Email to Nailtatt Search for Posts by Nailtatt Add Nailtatt to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Nailtatt
jeffrey k. jeffrey k. is a male
Mr. Magoo

images/avatars/avatar-353.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2004

quote:
Originally posted by pelagius42 "Don't Say Goodbye" still reminds me of New Kids on the Block Tongue

Wow....the fact you can make that compairison is frightening. Shame on you for knowing what "New Kids On The Block" sounds like.

When did Mike say he didn't like the Island record?

jeffrey k.

07-12-2006 18:57 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
Someone New

Thread Starter Thread Started by pelagius42

quote:
Originally posted by jeffrey k.
quote:
Originally posted by pelagius42 "Don't Say Goodbye" still reminds me of New Kids on the Block Tongue

Wow....the fact you can make that compairison is frightening. Shame on you for knowing what "New Kids On The Block" sounds like.

When did Mike say he didn't like the Island record?

jeffrey k.

I was between the ages of 7 and 9 when new kids on the block were big...i was slightly bombarded with it...or at least, that's my excuse Tongue

Dr. Love posted a reply about a month ago that has since gone missing about his own attitude toward the album. i believe he said he didn't like the album, except for Pearls Before Swine and I Could Laugh, and preferred the demo versions to the album versions.
07-12-2006 19:02 pelagius42 is offline Send an Email to pelagius42 Homepage of pelagius42 Search for Posts by pelagius42 Add pelagius42 to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of pelagius42: pelagius42 YIM Account Name of pelagius42: pelagius42 View the MSN Profile for pelagius42
rob 3.0 rob 3.0 is a male
Radioactive Crow

images/avatars/avatar-180.gif

Favorite 77s album: Drowning With Land in Sight

It was in a thread that i think was lost in the 77s board restore.

Was I ever on the inside?
07-12-2006 19:23 rob 3.0 is offline Send an Email to rob 3.0 Homepage of rob 3.0 Search for Posts by rob 3.0 Add rob 3.0 to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of rob 3.0: digitalrob3 YIM Account Name of rob 3.0: flashfan77 View the MSN Profile for rob 3.0
tom tom blue tom tom blue is a male
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-268.jpg

Registration Date: 05-30-2004
Favorite 77s album: STICKS & STONES

i think mike doesn't like the island album because that was the same year the JOSHUA TREE came out by U2. and i geel the 77s were put aside because of U2

07-25-2006 19:37 tom tom blue is offline Send an Email to tom tom blue Homepage of tom tom blue Search for Posts by tom tom blue Add tom tom blue to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of tom tom blue: raelzoo
Alex Alex is a male
Mr. Magoo

images/avatars/avatar-115.jpg

Registration Date: 05-01-2005
Favorite 77s album: Eighty Eight

quote:
Originally posted by tom tom blue
i think mike doesn't like the island album because that was the same year the JOSHUA TREE came out by U2. and i geel the 77s were put aside because of U2

There's an MP3 file of an interview with Mike somewhere on the 77s site where he talks about U2. What Mike says makes completely sense to me.

I think the 77s were mostly an alt-, blues- and rock- based live band back then, and the "polished" sound of the record doesn't do their live energy justice. Just compare it with "Eighty Eight".

However, the record was made in an attempt to score a hit album, and so it had to be less raw and more mass- appealing than the live shows. Especially in the Eighties. Remember the bands that were big back then.

Alex

07-25-2006 23:03 Alex is offline Send an Email to Alex Homepage of Alex Search for Posts by Alex Add Alex to your Buddy List
Mezzo

exactly! Big Grin

07-26-2006 18:54 tom tom blue is offline Send an Email to tom tom blue Homepage of tom tom blue Search for Posts by tom tom blue Add tom tom blue to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of tom tom blue: raelzoo
BigDork
Happy Roy

images/avatars/avatar-218.jpg

Location: lI was lonely and hungry, but not so lonely I wouldn't eat

quote:
Originally posted by Alex
Especially in the Eighties. Remember the bands that were big back then.

Alex

no Tongue

07-26-2006 18:57 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Mezzo

yes Tongue

08-02-2006 19:41 tom tom blue is offline Send an Email to tom tom blue Homepage of tom tom blue Search for Posts by tom tom blue Add tom tom blue to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of tom tom blue: raelzoo
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » The Island Album

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH