77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » how long? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page how long?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
wowzer wowzer is a female
Someone New

Registration Date: 07-17-2006

how long? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

How long have you all been 77s fans

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by wowzer: 07-19-2006 15:02.

07-18-2006 22:18 wowzer is offline Send an Email to wowzer Search for Posts by wowzer Add wowzer to your Buddy List
Birchell Birchell is a male
Praying Naked

images/avatars/avatar-391.jpg

Registration Date: 10-08-2004
Favorite 77s album: Impossible to pick!!!

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

since 1985

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Birchell: 07-19-2006 20:28.

07-19-2006 20:27 Birchell is offline Send an Email to Birchell Search for Posts by Birchell Add Birchell to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Drowning with Land in Sight

images/avatars/avatar-294.gif

Registration Date: 05-19-2005
Favorite 77s album: Sticks and Stones

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

around 91

07-19-2006 20:38 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List
LuR KiNG
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-86.jpg

Registration Date: 09-17-2004

a Christian Book store had Ping Pong Over the Abyss LP

buy one, give one to a friend, so I did.
07-19-2006 21:19 LuR KiNG is offline Send an Email to LuR KiNG Search for Posts by LuR KiNG Add LuR KiNG to your Buddy List
Alex Alex is a male
Mr. Magoo

images/avatars/avatar-115.jpg

Registration Date: 05-01-2005
Favorite 77s album: Eighty Eight

I heard "You don't scare me" first in 1985. I liked it a lot, but I didn't like the AFD album too much, then I lost track of the band. What got me hooked was the "88" live CD that I bought in the early nineties. It really blew me away. During my wild, crazy and troubled years it was one of the few christian CDs I could listen to. Those guys seemed honest and human to me, not like the spandex- wearing white metal warriors of that time.

I later bought the 1-2-3 box set, then the rest, one after another. But "88" ist still my favourite. The "Cornerstone 2002 bootleg" comes close. Of the studio CDs I like DWLIS best, but they're all so different that it changes from time to time. PPOTA and AFD will probably never be my favs.

Alex

P.S. I also came back to liking Stryper. Their "Reborn" CD is killer, as Eddie'd say.

07-20-2006 02:15 Alex is offline Send an Email to Alex Homepage of Alex Search for Posts by Alex Add Alex to your Buddy List
Sharon Sharon is a female
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 06-07-2004
Favorite 77s album: 88 Miserable Crows Drowning

I don't exactly remember the year, but it was the early 80s when I saw the "Different Kind of Light" video on "Real Videos" and got "Ping Pong over the Abyss" record.

07-20-2006 04:23 Sharon is offline Send an Email to Sharon Search for Posts by Sharon Add Sharon to your Buddy List
God-rules God-rules is a male
Happy Roy

Registration Date: 06-03-2004

I can't recall for sure it was either 83 or 84. I remember who turned me on to the 7s, and I ment him mid 83 he moved back to CA mid 84. So sometime in that area.

Michaelhaven'tthoughaboutPastorJeffforalongtime

I'm gonna put my carbon footprint right up a greenies lactose intolerant hind end! - squidzit 2008
07-20-2006 04:41 God-rules is offline Send an Email to God-rules Search for Posts by God-rules Add God-rules to your Buddy List
JohnL JohnL is a male
Baby Elvis

images/avatars/avatar-311.jpg

Registration Date: 07-11-2006
Favorite 77s album: Crows

Wow compared to others here, I must be a nubbie. The first CD I bought was DWLIS. Have been a fan ever since...
07-20-2006 05:37 JohnL is offline Send an Email to JohnL Search for Posts by JohnL Add JohnL to your Buddy List
Nailtatt Nailtatt is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-212.jpg

Registration Date: 05-28-2004

Got intro'd to the band in the early 80's. Lost track of them for a year or 2 then came across the Island recored in a used CD store shortly after it came out and have been with them ever since!

07-20-2006 05:44 Nailtatt is offline Send an Email to Nailtatt Search for Posts by Nailtatt Add Nailtatt to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Nailtatt
herringostarr herringostarr is a male
Praying Naked

images/avatars/avatar-420.jpg

Registration Date: 09-03-2005

I was completely oblivious until, yes, I'm afraid to confess, 2000!!

A buddy of mine was a truck driver and had heard "Pray Where You Are" while in Ohio. He liked it, purchased the disc, then later, purchased "Gift Horse". He loaned it to me, I played it non-stop for about two months. I had NO IDEA that these guys had solo projects and other bands. As I was telling a friend at church about the CD, he explained to me how he was a big fan and how they all had a nice discography. Then I began to see how they were the Traveling Wilburys in the Christian scene. He loaned me a huge collection of, well everything. Mike, Terry, The Choir, Adam Again, Daniel Amos, and ah...The 77's. So I began online with my investigating. I was instantly hooked on ALL OF THIS GREAT MUSIC. Thanks to a few bloody wars on eBay and these websites, I have every recording of all the guys' stuff except "Darn Floor" and "Echos o Faith"(and of course the fan club releases I missed before my discovery...*%##@!!). This music seriously changed my life. I continue to spread the news of the 77's.

And one of the best things is through these bands, you stumble across stuff like The Strawmen, Dr. Edward Daniel Taylor, The Raptures...I hope it never ends! Woo Hoo!!

07-20-2006 06:00 herringostarr is offline Send an Email to herringostarr Search for Posts by herringostarr Add herringostarr to your Buddy List
MefLiszto MefLiszto is a male
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 06-14-2004

I heard Ping Ping back in '83. The album was OK, though I seriously LOVED Renaissance Man and I still like Time Is Slipping Away and Denomination Blues. I really took to the band when All Fall Down came out, especially after seeing them at Ichthus n '85 (see the DVD).

Darin
07-20-2006 06:14 MefLiszto is offline Send an Email to MefLiszto Search for Posts by MefLiszto Add MefLiszto to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of MefLiszto: MefLiszto YIM Account Name of MefLiszto: Feykdrulez
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

images/avatars/avatar-381.gif

Registration Date: 11-17-2004
Favorite 77s album: The one's Mike plays guitar on

RE: how long? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I thought How Long was a chinaman.

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies
and i don't understand it"

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
07-20-2006 07:45 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
Nailtatt Nailtatt is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-212.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by MefLiszto
I heard Ping Ping back in '83. The album was OK, though I seriously LOVED Renaissance Man and I still like Time Is Slipping Away and Denomination Blues. I really took to the band when All Fall Down came out, especially after seeing them at Ichthus n '85 (see the DVD).

Darin

Ping Ping? Tongue

07-20-2006 07:52 Nailtatt is offline Send an Email to Nailtatt Search for Posts by Nailtatt Add Nailtatt to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Nailtatt
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Registration Date: 06-01-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning with Land in Sight

I somehow (thanks, God!) picked up a couple issues of Syndicate magazine in the mid-90s during the height of the drama right after my divorce. I read some amazingly candid statements by a singer that had just gone through his own divorce, and was curious about the music. I ordered Drowning with Land in Sight, The Boat Ashore, and Safe as Milk (curdled version), and have been a fan of the 77s and alt rock by Christians in general ever since. For both objective and sentimental reasons, the 77s is, are, were, will be my favorite band out of the lot.

I don't feel too bad about not getting around to it until the mid-90s, because I've run into very few people out here that even know who they, or a lot of bands from that genre, are.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Marti: 07-20-2006 07:59.

07-20-2006 07:57 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
BigDork
Happy Roy

images/avatars/avatar-218.jpg

Location: lI was lonely and hungry, but not so lonely I wouldn't eat

bought PPOTA in 83 and everything since.

07-20-2006 08:15 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-446.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2004

some of you are awfully old Big Grin Big Grin

i've been listening to everything mike roe that i could get my hands on since around 1991

07-20-2006 08:27 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Homepage of larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of larryl: nashvillelarryl YIM Account Name of larryl: larryl922
Zudrak Zudrak is a male
Baby Elvis

images/avatars/avatar-243.jpg

Registration Date: 07-18-2006
Favorite 77s album: A Golden Field of Radioactive

Quoting myself from here:

quote:
...A former Roman Catholic, I first got into the 77's shortly after I became a born again Christian in 1991. I began getting into Christian music, but had to sift through a lot of the "pop" (Carman, Dion, Amy Grant) stuff to find the good stuff. The Christian Bookstore nearest my old house had demos and I got into Petra and Whiteheart right away in 1992.

Then, one night I was watching the weekly CCM show on The Family Channel and saw an ad for WAL records promoting The Lost Dogs' Little Red Riding Hood. I went out and got it. I then found out (through the liner notes) that the band was made up of four lead singers. It took me a loooong time, but eventually I bought some 77's, The Choir, Mike Roe, DA, and Adam Again CD's (the latter being bought off Amazon just last month!)...

Edit: Oops. So, my answer would be 1993 when I discovered the Dogs, but officially 1994 when I bought Drowning with Land in Sight. Good thing CD's were invented because I'd have worn out a cassette or LP before 1994 ended. I do remember seeing the video "Mercy Mercy" on MTV when I was a lad of just 12 years old.

-Psalm 73:26

Michael 4 & Michael 77

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Zudrak: 07-20-2006 08:48.

07-20-2006 08:35 Zudrak is offline Send an Email to Zudrak Search for Posts by Zudrak Add Zudrak to your Buddy List
j77
unregistered

Picked up PPOTA in late 1983 or early 1984 and have been a fan ever since. Like Alex said earlier 88 is one of the only "Christian" albums I would listen to for a long time, until I came back to the Lord about 8 years ago. I have everything the 77s have done, except maybe a couple of very rare singles.
07-20-2006 09:09
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-546.jpg

Registration Date: 09-30-2004
Favorite 77s album: Tom Tom Blues

07-20-2006 09:34 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
Sharon Sharon is a female
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 06-07-2004
Favorite 77s album: 88 Miserable Crows Drowning

quote:
Originally posted by larryl
some of you are awfully old Big Grin Big Grin

There is no age limit to good taste in music. Happy

07-20-2006 09:53 Sharon is offline Send an Email to Sharon Search for Posts by Sharon Add Sharon to your Buddy List
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » how long?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH