77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » Vintage CCM question - can anyone help me find this record? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Vintage CCM question - can anyone help me find this record?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
DoItForLove DoItForLove is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 12-31-2005
Favorite 77s album: 1987

Vintage CCM question - can anyone help me find this record? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

For all of you vintage and semi-vintage CCM fans out there - I am trying to locate a band name and a record. Here is everything I can remember: The song I remember included the lyrics, "Jenny, Jenny, don't, don't run away." I was young, but it seemed to me it was more or less sung to the tune of Tommy Two-Tone's "867-5309." The cassette "sleeve" was purple (botom portion), white, black, purple, and I believe orange (top portion) - I think there was a triangle on the cover.

That's all I remember. Anyone out there know the band name and/or song name? Know anyone I could contact that might have such info? A website where I could post this question? I have "googled" the lyrics but nothing comes up.

77's connection? None - though I did buy the cassette at the same store where I bought the first three 77's releases.

Help!

DoItForLove

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by DoItForLove: 01-29-2006 18:39.

01-29-2006 18:38 DoItForLove is offline Send an Email to DoItForLove Search for Posts by DoItForLove Add DoItForLove to your Buddy List
Cheyenne Cheyenne is a female
Drowning with Land in Sight

images/avatars/avatar-513.jpg

Registration Date: 02-28-2005
Favorite 77s album: Sticks & Stones

RE: Vintage CCM question - can anyone help me find this record? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I could be wrong, but "Jenny" by Steve Taylor off Meltdown (1984) came to mind immediately. Here are the lyrics:

http://www.renc.igs.net/~adt/qrstuv/song...wn/track09.html

Hope this is it!
01-29-2006 23:57 Cheyenne is offline Send an Email to Cheyenne Search for Posts by Cheyenne Add Cheyenne to your Buddy List
Cynthia
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-483.jpg

Registration Date: 07-20-2005

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I listened to that album A LOT and don't even remember that song. Now I'm interested to hear the album so I can remember it. It was close to 20 years ago though, so I guess that's an okay excuse? Either that or my dementia is setting in. Tongue

01-30-2006 06:33 Cynthia is offline Search for Posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your Buddy List
herringostarr herringostarr is a male
Praying Naked

images/avatars/avatar-420.jpg

Registration Date: 09-03-2005

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I doubt this is what you're referring to but it's sounds similar enough to bring up...

The ApologetiX did a spoof off the song "867-5309/Jenny" by Tommy Tutone in 2000. The cover art of that album had many colors and a picture of the trinity sign (triangle, of course).

They titled the song "Genny 22". If you like parodies, you should probably check these guys out. They're not for everyone but I have great respect for them. The guys are really talented...They do spoofs from some big hits over the years. One of my personal favorites: They pull off a parody of "Enter Sandman" by Metallica titled "Enter Samson"...It's pretty amazing, vocals and guitar work. The writter J. Jackson is a heck of a lyricist...funny or not. Here's a link to their homepage...
http://www.apologetix.com/index.php

You can find the lyrics to the song I'm talking about to see if it's the one you have in mind.

10-4.

01-31-2006 12:59 herringostarr is offline Send an Email to herringostarr Search for Posts by herringostarr Add herringostarr to your Buddy List
Someone New

Thread Starter Thread Started by DoItForLove
Cynthia (re: Jenny, Jenny) Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Well, it's definitely not the Steve Taylor song - I know that one quiet well. The ApologetiX spoof I'd never heard of, but that's not it either.

Cynthia - When you said you listened to that album a lot, which album are you referring to? The one I made mention of? If so, what is the name of the band and what is the name of the record?
02-02-2006 21:53 DoItForLove is offline Send an Email to DoItForLove Search for Posts by DoItForLove Add DoItForLove to your Buddy List
Cynthia
Mezzo

Sorry - I guess I wasn't very specific in what I was talking about. It was actually Steve Taylor's album that I was referring to that I listened to all of the time. I had thought that I listened to Melt Down the most because of the song Melt Down, but it ended up being Steve Taylor's Limelight which also has the song Melt Down on it that I guess I used to listen to the most. That explains why I didn't remember the Jenny song that Cheyenne was referring to. Hope that made sense and wasn't too confusing - but anyway - no, I don't know the Jenny song you were talking about or remember the album you were describing. Frown

02-03-2006 06:34 Cynthia is offline Search for Posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your Buddy List
Audiori J
unregistered

I am usually pretty good at this kind of question, but can't seem to think of it either. But I will look around and see if I can come up wth a LP cover that matches that description.
02-03-2006 07:47
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-546.jpg

Registration Date: 09-30-2004
Favorite 77s album: Tom Tom Blues

In her right hand, Jenny held the Bible of her mother.
Jenny held a pistol in the other.

Frown Crying

02-03-2006 08:05 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
Audiori J
unregistered

Less Than Jake did a parady of that song on their "Losers, Kings, and Things We Don't Understand" album. But the cover doesn't look as you describe. Actually a lot of people did covers or paradies of that song, makes it hard to research.
02-03-2006 08:09
larryl larryl is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-446.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2004

i have the apologetix greatest hits CD....i have listened to it once.

02-03-2006 08:24 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Homepage of larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of larryl: nashvillelarryl YIM Account Name of larryl: larryl922
Praying Naked

Could it be...

Well Jenny got a gun
Jenny got a gun
The whole world's come undone
From lookin' straight at the sun

Oh, that was Janie...Nevermind.

02-03-2006 09:24 herringostarr is offline Send an Email to herringostarr Search for Posts by herringostarr Add herringostarr to your Buddy List
Pfiagra Pfiagra is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-125.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2004

RE: Vintage CCM question - can anyone help me find this record? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

When I first read this thread the song that immediately came to my mind was "Jamie" by Crumbacher because everyone I know who first hears it thinks that they are singing "Jenny."

02-03-2006 10:12 Pfiagra is offline Send an Email to Pfiagra Search for Posts by Pfiagra Add Pfiagra to your Buddy List
Cynthia
Mezzo

I asked hubbie about this CD - he didn't know either.

02-03-2006 10:21 Cynthia is offline Search for Posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your Buddy List
Someone New

One day I'll find it... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Thanks for everyone's help...but so far, no luck. Love Crumbacher, but it's definitely not one of their songs. The name in the song is most definitely "Jenny" - and the lyrics go, "Jenny, Jenny don't, don't, run away." Don't recall anything else about any other song on the record...just that one song and the record sleeve...I believe it was the only song I liked. Release date was probably in the mid-to-late 80's, could not have been as late as the 90's because the store at which I purchased the cassette had closed by the 90's. Also, I wouldn't call it a parody - if I remember correctly, the song had a somewhat serious tone.

Thanks again...hopefully someone can come up with the title.

Does anyone know of a board that dicusses such things - old school/vintage CCM?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by DoItForLove: 02-04-2006 15:05.

02-04-2006 08:17 DoItForLove is offline Send an Email to DoItForLove Search for Posts by DoItForLove Add DoItForLove to your Buddy List
BigDork
Happy Roy

images/avatars/avatar-218.jpg

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Location: lI was lonely and hungry, but not so lonely I wouldn't eat

you could search here

I did search for jenny and only the Steve Taylor tune came up...

maybe you could scan some artists that you may think it is to see if you find the album cover???

good luck.

02-04-2006 17:15 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Someone New

Still trying, still not succeeding... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I wouldn't have the first clue what band name to look under...it was a one off record by this band - never saw anything before it, never anything after it.

Bummer.

Thanks again for tryin'
02-04-2006 18:25 DoItForLove is offline Send an Email to DoItForLove Search for Posts by DoItForLove Add DoItForLove to your Buddy List
Audiori J
unregistered

Jennifer Knapp - "Lead Me True"

Never thought I'd come to the day when
I'd drop my head and ask to stay for a while
Just ran away when it got too tough
Built my life on lies and little trust
Now I'm down on my knees Puttin' faith in a prayer
After I walked a million miles to find what I had
left behind circle back find my Lord
calling out to me He said
"Jenni come just as fast as you can
let go of that devil's hand only I only I
can lead you true"
spent too much my time runnin' back and forth
never thought I'd live to be a praise report
But Jesus put the breath of life in me
After I walked a million miles to find what I had
calling out to me He said
"Jenni come just as fast as you can
let go of that devil's hand only I only I
can lead you true"
It's sure good to see you again my long lost friend
What of this absence has made your heart so weak
Well I walked a million miles to find what I had
calling out to me
I hear you call I hear you say Jenni don't
Jenni don't run away
I need a witness to say
Well I walked a million miles to find what I had
calling out to me
02-06-2006 12:39
Someone New

Right words, wrong song... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Thanks again, but I think I am doomed to never find the song...however, you have given me the idea to search with Jenny spelled differently...and you did remind me to mention that the singer was male and this was a band, not an individual artist...and from the late 80's, which would, I believe, eliminate Jennifer Knapp.

But again...thanks for your efforts!
02-06-2006 19:45 DoItForLove is offline Send an Email to DoItForLove Search for Posts by DoItForLove Add DoItForLove to your Buddy List
Praying Naked

Jennifer Knapp can jam...

02-07-2006 02:23 herringostarr is offline Send an Email to herringostarr Search for Posts by herringostarr Add herringostarr to your Buddy List
Audiori J
unregistered

Yeah figured it wasn't her, I wasn't sure if the song she recorded was original and new or an old song originally written by someone else.

But yeah, Jenny can be spelled a few different ways. That makes the search harder, and it seems like there are a lot of songs with similar lines.
02-07-2006 07:28
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » Vintage CCM question - can anyone help me find this record?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH