77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » Fun with Sound » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (8): « first ... « previous 3 4 [5] 6 7 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Fun with Sound 5 Votes - Average Rating: 10.005 Votes - Average Rating: 10.005 Votes - Average Rating: 10.005 Votes - Average Rating: 10.005 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Posts in this Thread Author Date
« Previous Page
 Hey Baxter!!! 77 bc 12-23-2004 13:45
 RE: Fun with Sound dennis 12-23-2004 14:15
 RE: Fun with Sound carl 12-24-2004 08:28
 RE: Fun with Sound dennis 12-24-2004 09:43
 throughts from someone new killer 01-22-2005 22:20
 throughts from someone new killer 01-24-2005 17:13
 RE: Fun with Sound rob 3.0 12-24-2004 11:17
 RE: Fun with Sound carl 01-06-2005 06:07
 RE: Fun with Sound phreak 01-07-2005 09:20
 Seven & Seven Is DaLe 01-07-2005 20:08
 RE: Seven & Seven Is 77 bc 01-10-2005 04:48
 My thoughts theo 01-12-2005 08:23
 RE: Fun with Sound .evangeline. 01-12-2005 09:18
 smooth jopawil 01-15-2005 12:21
 RE: smooth lam77s 01-16-2005 15:24
 RE: smooth Marti 01-17-2005 04:42
 RE: smooth carl 01-18-2005 05:54
 RE: Fun with Sound ¿SheriffJohnBrown? 01-15-2005 18:48
 re: smooth jopawil 01-18-2005 09:16
 RE: Fun with Sound phreak 01-23-2005 11:53
Next Page »

Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

images/avatars/avatar-381.gif

Registration Date: 11-17-2004
Favorite 77s album: The one's Mike plays guitar on

Hey Baxter!!! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

read this review...

http://tm3am.com/article_041215.htm

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies
and i don't understand it"

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
12-23-2004 13:45 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
dennis
Happy Roy

images/avatars/avatar-487.jpg

Registration Date: 10-03-2004
Favorite 77s album: "88"

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

That's a cool little website there! Cool
12-23-2004 14:15 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Flower in the Sand

Registration Date: 06-02-2004
Favorite 77s album: The Funky Crow Thang
Location: Loveland, CO.... "I told my mother when I was four years old I wanted to be a Rock and Roll singer and a dishwasher. And that's kinda how it's worked out."

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Definitely. I've wound up there and stayed for hours before. You dig into those archives yet, dennis?

(this is my official work photo, BTW... Tongue Shocked )
12-24-2004 08:28 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Homepage of carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List
dennis
Happy Roy

images/avatars/avatar-487.jpg

Registration Date: 10-03-2004
Favorite 77s album: "88"

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by carl
Definitely. I've wound up there and stayed for hours before. You dig into those archives yet, dennis?

yes I did. I could see how get lost there for a day or so! Pleased
12-24-2004 09:43 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
killer
Someone New

Registration Date: 01-21-2005

throughts from someone new Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hey,
I'm new here to the 77s webpage. I have been listening to the 77s and Mike Roe since I was a kid back in the late 80s. They have always been the alternative to the regular christian music for me. I have never been into mainstream christian rock, and I sadly admit that most of my cds are non christian. I like the 77s because they are Real. They are not putting anyone on. Atleast that is the way I interpret them. When I first listened to "Fun with Sound" I was blown away. For me this is their best album. I have not been able put this one down since I got it 2 weeks ago. Every song is worth listening to. One song that stands out for me is Glory Train. The end of this song sounds like something Lindsy Buckingham and Mick Fleetwood did on the album "Tusk" back in the late 70's.

01-22-2005 22:20 killer is offline Send an Email to killer Search for Posts by killer Add killer to your Buddy List
killer
Someone New

Registration Date: 01-21-2005

throughts from someone new Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'm really getting into the L'Orbis/Jack Spoiler tune right now. Interesting combo. Like many have already said, Mike Roe does a good Bob Dylan vocal in Jack Spoiler. Its amazing how this guy can change his vocals around so well.

01-24-2005 17:13 killer is offline Send an Email to killer Search for Posts by killer Add killer to your Buddy List
rob 3.0 rob 3.0 is a male
Radioactive Crow

images/avatars/avatar-180.gif

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning With Land in Sight

There is good stuff there.

Was I ever on the inside?
12-24-2004 11:17 rob 3.0 is offline Send an Email to rob 3.0 Homepage of rob 3.0 Search for Posts by rob 3.0 Add rob 3.0 to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of rob 3.0: digitalrob3 YIM Account Name of rob 3.0: flashfan77 View the MSN Profile for rob 3.0
carl carl is a male
Flower in the Sand

Location: Loveland, CO.... "I told my mother when I was four years old I wanted to be a Rock and Roll singer and a dishwasher. And that's kinda how it's worked out."

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'd agree that the middle of the CD is also the peak. It's between that & "Ride the Waves," leaning toward the latter (although I still think the former's the single, barring a remix of "Glory Train")....

01-06-2005 06:07 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Homepage of carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List
phreak phreak is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

Registration Date: 08-02-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning With Land In Sight

i must say, as hard as it is to believe, I am with Carl...

NO DOUBT to my ear - Ride the Waves - the lyric as I might have mentioned before - could possibly be Dr. Love's finest... and the whole groove mark lays down and the tasty guitar licks... hands down it is my fave. Great stuff.

~f

~ ffphreeack!! ~

Christianity 101: love God; love others

01-07-2005 09:20 phreak is offline Send an Email to phreak Search for Posts by phreak Add phreak to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of phreak: doug77@mac.com
DaLe DaLe is a male
Mr. Magoo

images/avatars/avatar-556.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2004
Location: MiNNeSoTa - HeRe we put salt on the Roads... Lord, Help me be Salt of the Earth - NoT Salt in the Wound. so, take most everything I SaY HeRe with a grain of Salt !

Thumb Up! Seven & Seven Is Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

FuN With SounD

WoW this is a Great CD !

Gone In A Moment Cool

01-07-2005 20:08 DaLe is offline Send an Email to DaLe Search for Posts by DaLe Add DaLe to your Buddy List
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

images/avatars/avatar-381.gif

Registration Date: 11-17-2004
Favorite 77s album: The one's Mike plays guitar on

RE: Seven & Seven Is Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I still hold "Say So Long" as my favorite. Not only are the lyrics great, the vocals awesome, but the guitar playing is incredible.

The extended instrumental portion at the end of the song (including the ooh's and aah's as instruments) is so cool. Listening to it, you have the ebb and flow of the music. Kinda like sitting at the musical beach and watching the waves come in.

I mentioned that this album is my fav or '04. For me, there were two other releases that were huge in '04. Mark Knopfler's "Shangri-La" and Brian Wilson presents "SMiLE".

"SMiLE" is in a category unto itself, due to the fact that it was mainly composed back in what, '66, but re-recorded for the '04 release. While it is incredible, it's still a bit too eclectic for every day listening. Mike & Mark pulled together an album that has arrangements that are, IMHO, as beautiful as anything that Brian Wilson has done, without having to resort to tin whistles, bicycle horns, etc...

Knopfler has been on of my favorites, since "Sultans of Swing". He's one of those guitar players that can pull some incredible emotion out of his guitar playing, and always seems to have the appropriate lick and fill at the right time in a song. "Shangri-La", as wonderful of a record that it is, doesn't have the sonic cohesiveness that Mike & Mark have on "Fun With Sound". Although Mike's guitar playing is very different than Knopfler's, I would say that they both have an incredible way of filling the air, seemingly effortless, with emotionally charged playing, without the distraction of showing off with speed riffs and junk. I definitly feel that Mike's playing rates with many of the greats.

Enough of my ramblin!

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies
and i don't understand it"

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
01-10-2005 04:48 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
theo theo is a male
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 09-01-2004

My thoughts Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I got this album when the merch arrived for the Christmas Shows. I, of course, plunged into the stash to see what I wished to purchase right away. heh heh Cool

The next moring, as I hit the road to meet Mike & Terry in Portland, I jammed this CD into the player and headed out. I was immediately rivoted. My first impressions have stuck with me:

1. Simply beautiful music
2. Not one song I want to push past
3. Perhaps my fave 77s album ever

Let me clarify #3. I haven't heard every album yet; being a late comer to the party. I probably have other individual 77s songs which are my favorites, but as an album, to be listened to in its entirity, this is this one.

During our travels that weekend, we all listened to the album through together. Uncle Terry said much the same--that the music was absolutely beautiful. That's high praise in of itself, I think.

theo Red Face

01-12-2005 08:23 theo is offline Send an Email to theo Homepage of theo Search for Posts by theo Add theo to your Buddy List
.evangeline. .evangeline. is a female
Radioactive Hatchling

Registration Date: 06-05-2004

i can't say it is my favorite...yet, but i am loving it. So far, the vocals and the Cowabunga music are my favorites.

"...the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force."
01-12-2005 09:18 .evangeline. is offline Send an Email to .evangeline. Search for Posts by .evangeline. Add .evangeline. to your Buddy List
jopawil jopawil is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 01-05-2005

Cool smooth Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Here's my evaluation, such as it is... Most 77s fans tend to like the rolicking Zeplinesque numbers, as do I, but often I find myself leaning more to the pop, R&B flavor of songs like "Flowers in the Sand" or "Perfect". This is the consumate CD for fans of Mike and Mark's R&B side.
The only word I can think of to describe songs like "A Quiet Little Place" and "Say So Long..." is SMOOTH. This entire CD seems so effortless, so flowing, that when I listen to it in the dark with headphones I just want to cry. There's a spot in "Gone in a Moment" during the third chorus were the slide guitar comes in that just melts me every time I hear it.
The production of all the songs, the wall of sound layering of guitars, Mark's seamless percusion and looping, the excellent stereo imaging, all trademarks of musical pros at the top of their game. Mike's vocals are excellent, it's harder to sing soft than it is loud. Lovely melodies. I haven't even begun to think about the lyrics yet.
The "Fun With Sound" title seems to have more of a "Pet Sounds" meaning, not descibing the music so much as the process that went into creating it. There is a subtle Beach Boys infulence in several of the songs, as well as Fleetwood Mac among others. But it's truely 77s music as only Mike and Mark can do it, and all influences blend into their own style just as smoothly as the music flows.
Hopefully these guys will be making more music like this long into the future.

01-15-2005 12:21 jopawil is offline Send an Email to jopawil Search for Posts by jopawil Add jopawil to your Buddy List
lam77s

Registration Date: 05-29-2004

RE: smooth Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by jopawil
This entire CD seems so effortless, so flowing, that when I listen to it in the dark with headphones I just want to cry.

Interesting you should say that. That was my first reaction. I just sat there and cried.
01-16-2005 15:24 lam77s is offline Send an Email to lam77s Search for Posts by lam77s Add lam77s to your Buddy List
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Registration Date: 06-01-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning with Land in Sight

RE: smooth Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by lam77s
quote:
This entire CD seems so effortless, so flowing, that when I listen to it in the dark with headphones I just want to cry.

Interesting you should say that. That was my first reaction. I just sat there and cried.

It's beautiful, and very peaceful.

01-17-2005 04:42 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Flower in the Sand

Cool RE: smooth Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Marti
quote:
Originally posted by lam77s
quote:

It's beautiful, and very peaceful.

He had me at the bridge.... Crying Crying Crying

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by carl: 01-18-2005 05:57.

01-18-2005 05:54 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Homepage of carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List
¿SheriffJohnBrown? ¿SheriffJohnBrown? is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 01-15-2005

I have the first 7&7iS album, More Miserable Than You'll Ever Be, and although I know many critics don't, I love it! I was excited to hear of a renewed 7&7iS.

I definately look forward to buying this album.

For now's the time for your tears

01-15-2005 18:48 ¿SheriffJohnBrown? is offline Send an Email to ¿SheriffJohnBrown? Homepage of ¿SheriffJohnBrown? Search for Posts by ¿SheriffJohnBrown? Add ¿SheriffJohnBrown? to your Buddy List
jopawil jopawil is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 01-05-2005

re: smooth Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I just thought of something else to heap praise on: The background vocals. The BGV's pop up in the most effective places and mike uses them like a keyboard or strings; they're not just harmony, they're like an independent instrument complementing but not always following the melody. Very innovative. Most of this music would make great movie soundtrack stuff. Commercials too. The emotional content of these songs is very powerful, although I was moved to tears more by the sheer beauty of the music. Same way as someone might be moved by a great painting or sculpture. Crying Frown Smile Tongue Smile ) Big Grin

01-18-2005 09:16 jopawil is offline Send an Email to jopawil Search for Posts by jopawil Add jopawil to your Buddy List
phreak phreak is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

Registration Date: 08-02-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning With Land In Sight

what killer said...

they are the real deal - the 7's are genuine!

FWS is a great release - but I am eagerly anticipating something coming from the power trio and well if D. Leonhardt wants to dial in some tones that would be great, as well!!

welcome killer, jopawil, and sheriff...

from the phreak!!

~f

~ ffphreeack!! ~

Christianity 101: love God; love others

01-23-2005 11:53 phreak is offline Send an Email to phreak Search for Posts by phreak Add phreak to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of phreak: doug77@mac.com
Pages (8): « first ... « previous 3 4 [5] 6 7 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » Fun with Sound

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH