77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » "She Was" by Love Coma » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page "She Was" by Love Coma
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Kit Kit is a male
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-587.jpg

Registration Date: 06-02-2004

"She Was" by Love Coma Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Been spinning this song a lot lately. And it's not because the Doc plays on it. I didn't even used to think it was one of the better songs from Language of Fools - which was criminally overlooked, even in the CCM alt/rock ghetto. This song has a smooth southern twang about it. Anyone heard it before? If not, get on it....

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll...nguage+of+fools

http://www.amazon.com/Language-Fools-Lov...03275563&sr=8-1

Pleased Pleased Pleased

02-17-2008 11:17 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Homepage of Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

RE: "She Was" by Love Coma Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Thanks -- that's one of my favorite songs on the album, and partially because I did play on it and really liked what I played (I played on other tracks on that album and didn't always like it -- trying to ape Matt Slocum's sound from the demos was impossible so I just gave up ... )

That track was a bear for drummer Chris Dodds because he had no concept of a straight beat at the time. He could pound out Simple Minds' Mel Gaynor for days but could not play that straight beat to save his life. Every member of the band, myself and the engineer all had to sit at the kit and show him how to do it and it was only through sheer shame and humiliation that he managed it in the end (notice how hard he's hitting that snare drum -- it was anger, dude) When I guested with Love Coma later that year at Cornerstone he was still all at sea when that song came up in the set -- I was royally pissed and so was he and the rest of the band, not to mention the audience.

I patiently explained to him that being able to play like Mel Gaynor but not like Charlie Watts is like being able to write and deliver an eloquent speech without knowing how to read. In the years following Love Coma, he would correct this situation by joining a very successful western swing band who have managed to play the Grand Old Opry numerous times, not to mention countless music festivals around the world. No more worries about playing that straight beat anymore... Tongue
02-17-2008 14:49 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
Kit Kit is a male
Flower in the Sand

Thread Starter Thread Started by Kit
RE: "She Was" by Love Coma Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Love
Thanks -- that's one of my favorite songs on the album, and partially because I did play on it and really liked what I played

I like what you played as well!!

And I guess what I meant with my "not because the Doc plays on it" comment was that my love of the song isn't because of my rabid 77s fanboy bias. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Love
That track was a bear for drummer Chris Dodds because he had no concept of a straight beat at the time. He could pound out Simple Minds' Mel Gaynor for days but could not play that straight beat to save his life. Every member of the band, myself and the engineer all had to sit at the kit and show him how to do it and it was only through sheer shame and humiliation that he managed it in the end (notice how hard he's hitting that snare drum -- it was anger, dude) When I guested with Love Coma later that year at Cornerstone he was still all at sea when that song came up in the set -- I was royally pissed and so was he and the rest of the band, not to mention the audience.

I patiently explained to him that being able to play like Mel Gaynor but not like Charlie Watts is like being able to write and deliver an eloquent speech without knowing how to read. In the years following Love Coma, he would correct this situation by joining a very successful western swing band who have managed to play the Grand Old Opry numerous times, not to mention countless music festivals around the world. No more worries about playing that straight beat anymore... Tongue

Interesting anecdote...wow, I never would have suspected. I saw Love Coma tour on this album and that show was what prompted me to actually buy the album. I don't recall if they played "She Was", but I don't remember Chris Dodds screwing anything up. I always thought he was a great drummer. At first the whole "no concept of a straight forward beat" thing didn't make sense to me but when I consider how he normally drums, I guess I can see it.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Kit: 02-17-2008 20:33.

02-17-2008 20:31 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Homepage of Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

Chris was a great drummer, he just had a mental block on this beat.

Kick-snare-kick-snare-kick-snare.......it was kinda weird..... Wink
02-18-2008 00:01 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
nick nick is a male
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 12-02-2004

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I love L of F! I only have it on tape though!!!! I was in an email conversation with Chris Taylor a few years ago (who is very nice) and I asked him about buying the Love Coma CDs and he said sure he could send CDRs of them and I said cool. He then said for a little more he would send a bunch of demos and live stuff and unreleased stuff which was really cool but he never ended up sending me the L.C. stuff but a TON of the other! Some of it was live with the good doctor playing with him; very nice stuff! But I wish I had the Love Coma stuff on CD.....Some day.

Did Love Coma ever open for the Lost Dogs? I think I saw them once here in Michigan opening for the Dogs or maybe it was the 77s.....I remember seeing both at the same place. I saw the Dogs for the GRS tour there and I think it must have been for T.T.B. tour for the 77s and Dave L. was also there. I am pretty sure that Love Coma was there for one of them and I remember just being blown away by them and promised I would buy there stuff when I got home because I needed to spend all the money I had on other stuff there....ya know I think it was the 77s because I think that was when I got the 123 boxset....confusing times and it is all getting jumbled in my head!!! Of course I was not true to my word and never bought them until recently I have their first on CD but only tape of L of Fools.
Good times
02-18-2008 13:02 nick is offline Send an Email to nick Search for Posts by nick Add nick to your Buddy List
Kit Kit is a male
Flower in the Sand

Thread Starter Thread Started by Kit
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I just can't handle how much I dig this song.

06-20-2009 17:42 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Homepage of Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » "She Was" by Love Coma

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH