77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » Concert Reviews & Photos » Mike and Mark 8/1/08 » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Mike and Mark 8/1/08
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Gur Gur is a male
Mezzo

Registration Date: 01-14-2008
Location: And into this chasm God would let a million Jacob Bayers float down like sparkling dust on a dry wind.

Mike and Mark 8/1/08 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

My wife and I chose another music festival over Cornerstone this year.
Much of our decision-making was based on HGB. "The 77s have a great new album coming out; they will certainly tour the west coast, and we will see them then." That west coast tour never happened, and I was afraid that we would not get to hear the excellent new material live this year. G d bless Linda for posting the details of the Sacramento concert!

Mike and Mark played largely an acoustic set on the second night of the l'abri conference in Sacramento. It was mostly songs from HGB, and they sounded great live. The set list was

I'll Remember You, Love, in My Prayers
What Would You Give in Exchange for Your Soul
Stranger Won't You Change Your Sinful Ways
HGB
City of Refuge (Mike picked up his electric for this one!)
Keep Your Lamps Trimmed/Nobody's Fault
Men are so busy (Hillman)
The Lust etc
Do It For Love

The musicianship, vocals, and harmonies were outstanding, and it was such a treat to hear the new material live. Mike introduced most of the songs, crediting Blind Willie, Steve Scott, Flatt and Scruggs, Rev Davis, and the Grateful Dead. He shared that the old songs used to bug him and make him feel nervous, that they do so even more now as he knows what they mean. When he introduced "Lust," he shared that it was not meant to be a song but only anger management. He was really frustrated about a number of things, so he picked up and pad and pencil and began to vent. I wish my venting sounded like that.

The next day, in between workshops and seminars, they played the tape of the concert again and again. There is little better than the lectures of Dick Keyes and Jerram Barrs mixed with the music of the 77s!
08-03-2008 15:56 Gur is offline Send an Email to Gur Search for Posts by Gur Add Gur to your Buddy List
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Registration Date: 06-01-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning with Land in Sight

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Can we get a review of the lectures down in the Devotions and Discussion forum?

08-03-2008 18:04 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
Gur Gur is a male
Mezzo

Location: And into this chasm God would let a million Jacob Bayers float down like sparkling dust on a dry wind.

Thread Starter Thread Started by Gur
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yes, I'll try.

I could also send you a couple of CDs on Barrs teachings on evangelism
(using Christ's scandalous outreach to Zaccheus as a model) and "Echoes of Eden" (glimpses of G d in literature and the arts).
08-03-2008 18:13 Gur is offline Send an Email to Gur Search for Posts by Gur Add Gur to your Buddy List
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Registration Date: 06-01-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning with Land in Sight

quote:
Originally posted by Gur
Yes, I'll try.

I could also send you a couple of CDs on Barrs teachings on evangelism
(using Christ's scandalous outreach to Zaccheus as a model) and "Echoes of Eden" (glimpses of G d in literature and the arts).

Smile

Let me know how you want to go about that.

08-03-2008 18:18 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
Gur Gur is a male
Mezzo

Thread Starter Thread Started by Gur

I'll probably use them for the next two weeks. Then I can mail them to you to use for awhile. You'll have to remind me.
08-03-2008 18:20 Gur is offline Send an Email to Gur Search for Posts by Gur Add Gur to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » Concert Reviews & Photos » Mike and Mark 8/1/08

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH