77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » Question about Sticks and Stones » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Question about Sticks and Stones
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Kit Kit is a male
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-587.jpg

Registration Date: 06-02-2004

Question about Sticks and Stones Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

OK, so I know Sticks and Stones is basically a collection of demos recorded throughout the 80s. But I am curious as to which year each song was recorded (if anyone actually knows or remembers)?

mt
nowhere else
this is the way love is
perfect blues
don't, this way
you walked in the room (1986?)
the days to come
the loop (1985?)
god sends quails (1988?)
love without dreams

03-12-2006 06:46 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Homepage of Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
VeeDub VeeDub is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 05-06-2005

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I think they all fall between 1985-88, maybe '89, recording-wise. MT (Harmon=bass) and Perfect Blues are probably 2 of the newest, circa 1988. Since Love W/O Dreams is referred to as Tootle's "farewell," that's also '88. Days To Come is "early," probably '85. I'm just interpreting Mike's notes where no specific year is given.
03-12-2006 10:35 VeeDub is offline Send an Email to VeeDub Search for Posts by VeeDub Add VeeDub to your Buddy List
Nekkid Prey Nekkid Prey is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-213.jpg

Registration Date: 06-06-2004
Favorite 77s album: Sticks and Stones

Why Not Use the Demos? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

In the S&S liner notes, Doc Love always seemed to say that the demos of the "Lost Island Treasures" were superior to the tracks they cut in the studio for their 1987 s/t effort. (I'm inclined to agree.)

Why not use the demos for the actual release? Was it simply due to legalities, i.e., the only songs allowed to make the LP had to be cut in the studio during the time allotted and paid for by the record company?

Speaking of which, do the Sevens own the rights to all their music now?

03-12-2006 13:52 Nekkid Prey is offline Send an Email to Nekkid Prey Homepage of Nekkid Prey Search for Posts by Nekkid Prey Add Nekkid Prey to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Nekkid Prey: Nekkid Prey YIM Account Name of Nekkid Prey: mike_beidler
VeeDub VeeDub is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 05-06-2005

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I think what you say about making use of studio time with the producer may be true. It's probably true of any band, though, that when you've massaged tunes to death, the time with that producer is the opportunity to "perfect" them. Instead, they sometimes get polished a little too much, and only in hindsight do you realize that a demo somewhere along the way was the best rendition.
03-12-2006 15:24 VeeDub is offline Send an Email to VeeDub Search for Posts by VeeDub Add VeeDub to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » Question about Sticks and Stones

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH