77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » Concert Reviews & Photos » Bill Mallonee in concert » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Bill Mallonee in concert
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Kit Kit is a male
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-587.jpg

Registration Date: 06-02-2004

Bill Mallonee in concert Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Bill Mallonee (formerly of Vigilantes of Love)
Sam's Place
Longview, TX
February 4, 2005

A friend of mine helps book acts for a little club in Longview, TX called Sam's Place. He informed me that the ex-lead singer of a band called Vigilantes of Love was playing. I was always a semi-big fan of the band so I figured that since I was planning on visiting him anyways, we may as well swing by and watch. At least I could get an autograph or something.

The first opening act was Jeremy Bailey, who played your typical run-of-the-mill predictable CCMish worship/pop. The guy strummed his acoustic guitar to pre-recorded tracks with archaic drum and keyboard flourishes created for his performance. Trouble is, he had a hard time staying on beat with the tracks. But to his credit - I was informed he had never heard them before until the performance. He played 2 songs. A little more impressive was second act, Rebecca Friedlander. She played keys in a style not unlike Tori Amos. Lyrics were worshipful in a way that would bring to mind Rebecca St. James, with more moments of introspection than said artist. A pretty pitch perfect voice. You may possibly hear more of her in the future if she can escape the clutches of the small town music abyss of Longview, TX and get noticed.

Finally, Bill Mallonee, the headliner comes up, complete with harmonica, guitar, and quite a bit to say - much to the chagrin of folks in the audience, who obviously aren't used to the more unconventional artist. Bill tore through a selection of songs from his 2 solo records, Perfumed Letter and Dear Life in addition to several other songs from the V.O.L. catalogue. Bill effortlessly tortures both his guitar strings and plays the harmonica at the same time - which is something you don't see often. His Dylan-esque lyrics and socio-political commentary were either not embraced very well or just flat out misunderstood given his college-professor like intellect. But I think the main thing that disturbed some audience members was his use of "inappropriate" words. This was most evident when Bill started playing one of his more quiet numbers, not to mention one that was about what he considered to be serious subject matter. There were scattered groups of people, particularly those at the foosball table in the corner of the room, that were consistently loud throughout the set. As Bill introduced the song, he said something along the lines of "This is a gentler number so if I could have some silence that would be f***ing great." He didn't actually say the f-bomb but he mouthed it. Anyways, the few fans that were actually there in the room, including myself, were quite impressed by the intimate and revealing performance. Others, not so much. It should be noted that Bill does not usually do these types of venues. However, it's a shame that disrespect for an artist while performing is considered to be less offensive than a naughty word.

02-07-2005 20:52 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Homepage of Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
phreak phreak is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

Registration Date: 08-02-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning With Land In Sight

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

bill is truly a gentleman and a scholar... and definitely WAY overlooked - a consummate artist.

~ ffphreeack!! ~

Christianity 101: love God; love others

02-08-2005 08:42 phreak is offline Send an Email to phreak Search for Posts by phreak Add phreak to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of phreak: doug77@mac.com
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Registration Date: 06-01-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning with Land in Sight

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

You have to find your threshhold for such things reading Solzhenitsyn as well.

02-08-2005 15:08 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
.evangeline. .evangeline. is a female
Radioactive Hatchling

Registration Date: 06-05-2004

i can't recall Alexander ever mentioning foosball?

"...the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force."
02-08-2005 17:57 .evangeline. is offline Send an Email to .evangeline. Search for Posts by .evangeline. Add .evangeline. to your Buddy List
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Registration Date: 06-01-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning with Land in Sight

quote:
Originally posted by .evangeline.
i can't recall Alexander ever mentioning foosball?

Well, no, but he's used a word or two in his time that would make Grandma blush.

02-09-2005 04:25 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
rebecca
Someone New

Registration Date: 10-07-2005

RE: Bill Mallonee in concert Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hey,
I was browsing the net and came upon my name in your site. This is Rebecca Friedlander who opened for Bill Mallonee in Longview, TX. I found your review and am planning to quote it on my web site (if you have any objection to this, please let me know). I work at a local studio and produce, engineer, write music and answer phones... Anyway, I just released my new project and was wondering if there was anyone from the 77s who would be willing to critique it for me. Honest appraisal please. I like to have divers opinions.
If you would, drop me a line. My web site is www.rebeccafriedlander.com.
Thanks!
In His Grip,
Rebecca

10-07-2005 14:54 rebecca is offline Send an Email to rebecca Homepage of rebecca Search for Posts by rebecca Add rebecca to your Buddy List
Kit Kit is a male
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-587.jpg

Registration Date: 06-02-2004

Thread Starter Thread Started by Kit
RE: Bill Mallonee in concert Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by rebecca
Hey,
I was browsing the net and came upon my name in your site. This is Rebecca Friedlander who opened for Bill Mallonee in Longview, TX. I found your review and am planning to quote it on my web site (if you have any objection to this, please let me know).

Hi Rebecca. I don't mind.

By the way, if you want a good place to promote yourself, you should try the below site. It's a Christian music based site that gets a lot of traffic.

http://forum.cmcentral.com/

- Kit (Not affiliated with The 77s. Just a fan.)

This post has been edited 6 time(s), it was last edited by Kit: 10-09-2005 19:09.

10-09-2005 18:51 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Homepage of Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » Concert Reviews & Photos » Bill Mallonee in concert

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH