77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » Phantom Tollbooth Article - No More Christian Rock Bands » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Phantom Tollbooth Article - No More Christian Rock Bands
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Mark Mark is a male
Unbalanced

images/avatars/avatar-373.jpg

Registration Date: 05-30-2004
Favorite 77s album: Island Album

Phantom Tollbooth Article - No More Christian Rock Bands Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I just read this at the Phantom Tollbooth. Mike Roe and the Lost Dogs are mentioned among others.

No More Christian Rock Bands
By Chris MacIntosh aka Grandfather Rock
CS Lewis was once quoted as saying something to the effect: "The world doesn't need anymore Christian books, they need more great books written by Christians" Recently I found out that one of my favorite groups, Infradig, is disbanding. Lately I find myself listening often to music by Tickle Penny Corner, another band that is no longer active. To say that Beth Spransy had a voice touched by heaven is a complete understatement. I miss them as I am sure a year from now I will be moaning about no more new music from Infradig. Two totally different bands with vastly different sounds, yet both were committed to excellence in their craft. To paraphrase Mr. Lewis, "The world doesn't need any more Christian rock bands, we are in need of Christians creating great rock, etc., music.

The amount of music that is being produced by artists who hold to a Christian worldview is nothing short of astounding in its scope and quality. Now, I'm not talking about artists connected to what is commonly called the CCM industry and are pushing a specific agenda. I am referring to musicians who create music for the love of music and
for the sheer joy of creation. Artists who are out on the road because they are exhilarated by sharing their creation with those who will listen. In the last year two major CCM bands have can celled dates in the Long Island area because they were not going to receive their full honorarium. The concerts were benefit gigs put on by local Korean & Indian churches to support clean water projects. In both cases the bands canceled two days before the scheduled shows because they weren't going to get their 60 to 80 thousand dollar fee for coming in. The world doesn't need any more Christian rock bands!

Last October I took the ride over to New Jersey to see the Roe vs Pritzl Round 2 tour. They played in a small church auditorium for about 50 people and put on one of the best shows that I have seen in many a year. Over the many years that I have seen either of these artists in any configuration, I have never been disappointed and I know for a fact that this tour was not the best financial thing either of them has ever embarked upon. Gee, maybe if they charged tens of thousands of dollars they might be better off. They don't, yet their passion for their craft remains as strong as ever.

As I sit writing this piece the Cornerstone Festival draws nearer. I look at the schedule for the artists appearing on the Gallery Stage and my heart skips with joy at the knowledge of the great music I will be enjoying in a few weeks. Folks like Tess Wiley, Erick Brandt, Roe vs Pritzl, Ric Hordinski, Over The Rhine, Leigh Nash, Lost Dogs
and of course Jeff Elbel & Ping. Is there actually a reason to visit any other stage?

I have been listening to music for over fifty years now, rock, jazz, country, classical almost any genre you can think of. I find that the older I get the more passionate for good music I become. My first concert experience was the Dave Clark 5 back in 1964, that's 44 years ago and I have no desire to stop any time soon. When I think of some
of the artists I have seen in just the last 2 years, acts like Proto-Kaw, Sarah Lentz, Chris Hillman, Bruce Cockburn, Charlie Daniels, 77's. I am content that the future of great music is in good and capable hands. There is just so much stuff out there that my head swims just contemplating it all. Again I would say, the world doesn't need anymore Christian rock bands, we are though in need of believers in Christ creating great art.

06-05-2007 17:57 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-446.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2004

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

mark... this is a fantastic article. thanks for posting it.

06-11-2007 20:12 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Homepage of larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of larryl: nashvillelarryl YIM Account Name of larryl: larryl922
77sfan 77sfan is a male

images/avatars/avatar-231.jpg

Registration Date: 06-08-2007
Favorite 77s album: The Island Album

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I too read that article and enjoyed it.

~Saint Augustine~
06-11-2007 20:17 77sfan is offline Search for Posts by 77sfan Add 77sfan to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of 77sfan: gj100xtra
herringostarr herringostarr is a male
Praying Naked

images/avatars/avatar-420.jpg

Registration Date: 09-03-2005

RE: Phantom Tollbooth Article - No More Christian Rock Bands Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Mark
Again I would say, the world doesn't need anymore Christian rock bands, we are though in need of believers in Christ creating great art.

AMEN TO THAT!

06-11-2007 20:55 herringostarr is offline Send an Email to herringostarr Search for Posts by herringostarr Add herringostarr to your Buddy List
Ping Pong Over the Abyss Ping Pong Over the Abyss is a male
Unbalanced

images/avatars/avatar-202.gif

Registration Date: 02-21-2006
Favorite 77s album: Too Many...!

Thanks for posting that, Mark. A breath of fresh air. Cool

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ping Pong Over the Abyss: 06-27-2007 05:05.

06-27-2007 05:05 Ping Pong Over the Abyss is offline Send an Email to Ping Pong Over the Abyss Search for Posts by Ping Pong Over the Abyss Add Ping Pong Over the Abyss to your Buddy List
bkratzer bkratzer is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 07-02-2007
Favorite 77s album: sticks and stones

RE: Phantom Tollbooth Article - No More Christian Rock Bands Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Mark,
Agree to some extent. After returning from C'stone, I have resolved to pray hard for these artists. I understand there must be tremendous pressure on them NOT to conform to the world. I agree that Roe, Pritzl, Peacock consistently manage to reflect a tremendous amount of humility and Truth in their performances, but would suggest that the "industry", in general, is at risk. Perhaps that is my answer. It absolutely is an industy, or business, and the financial opportunity is a lot bigger than in the early days. Its a new game, so bands are very careful not to be pigeon-holed as a Jesus band. Interesting topic.

07-02-2007 14:08 bkratzer is offline Send an Email to bkratzer Search for Posts by bkratzer Add bkratzer to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » Phantom Tollbooth Article - No More Christian Rock Bands

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH