77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » Queen Comparison » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Queen Comparison
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
jason
Someone New

Registration Date: 06-03-2004

Queen Comparison Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I picked up a Queen album recently, Queen Rocks Montreal. It's a live album. One of the tracks is "Guitar Solo" - doesn't really have a name I guess. Anyway, about at the 3 minute mark, the guitar playing sounds really similar to the opening of Nuts For You. Since the track is called "Guitar Solo," I don't know if he's playing any particular music piece or if he's just playing.

So I was wondering if Nuts for You was inspired by Queen. Or if it's just a particular playing style that I'm not familiar with and the similarities are coincidental. Or none of the above?

Anybody else able to hear the connection?
07-07-2011 06:06 jason is offline Send an Email to jason Search for Posts by jason Add jason to your Buddy List
brave sir robin
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 11-05-2008

One tin soldier Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

How about this, just last night I was watching "Billy Jack" (OMG hopelessly outdated and incredibly incoherent in its messages). I thought the beginning of "One Tin Soldier" sounded quite a bit like "the Lust"
07-07-2011 06:27 brave sir robin is offline Send an Email to brave sir robin Search for Posts by brave sir robin Add brave sir robin to your Buddy List
Dar77 Dar77 is a male
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 11-02-2011
Favorite 77s album: Pray Naked

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Mike had mentioned that the beginning of "The Lust" was ermm.."borrowed" from Barry McGuire's Eve of Destruction.

As far as Queen's influence on the 77s, I've not heard that before, but would not be surprised. So much variety to the Sevens, especially in concert, that it is hard to imagine anything that Mr. Roe and Company could not incorporate (and improve upon) into their sound.

Dar

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on others lives" - Inscribed on Jackie Robinson's tombstone.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Dar77: 11-08-2011 14:44.

11-08-2011 14:43 Dar77 is offline Send an Email to Dar77 Homepage of Dar77 Search for Posts by Dar77 Add Dar77 to your Buddy List
Ping Pong Over the Abyss Ping Pong Over the Abyss is a male
Unbalanced

images/avatars/avatar-202.gif

Registration Date: 02-21-2006
Favorite 77s album: Too Many...!

RE: One tin soldier Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by brave sir robin
How about this, just last night I was watching "Billy Jack" (OMG hopelessly outdated and incredibly incoherent in its messages). I thought the beginning of "One Tin Soldier" sounded quite a bit like "the Lust"

"Brave," why do you always have to be such a jackwagon? Roll Eyes Your sarcastic barbs are unwarranted. If you actually took up the poster on his point, you would realize he has a valid point. There IS a bonfide similarity between the sounds of the songs.

11-09-2011 17:41 Ping Pong Over the Abyss is offline Send an Email to Ping Pong Over the Abyss Search for Posts by Ping Pong Over the Abyss Add Ping Pong Over the Abyss to your Buddy List
Unbalanced

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Dar77
Mike had mentioned that the beginning of "The Lust" was ermm.."borrowed" from Barry McGuire's Eve of Destruction.

As far as Queen's influence on the 77s, I've not heard that before, but would not be surprised. So much variety to the Sevens, especially in concert, that it is hard to imagine anything that Mr. Roe and Company could not incorporate (and improve upon) into their sound.

Dar

Well put, sir. Cool

11-09-2011 17:43 Ping Pong Over the Abyss is offline Send an Email to Ping Pong Over the Abyss Search for Posts by Ping Pong Over the Abyss Add Ping Pong Over the Abyss to your Buddy List
brave sir robin
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 11-05-2008

RE: One tin soldier Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Ping Pong Over the Abyss
quote:
Originally posted by brave sir robin

"Brave," why do you always have to be such a jackwagon? Roll Eyes Your sarcastic barbs are unwarranted. If you actually took up the poster on his point, you would realize he has a valid point. There IS a bonfide similarity between the sounds of the songs.

I honestly have no clue what you are talking about here
11-14-2011 08:09 brave sir robin is offline Send an Email to brave sir robin Search for Posts by brave sir robin Add brave sir robin to your Buddy List
Unbalanced

Sorry for misreading your post, Robin...with the acerbic nature of some of your prior posts, I misread your intent.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Ping Pong Over the Abyss: 11-14-2011 17:46.

11-14-2011 16:42 Ping Pong Over the Abyss is offline Send an Email to Ping Pong Over the Abyss Search for Posts by Ping Pong Over the Abyss Add Ping Pong Over the Abyss to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-188.jpg

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Location: "i find your lack of faith disturbing.."- darth vader

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

i didn't detect any sarcasm in it and believe me i know sarcasm...Big Grin

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

facebook
11-14-2011 21:59 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005
jason
Someone New

Registration Date: 06-03-2004

Thread Starter Thread Started by jason

It's interesting to hear the other comparisons like Eve of Destruction. I'm not hearing it on One Tin Soldier. But I'm not good at picking out audio similarities unless it is very similar.
11-15-2011 06:07 jason is offline Send an Email to jason Search for Posts by jason Add jason to your Buddy List
Unbalanced

quote:
Originally posted by Joey T.

PRIOR posts, dude. Robin the Chicken-Hearted's had plenty of 'em before... Tongue

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ping Pong Over the Abyss: 11-15-2011 17:45.

11-15-2011 17:45 Ping Pong Over the Abyss is offline Send an Email to Ping Pong Over the Abyss Search for Posts by Ping Pong Over the Abyss Add Ping Pong Over the Abyss to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Mezzo

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Ping Pong Over the Abyss
quote:
Originally posted by Joey T.

PRIOR posts, dude. Robin the Chicken-Hearted's had plenty of 'em before... Tongue

so have i! Tongue
but that doesn't make everything i post sarcastic... Wink

facebook
11-15-2011 19:56 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005
Ron E Ron E is a male
Drowning with Land in Sight

images/avatars/avatar-294.gif

Registration Date: 05-19-2005
Favorite 77s album: Sticks and Stones

Stop it Joey! Your sarcasm is ruining this thread!

11-16-2011 19:33 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Mezzo

quote:
Originally posted by Ron E
Stop it Joey! Your sarcasm is ruining this thread!

Pleased

facebook
11-16-2011 20:46 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005
Ron E Ron E is a male
Drowning with Land in Sight

images/avatars/avatar-294.gif

Registration Date: 05-19-2005
Favorite 77s album: Sticks and Stones

I like that no winking emoticon or other note was needed.

11-18-2011 08:51 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » Queen Comparison

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH