77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » CD & DVD Reviews » Turntable.fm reactions » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Turntable.fm reactions
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Kit Kit is a male
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-587.jpg

Registration Date: 06-02-2004

Turntable.fm reactions Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I go in this room called "Folk/Bluegrass/AltCountry/Etc" on occasion. For about an hour, we were playing just covers. These are two Roe related covers I chose. The room was kind of slow at the time but it picked up later in the day to where there were 30 or so people in there...

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Kit: 08-27-2011 23:04.

08-27-2011 23:03 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Homepage of Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

RE: Turntable.fm reactions Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Never heard of that. What is it?
08-28-2011 20:58 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
Kit Kit is a male
Flower in the Sand

Thread Starter Thread Started by Kit
RE: Turntable.fm reactions Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

It started getting a lot of traction a few months ago, and Lady Gaga and Kanye West both recently made big investments in it.

Turntable.fm is a web site you can log into using your Facebook login ID (or apparently Twitter as well). It's just a giant network of listening rooms (public and private) created by users where people can DJ for an audience. Most rooms are going to have 2 to 5 DJ seats. Turntable rotates between each seat, and while you are in a seat, you play whatever song you have queued up. Once it finishes, it moves on to the next person. Of course, if your song gets enough "lame" votes, it gets skipped, and then you don't play another one until after it rotates back to you. Once someone steps down from their seat, someone else can step up (some rooms have rules though where there is some kind of DJ list you have to get on). There is a vast database of songs that I think are all ASCAP (both of the aforementioned songs are in it). You just search a song in that database, and you can add it to your queue...or you can upload something as well from your computer. I imagine there's copyright issues with uploading someone else's song though. Not really sure how they are policing that. Also, you can't play a certain amount of songs from one artist all in a row. A friend of mine and I found that out when we tried to play a bunch of songs from The Clash and turntable auto-skipped after the 2nd one I think. Some artists have already used it to have listening parties for new material (Guster being the only one I know of).

Anyways, it's kind of fun sometimes and I was addicted to it for a while. I still do it, but not as much as I was a month ago.

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by Kit: 08-28-2011 22:19.

08-28-2011 22:10 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Homepage of Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
Kit Kit is a male
Flower in the Sand

Thread Starter Thread Started by Kit
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

in there again...

http://turntable.fm/folkbluegrassaltcountryetc2

Was thinking of playing Honey Run

08-29-2011 11:36 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Homepage of Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » CD & DVD Reviews » Turntable.fm reactions

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH