77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » Question about song "Holy Dreamer" » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Question about song "Holy Dreamer"
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Carl Salad
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 08-27-2008

Question about song "Holy Dreamer" Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I just downloaded a killer 77's bootleg on Dimeadozen.org (if you torrent, check it out). In a show from 1985, they do a song called "Holy Dreamer," which Mike introduces by saying, "We dedicate this to those of you from the South. This was inspired by one of our favorite bands."

I asked, and someone on dimeadozen said that they were referring to REM.

Does anyone know anything about this song? Was it ever recorded? Lyrics? What specifically is the connection to REM?
10-04-2008 23:35 Carl Salad is offline Send an Email to Carl Salad Search for Posts by Carl Salad Add Carl Salad to your Buddy List
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

RE: Question about song "Holy Dreamer" Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

That song is about REM and is obviously a tribute (i.e., ripoff) of their general sound and style at the time. As I recall, it was meant to be a putdown to Michael Stipe's mumbling of his lyrics in order to appear heavy and mystical, which of course was not true at all.

Not sure why I would write a putdown of one of my favorite bands and writers at the time -- jealousy, I guess. It wasn't that great of a song anyway. We played it a few times live but never recorded it. I think the version on this bootleg is probably the best time we played it.

Doctor Love has attached this image:
earlyREM.jpg

10-05-2008 00:05 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
Carl Salad
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 08-27-2008

Thread Starter Thread Started by Carl Salad
RE: Question about song "Holy Dreamer" Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

That explains why I had a devil of a time transcribing the lyrics. But I really dig the song. The chorus has a nice hook.

I got to see REM at Red Rocks a couple of months ago. It was a great show. Their new album is killer. But, of course, I'd rather see the Sevens at Red Rocks.
10-05-2008 08:47 Carl Salad is offline Send an Email to Carl Salad Search for Posts by Carl Salad Add Carl Salad to your Buddy List
killmikelove killmikelove is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-259.jpg

Registration Date: 08-01-2006
Favorite 77s album: tom tom blues

quote:
Originally posted by Carl Salad
That explains why I had a devil of a time transcribing the lyrics. But I really dig the song. The chorus has a nice hook.

I got to see REM at Red Rocks a couple of months ago. It was a great show. Their new album is killer. But, of course, I'd rather see the Sevens at Red Rocks.

If I remember right when Mike and I were compiling the 2 fan club eps we were trying to get a version of Holy Dreamer on the cd, but the quality just didn't hold up. If it's the Ichtus performance on dvd you've heard, that one's pretty good. I have that performace and that's a pretty good show for that era.

It's a good song, would have been interesting had it gone the studio route at some point.
10-05-2008 14:43 killmikelove is offline Send an Email to killmikelove Search for Posts by killmikelove Add killmikelove to your Buddy List
MefLiszto MefLiszto is a male
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 06-14-2004

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I still have the audio bootleg of the Ichthus show from '85, and Holy Dreamer sounds pretty clear, except for a couple of small mumbles by Mike. I'll eventually get around to digitizing it. I thought Dave Leonhardt wrote the song. I still owe him a copy of this recording.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by MefLiszto: 10-06-2008 15:39.

10-06-2008 15:38 MefLiszto is offline Send an Email to MefLiszto Search for Posts by MefLiszto Add MefLiszto to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of MefLiszto: MefLiszto YIM Account Name of MefLiszto: Feykdrulez
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

Dave's bit Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

That's right, David did have something to do with this song. We wrote it together, although I don't remember what hand he had in it.

There is another live version of the tune from some festival in Puyallup, Washington that same year (1985) which is real good also.

Doctor Love has attached this image (reduced version):
logjam!.jpg

10-07-2008 10:18 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » Question about song "Holy Dreamer"

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH