77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » Interview to read » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Interview to read 2 Votes - Average Rating: 1.002 Votes - Average Rating: 1.002 Votes - Average Rating: 1.002 Votes - Average Rating: 1.002 Votes - Average Rating: 1.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
nick nick is a male
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 12-02-2004

Interview to read Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

You have got to check out this interview with Mike Love! It is so weird and waked! I was wondering where Mike Roe got Dr. Love....now I know Smile
http://www.geocities.com/thelittlepad/mikelove.html
08-14-2007 11:21 nick is offline Send an Email to nick Search for Posts by nick Add nick to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-446.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2004

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

mike has told his dr love story here.......and i don't think it had anything to do with mike love.

08-14-2007 11:26 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Homepage of larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of larryl: nashvillelarryl YIM Account Name of larryl: larryl922
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Favorite 77s album: Drowning with Land in Sight

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I've heard a couple different versions of the story, so more than one thing could have influenced the process--who knows?

08-14-2007 12:40 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
Nailtatt Nailtatt is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-212.jpg

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Favorite 77s album: Sticks and Stones

I voted.

08-14-2007 12:53 Nailtatt is offline Send an Email to Nailtatt Search for Posts by Nailtatt Add Nailtatt to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Nailtatt
larryl larryl is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-446.jpg

it was something about a smart alec-y answering machine message, best i can recall

08-14-2007 13:05 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Homepage of larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of larryl: nashvillelarryl YIM Account Name of larryl: larryl922
Nailtatt Nailtatt is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-212.jpg

Registration Date: 05-28-2004

Either way - I voted.

08-14-2007 14:01 Nailtatt is offline Send an Email to Nailtatt Search for Posts by Nailtatt Add Nailtatt to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Nailtatt
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Favorite 77s album: Drowning with Land in Sight

It took a bit of digging, but.... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Mike Roe Trivia

Doctor said:

------------------------------------------------------------------

If Tony Shore can be called 'doctor', then etc.....

This thread has brought me to ponder how everyone here so quickly and easily accepted one of the most ridiculous moniker/nicknames ever. A bit of history is in order.

I honestly cannot remember how or why the name got started, but part of it had to do with being obsessed with the KISS song "Calling Doctor Love", having not heard it in at least a coupla decades. For some strange reason, I thought that it was an Al Green song -- can you believe that? This is probably why I allowed it to stick so hard, thinking I had aligned myself with a 'soul king' rather than the kings of 'bubble metal' Shocked I also heard Mike Love of The Beach Boys refer to himself this way in an inverview when he was trying to justify deserving the $5,000,000 he weasled out of Brian Wilson for songwriting collaboration back-royalties. It's easy to hate Mike, but for some reason when I heard him call himself "Doctor Love", I suddenly liked him -- don't ask me why.

I also think I was trying to piss off some girlfriend who was putting me down a lot, and calling myself "Doctor Love" made her even more angry. I decided to create a phone message on my answering machine with the name, just to try it out on unsuspecting callers. It had an immediately polarizing effect, especially with women, most of whom absolutely hated it. I knew I had a winner then

It all became official in my mind when my Dad left me a phone message calling me "Doctor Love". The rest is history.

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by Marti: 08-14-2007 15:55.

08-14-2007 15:29 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
nick nick is a male
Baby Elvis

Thread Starter Thread Started by nick

Yea....I was kidding! I really didn't think Mike got Dr. Love from this......My "guess" is that Mike is a Brian fan mostly. I, for one, am and it makes me ill about all the family issues revolving around that family who are sooooo talented (some more than others).
08-15-2007 05:43 nick is offline Send an Email to nick Search for Posts by nick Add nick to your Buddy List
drshore drshore is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 09-11-2007

RE: It took a bit of digging, but.... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hey! I am a doctor! :-) Honorary, and because I was a radio DJ, but hey...I'll still never be as legit as you Dr. Love! Hope to see you soon.

dr. tony shore
09-11-2007 13:40 drshore is offline Send an Email to drshore Homepage of drshore Search for Posts by drshore Add drshore to your Buddy List
nick nick is a male
Baby Elvis

Thread Starter Thread Started by nick

I didn't think but this

"I also heard Mike Love of The Beach Boys refer to himself this way in an inverview when he was trying to justify deserving the $5,000,000 he weasled out of Brian Wilson for songwriting collaboration back-royalties. It's easy to hate Mike, but for some reason when I heard him call himself "Doctor Love", I suddenly liked him -- don't ask me why."

is very funny as I had no idea I just happened to read it and found Mike Love's ranting humorous.....very funny that this could be the interview that helped bring about the name...very funny.
09-14-2007 06:41 nick is offline Send an Email to nick Search for Posts by nick Add nick to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » Interview to read

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH