77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » CD & DVD Reviews » "You Walked in the Room" Reviews by non77s fans » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page "You Walked in the Room" Reviews by non77s fans 2 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Kit Kit is a male
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-587.jpg

Registration Date: 06-02-2004

"You Walked in the Room" Reviews by non77s fans Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I did a mix exchange with a bunch of folks on another board. Here are their opinions on "You Walked in the Room," which is The 77s song I chose.

1 "This sounds a little dated. the vocals remind me someone else. i can't place it. this is decent. uh, okay, i get it... "you walked in the room." okay..."

2 "Wow, this sounds like something Julian Cope should have recorded. Very nice even if a touch on the long side. 4/5"

3 "Sounds a bit like Echo & The Bunnymen. This is decent. 3/5"

4 "Bingo, we have a winner. This is really growing on me. A nice little song. It does sound a bit like Echo & The Bunnymen. Very nice. 7/10"

5 "I like this song, but it doesn't feel like it fits with the other songs so far. I looked up these guys on allmusic-- this is a Christian rock band? 3/5"

6 "The levels are way low and the production is VERY dated to the mid/late-'80s, but the song itself ain't bad. More than a little reminiscent of Midnight Oil, at least to my ears."

7 "Levels are too low which kills it for me when listening to this mix. Standalone - I like it. 3/5"

I think I'd try a newer 77s song next time around. I knew some folks would dig it while others would get irritated by the production. But some of these people put stuff on their mixes that were far worse production wise so....

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Kit: 06-24-2006 07:51.

06-23-2006 20:14 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Homepage of Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
pelagius42 pelagius42 is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-150.jpg

Registration Date: 05-05-2006
Favorite 77s album: 88

RE: "You Walked in the Room" Reviews by non77s fans Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Kit

"--this is a Christian rock band? "

This tends to be close to the response i get when playing people 77's stuff. i like destroying illusions and preconceived notions...
06-24-2006 04:51 pelagius42 is offline Send an Email to pelagius42 Homepage of pelagius42 Search for Posts by pelagius42 Add pelagius42 to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of pelagius42: pelagius42 YIM Account Name of pelagius42: pelagius42 View the MSN Profile for pelagius42
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

Christian Rock Band Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

We have never called ourselves that.

"You Walked In The Room"? Great in it's day, but that was 1986 for cryin' out loud, and we actually worked it up in 1984!

Please......try something more contemporary. "Unbalanced" wouldn't be a bad place to start. Something from "Direct" -- 'Dig My Heels' or 'Take Your Mind Off It'. Those are actually ten year old ideas too, though....

"Perfect Blues" from Sticks & Stones never fails to get a reaction. Try "Rise" or "Begin" from Crows for something way left of center to most of what those guys are posting, or maybe even "Stella" from Safe As Milk or "Thank You For Your Dreams" from Fun With Sound.

OH WAIT!! "Self Made Trap", "Nuts For You", "Pray Naked" or "Woody" from Pray Naked. Those are always good. Oh yeh, and "Flowers In The Sand" from TTB, or even "Outskirts".

Now you can see what would be on our "Greastest Hits" album if I was the one choosing the cuts! Pleased

quote:
Originally posted by pelagius42
quote:
Originally posted by Kit

"--this is a Christian rock band? "

This tends to be close to the response i get when playing people 77's stuff. i like destroying illusions and preco

nceived notions...

Doctor Love has attached this image (reduced version):
Adrian B. & Band.jpg

06-24-2006 10:50 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
Kit Kit is a male
Flower in the Sand

Thread Starter Thread Started by Kit
RE: Christian Rock Band Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Love
We have never called ourselves that.

I know. She probably saw allmusic's description. I promptly refuted it....tactfully. Even though I wanted to vigorously scold her. Pleased

quote:
"You Walked In The Room"? Great in it's day, but that was 1986 for cryin' out loud. We actually worked it up in 1984!

Yeah...the last mix we did I used "The Years Go Down" which got ho hum reactions. So I figured I'd introduce them to something older this time. I thought the Stones-y feel of "You Walked..." would appeal to these folks. Plus, I chose it because it beared a similarity to the 16 Horsepower song ("My Narrow Mind") and Brian Jonestown Massacre song ("Servo") that preceded it in that the verses are practically interchangeable. Wink

quote:
Please......try something more contemporary.

haha..I will next time...if I even do it again...

quote:
"Unbalanced" wouldn't be a bad place to start. Something from "Direct" -- 'Dig My Heels' or 'Take Your Mind Off It'. Those are actually ten year old ideas too, though....

"Perfect Blues" from Sticks & Stones never fails to get a reaction. Try "Rise" or "Begin" from Crows for something way left of center to most of what those guys are posting, or maybe even "Stella" from Safe As Milk or "Thank You For Your Dreams" from Fun With Sound.

OH WAIT!! "Self Made Trap", "Nuts For You", "Pray Naked" or "Woody" from Pray Naked. Those are always good. Oh yeh, and "Flowers In The Sand" from TTB, or even "Outskirts".

"Take Your Mind Off It" might work for that crowd. I thought of "Perfect Blues" too but I figured one of the smartasses that hates blues would make a snide George Thorogood comparison or something. "Self Made Trap" probably would have worked better in retrospect. It almost sounds like a Radiohead song. They might have dug "Flowers in the Sand" too, but I already had too many sad songs on there...

quote:
Now you can see what would be on our "Greastest Hits" album if I was the one choosing the cuts! Pleased

What about "Look," "I Can't Get Over It," "The Jig is Up," "Sevens," "Mean Green Season," "God Sends Quails," and "Kites Without Strings" ???? c'mon man!!!!!!!!!!!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

By the way, the same guy that did review # 6 had the following to say about "The Years Go Down" and "Blue All Over" in the mix exchange from 4 or so years ago. Not that he's some important music biz guy or anything....

The 77s – “The Years Go Down”
There’s definitely a slow burn at work here, with quite a bit of the atmospherics Eric Johnson is known for (as well as even some latter-day Rush). It’s well done, although I’m not sure how often I’d listen to this. I really should embrace the thought-provoking more than I do.
RATING: 6.7 (I know, it would have been nice to give them a 7.7, right?)

Mike Roe – “Blue All Over”
When I listen to this track, I hear a contemporary version of Simon and Garfunkel, which I intend as a compliment. There’s not enough basic strumming and harmonizing out there these days, at least not done this well. I’m not always in the mood for this type of music, but it’s definitely something I would listen to when that mood did hit me.
RATING: 7.6

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Kit: 06-24-2006 23:06.

06-24-2006 22:56 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Homepage of Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
Cliff Kuiper Cliff Kuiper is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-206.jpg

Registration Date: 07-10-2006
Favorite 77s album: Depends on my mood

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'm curious: what's wrong w/ being called a Christian band? i'm not saying you (or anybody)should call yourselves that. i'm more interested in the drawbacks? is it similar to back when i had the Jesus fish on my car, then felt immediately guilty when i drove like a jerk on occasion? is it because it sets you up for a bigger fall should you screw up than a non-christian band? thanks.

07-10-2006 23:42 Cliff Kuiper is offline Send an Email to Cliff Kuiper Search for Posts by Cliff Kuiper Add Cliff Kuiper to your Buddy List
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-546.jpg

Registration Date: 09-30-2004
Favorite 77s album: Tom Tom Blues

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Kuiper
I'm curious: what's wrong w/ being called a Christian band? i'm not saying you (or anybody)should call yourselves that. i'm more interested in the drawbacks? is it similar to back when i had the Jesus fish on my car, then felt immediately guilty when i drove like a jerk on occasion? is it because it sets you up for a bigger fall should you screw up than a non-christian band? thanks.

Most "Christian" bands want their message out to the masses (unchurched, especially). When they're labeled, their message is marketed to the church & their music in pigeon-holed to the Christian bookstores.

That's my assessment of the dilemma.

07-11-2006 09:28 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
Kit Kit is a male
Flower in the Sand

Thread Starter Thread Started by Kit

I think the term "Christian band" evolved more into a marketing term. When somebody is saying they don't want to be called a Christian band, they aren't rejecting Christ, they are merely rejecting the stigma that comes with a marketing term. Tool doesn't like to be called nu-metal. NIN doesn't like to be called industrial.

07-11-2006 15:40 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Homepage of Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
mr. magoo mr. magoo is a male
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 07-10-2006
Favorite 77s album: Eighty Eight

well, thing is, if you have a band where the members are all Christians......no matter how hard you fight it, someone will call you a Christian band......it stinks because then all of a sudden you've dropped down a whole bunch of pegs in the publics eye.......and then when the real anal Christians hear this band they dismiss them as secular.......or as Mike says, "Hell Possessed"

LOL......

even Creed went through that whole thing.......Collective Soul was able to shake it really quick and U2 squashed it real fast.......but the 7's deal alot more with spirtuality and such (or struggle of spirtuality and such) than any of those bands.....I've tried to play 7's stuff for non-christian friends and I always get that ho-hum reaction......

what did Gene say? It is what it is what it is.

I wish we could change the worlds mind about our favorite bands but that's a huge battle.......

By the way I just picked up Radioactive Crows.....loved it, I will spread some tunes around to the non-believers LOL Big Grin

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by mr. magoo: 07-12-2006 12:49.

07-12-2006 12:48 mr. magoo is offline Send an Email to mr. magoo Search for Posts by mr. magoo Add mr. magoo to your Buddy List
MefLiszto MefLiszto is a male
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 06-14-2004

quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Kuiper

True story: A couple years ago I briefly dated a woman who was Bhuddist but who was raised in one of those strict fundamentalist churchs that judges everything anti-Christian that's not explicitly biblical. We used to listen to "Direct" in the car, and she liked it quite a bit. I gave her "Safe As Milk". I figured she'd love "Ache Beautiful". She went off on me the next day, accusing me of dating her just to convert her. Her friend asked me why I gave her a "Christian Rock" CD when I knew she was not a Christian. I had to explain that it's just a great CD with well-crafted songs. I didn't feel the need to justify talking about God in a song, since I knew this was a personal expression of the artist, not a propaganda maneuver. Unfortunately, most music labeled "Christian Rock" comes off as just that, and it's obvious to most people.
This is one of the reasons I continually assert that the first job of a Christian is to please God, not to evangelize. This woman was done untold damage by people who I myself can't even stand, and I was hoping to give a different, more tolerant perspective of Christians to this woman. No, I was not "missionary dating", though in retrospect it was a big mistake to be involved with her. Still, how we are is more important that what we say. If we take that to heart, what needs to be said will come out eventually, and will be more believable.

Darin

(P.S. Finally, my 77th post!)

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by MefLiszto: 07-14-2006 00:19.

07-14-2006 00:17 MefLiszto is offline Send an Email to MefLiszto Search for Posts by MefLiszto Add MefLiszto to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of MefLiszto: MefLiszto YIM Account Name of MefLiszto: Feykdrulez
77 bc 77 bc is a male
Radioactive Hatchling

images/avatars/avatar-381.gif

Registration Date: 11-17-2004
Favorite 77s album: The one's Mike plays guitar on

quote:
Originally posted by MefLiszto

This is one of the reasons I continually assert that the first job of a Christian is to please God, not to evangelize. This woman was done untold damage by people who I myself can't even stand, and I was hoping to give a different, more tolerant perspective of Christians to this woman.

(P.S. Finally, my 77th post!)

I do a pretty crappy job of trying to please God, but the older I get, the more that I tend to agree with this. I also believe that part of what is pleasing to God is telling others, which is why I believe that Jesus told us to go to all the world.

Congrats on making it well past your 77th post, btw...

Cool

i follow my heart
and it lies and it lies
and i don't understand it"

~ Roe/Harmon ~ "Woody"
09-14-2007 08:49 77 bc is offline Homepage of 77 bc Search for Posts by 77 bc Add 77 bc to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of 77 bc: forty dlux
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » CD & DVD Reviews » "You Walked in the Room" Reviews by non77s fans

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH