77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » is this really the deal? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page is this really the deal?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
larryl larryl is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-446.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2004

is this really the deal? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

this is from an e-bay description of the strawmen, at home.....doesn't sound quite right to me...

Well, here's an interesting story. Cornerstone Festival, 1988, a small independent band circulates a tape of incredible music. EVERY COPY DISAPPEARS!!!!! They sold them out! One copy got into the hands of Mike Roe, or so the story goes, & he found the band refreshing. For new musicians, they sure had talent... & then to find out that they recorded the album IN THEIR GARAGE!!!! Whoa.....

Flash Forward about a year or two... The Seventy Sevens are on the verge of a break up, they've not hit the big time like they've wanted, & at least one member does leave. Mike contacts the members of Strawmen, & the two bands merge to become the 77's newest line-up, & see's the Seven's marginally attain the attention they've desired, if only in the Christian realm. (here's hoping for bigger & better things yet to come for them!!!!)

02-21-2005 06:50 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Homepage of larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of larryl: nashvillelarryl YIM Account Name of larryl: larryl922
TJ 2.0
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-413.gif

Registration Date: 09-13-2004
Favorite 77s album: Island/Sticks and Stones/88

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Dave and Mark were in Strawmen at the time. So in at least some respects, it is correct. I'm sure Dr. can fill us in exactly on the authenticity, though.
02-21-2005 07:13 TJ 2.0 is offline Send an Email to TJ 2.0 Homepage of TJ 2.0 Search for Posts by TJ 2.0 Add TJ 2.0 to your Buddy List
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Favorite 77s album: Drowning with Land in Sight

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

That would explain a lot....we'll see if we get clarification or confirmation.

02-21-2005 10:19 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Rocks in your Head

Thread Starter Thread Started by larryl

good Doctor.....is this the way it really went down? Cool

02-27-2005 13:36 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Homepage of larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of larryl: nashvillelarryl YIM Account Name of larryl: larryl922
dennis
Happy Roy

images/avatars/avatar-487.jpg

Registration Date: 10-03-2004
Favorite 77s album: "88"

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

That's a great story, I hope it's true! Cool
02-27-2005 14:59 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

RE: is this really the deal? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Well, here's an interesting story. Cornerstone Festival, 1988, a small independent band circulates a tape of incredible music. EVERY COPY DISAPPEARS!!!!! They sold them out!

>>>>> yep

One copy got into the hands of Mike Roe, or so the story goes, & he found the band refreshing. For new musicians, they sure had talent... & then to find out that they recorded the album IN THEIR GARAGE!!!! Whoa.....

>>>> that's hilarious -- we brought those tapes to Cornerstone![I] and sold them at our own product table. Both Jimmy A. and myself were occasionally around watching them record the stuff too. It's funny how it all turns into mythology later.

Flash Forward about a year or two... The Seventy Sevens are on the verge of a break up, they've not hit the big time like they've wanted, & at least one member does leave. Mike contacts the members of Strawmen, & the two bands merge to become the 77's newest line-up

>>> Dave was our Stage Manager and my personal roadie and guitar student, as well as co-writer ("Can't Get Over It"). I put him together with Bill Harmon (another student) and Mark was eventually brought into the picture. When Jan left for Nashville to manage Peacock and Tootle dropped out, I got together with Dave and Mark and we decided to merge the remnants of both groups
02-27-2005 15:04 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
dennis
Happy Roy

images/avatars/avatar-487.jpg

Registration Date: 10-03-2004
Favorite 77s album: "88"

Thanks Doctor! Pleased
02-27-2005 15:12 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Mark Mark is a male
Unbalanced

images/avatars/avatar-373.jpg

Registration Date: 05-30-2004
Favorite 77s album: Island Album

Thanks

02-27-2005 15:35 Mark is offline Send an Email to Mark Search for Posts by Mark Add Mark to your Buddy List
Nailtatt Nailtatt is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-212.jpg

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Favorite 77s album: Sticks and Stones

Ya gotta love how the stories grow eh Doc?

02-27-2005 15:41 Nailtatt is offline Send an Email to Nailtatt Search for Posts by Nailtatt Add Nailtatt to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for Nailtatt
larryl larryl is a male
Rocks in your Head

thank you sir. Cool

02-28-2005 04:57 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Homepage of larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of larryl: nashvillelarryl YIM Account Name of larryl: larryl922
God-rules God-rules is a male
Happy Roy

Registration Date: 06-03-2004

I bought my strawmen CD and T-shirt at the 77s booth that year.

Michaellightyearsaheadofthecompetition

I'm gonna put my carbon footprint right up a greenies lactose intolerant hind end! - squidzit 2008
02-28-2005 05:55 God-rules is offline Send an Email to God-rules Search for Posts by God-rules Add God-rules to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Rocks in your Head

quote:
Originally posted by God-rules
I bought my strawmen CD and T-shirt at the 77s booth that year.

Michaellightyearsaheadofthecompetition

you weren't THAT far ahead....i bought it in the early 90's, but in atlanta, from dave... Big Grin

02-28-2005 07:57 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Homepage of larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of larryl: nashvillelarryl YIM Account Name of larryl: larryl922
DaLe DaLe is a male
Mr. Magoo

images/avatars/avatar-556.jpg

Location: MiNNeSoTa - HeRe we put salt on the Roads... Lord, Help me be Salt of the Earth - NoT Salt in the Wound. so, take most everything I SaY HeRe with a grain of Salt !

Thumb Up! RE: is this really the deal? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Love
>>>> that's hilarious -- we brought those tapes to Cornerstone!and sold them at our own product table.
Both Jimmy A. and myself were occasionally around watching them record the stuff too.
It's funny how it all turns into mythology later.

thanks for the reply Cool - I love the 77sMB Smile

03-08-2005 08:14 DaLe is offline Send an Email to DaLe Search for Posts by DaLe Add DaLe to your Buddy List
God-rules God-rules is a male
Happy Roy

Registration Date: 06-03-2004

I wore my Strawmen tshirt to a 7s concert a couple years later (actually this occured at a sound check prior to a C-Stone show) and Dave saw it pointed it out to Mike and said would ya look at that.

Michaelprollystillhasitbutsureitwon'tfitnow

I'm gonna put my carbon footprint right up a greenies lactose intolerant hind end! - squidzit 2008
03-08-2005 10:45 God-rules is offline Send an Email to God-rules Search for Posts by God-rules Add God-rules to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » is this really the deal?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH