77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » how long? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page how long?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Registration Date: 06-01-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning with Land in Sight

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Sharon
quote:
Originally posted by larryl
some of you are awfully old Big Grin Big Grin

There is no age limit to good taste in music. Happy

Amen!-- from the roots of my gray hair. Big Grin

07-20-2006 09:55 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
mr. magoo mr. magoo is a male
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 07-10-2006
Favorite 77s album: Eighty Eight

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

around 87/88

07-20-2006 09:57 mr. magoo is offline Send an Email to mr. magoo Search for Posts by mr. magoo Add mr. magoo to your Buddy List
Zudrak Zudrak is a male
Baby Elvis

images/avatars/avatar-243.jpg

Registration Date: 07-18-2006
Favorite 77s album: A Golden Field of Radioactive

quote:
quote:

Indeed!

...says the guy who listens to Johnny Cash and Elvis Presley from time to time, despite being a mere whelp at the age of 33. Wink

-Psalm 73:26

Michael 4 & Michael 77
07-20-2006 10:40 Zudrak is offline Send an Email to Zudrak Search for Posts by Zudrak Add Zudrak to your Buddy List
patch77s
Someone New

Registration Date: 07-17-2006
Favorite 77s album: All of them

i probably heard them first on the radio in the early 90's but didn't really get into them until probably 93 when i first saw them in concert.

steve
07-20-2006 11:51 patch77s is offline Send an Email to patch77s Search for Posts by patch77s Add patch77s to your Buddy List
phreaq phreaq is a male
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-215.jpg

Registration Date: 11-09-2005
Favorite 77s album: DWLIS

1983 (PPOTA) heard a radio show on WCIE out of Lakeland, FL - an interview with tootle and roe - they played rennaisance man among other things and the next day I owned my first 77's LP...

been a 77's Freak ever since.

~f

"do you get the blues sometimes?"

say "no" to Eleanor for Moderator

07-20-2006 12:29 phreaq is offline Send an Email to phreaq Homepage of phreaq Search for Posts by phreaq Add phreaq to your Buddy List
Alex Alex is a male
Mr. Magoo

images/avatars/avatar-115.jpg

Registration Date: 05-01-2005
Favorite 77s album: Eighty Eight

quote:
Originally posted by Marti
quote:
quote:

I wish my hair would gray... it just gets less. 37 years, if you want to know.

Alex

07-20-2006 14:43 Alex is offline Send an Email to Alex Homepage of Alex Search for Posts by Alex Add Alex to your Buddy List
j77
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Alex
quote:
Originally posted by Marti
quote:
quote:

I wish my hair would gray... it just gets less. 37 years, if you want to know.

Alex

I'm about to hit 39 and mine is graying. The beard is already at about 50 to 60% gray. Crying
07-20-2006 14:46
Skevin Skevin is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-492.jpg

Registration Date: 07-15-2006
Favorite 77s album: Sticks & Stones

07-24-2006 17:51 Skevin is offline Send an Email to Skevin Search for Posts by Skevin Add Skevin to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Skevin: k7t7
rob 3.0 rob 3.0 is a male
Radioactive Crow

images/avatars/avatar-180.gif

Registration Date: 05-28-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning With Land in Sight

Was I ever on the inside?
07-24-2006 18:07 rob 3.0 is offline Send an Email to rob 3.0 Homepage of rob 3.0 Search for Posts by rob 3.0 Add rob 3.0 to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of rob 3.0: digitalrob3 YIM Account Name of rob 3.0: flashfan77 View the MSN Profile for rob 3.0
Kit Kit is a male
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-587.jpg

Registration Date: 06-02-2004

RE: how long? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Since the Summer of 1991 when a friend played me "MT."

07-24-2006 18:52 Kit is offline Send an Email to Kit Homepage of Kit Search for Posts by Kit Add Kit to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Kit: Nakedprey77
MarkyMark77 MarkyMark77 is a male
Drowning with Land in Sight

images/avatars/avatar-456.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005
Favorite 77s album: 99

Howielong Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Well...
In 1992 I was a freshman at Kentucky Christian College (now university). In the small bookstore, there was a music section. Listening to the demos, I came across a tape by the 77's that was titled by the serial number. I thought that was cool. Seeing the old men on the cover made it more cool, of course. And then I heard "Woody".

I had never heard Christian music sound like that, and it had great lyrics (more like what sin and death is really like), it was complex and guitar-laden, Zeppelin-esque and I drooled a little bit, I think. Then I heard the rest of the CD, and I was disappointed that there weren't more tracks like it. It took me a few more months to appreciate "Kites Without Strings", "The Rain Kept Falling In Love", et. al. I had a chance to see them in Lexington, KY for that tour, but I didn't go. I had to stay, hang out and do nothing with my ex-girlfriend. I have since reprioritized.

What a great introduction (along with Adam Again's "Dig") to really good music that meant something. I still remember a couple of guys interviewing Mike at that show that I missed because they played it on the college radio station. I listened to it, but didn't know why they made such a big deal over "The Lust, The Flesh...". Boy, am I glad people grow.

BTW, when I got to hear "Woody" live in Upland, IN (I think that version might be on "When Numbers Get Serious"), I was thrilled. And the setlist from Cornerstone this year makes me wish I had made the trek. It's pretty much my dream set list from the 77's.

07-24-2006 18:58 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
tom tom blue tom tom blue is a male
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-268.jpg

Registration Date: 05-30-2004
Favorite 77s album: STICKS & STONES

must we sing this song?

07-25-2006 19:27 tom tom blue is offline Send an Email to tom tom blue Homepage of tom tom blue Search for Posts by tom tom blue Add tom tom blue to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of tom tom blue: raelzoo
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Registration Date: 06-01-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning with Land in Sight

From the archives: Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I somehow (thanks, God!) picked up a couple issues of Syndicate magazine in the mid-90s during the height of the drama right after my divorce. I read some amazingly candid statements by a singer that had just gone through his own divorce, and was curious about the music. I ordered Drowning with Land in Sight, The Boat Ashore, and Safe as Milk (curdled version), and have been a fan of the 77s and alt rock by Christians in general ever since. For both objective and sentimental reasons, the 77s is, are, were, will be my favorite band out of the lot.

I don't feel too bad about not getting around to it until the mid-90s, because I've run into very few people out here that even know who they, or a lot of bands from that genre, are.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Marti: 07-20-2006 07:59.

06-12-2007 18:52 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
dfroystad dfroystad is a male
Someone New

Registration Date: 10-13-2004

06-13-2007 15:11 dfroystad is offline Send an Email to dfroystad Search for Posts by dfroystad Add dfroystad to your Buddy List
nick nick is a male
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 12-02-2004

1992 or 93. Picked up a tape of 88 and fell in love then I saw them at Ichus (sp?) or maybe it was the other way around either way 92 or 93. Then I saw them with the Prayer Chain and instantly bought everything; including the 123 set at the show! SOOOOOOOO glad I did!
06-18-2007 11:59 nick is offline Send an Email to nick Search for Posts by nick Add nick to your Buddy List
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Mezzo

images/avatars/avatar-546.jpg

Registration Date: 09-30-2004
Favorite 77s album: Tom Tom Blues

Was blown away by the song, PPOTA.
In-your-face rock and lyrics.
Knew at that moment that I would follow these guys.
Add 'em to Livgren, Keaggy, Prodigal, White Heart, Steve Taylor, & Ark Angel as bands/artists that I would follow (at that particular time) to conclusion.
I was sold.
I would like to add that the rock vocal in that song is very strong & lends tremendous variations of range and style.

06-18-2007 13:07 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
Buddy
Someone New

Registration Date: 06-18-2007

'83 or '84 starting with Ping Pong
06-18-2007 15:57 Buddy is offline Send an Email to Buddy Search for Posts by Buddy Add Buddy to your Buddy List
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » how long?

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH