77s Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

77s Message Board » General Discussion » Doctor vs. Perry and the Poor Boys » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Doctor vs. Perry and the Poor Boys
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Gur Gur is a male
Mezzo

Registration Date: 01-14-2008
Location: And into this chasm God would let a million Jacob Bayers float down like sparkling dust on a dry wind.

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

The Lord will accept that as a good work, won't he?
01-16-2008 17:57 Gur is offline Send an Email to Gur Search for Posts by Gur Add Gur to your Buddy List
dennis
Happy Roy

images/avatars/avatar-487.jpg

Registration Date: 10-03-2004
Favorite 77s album: "88"

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Uh... right.
01-16-2008 18:56 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Registration Date: 06-01-2004
Favorite 77s album: Drowning with Land in Sight

Thread Starter Thread Started by Marti

from Jim on listserv this morning:

Well, I don't know that much, but I do know that the relationship goes back to at least the late 80's and early 90's. I saw Perry and the Poor Boys twice opening up for the 77's during this period. Perry and the boys dubbed themselves as "the 88's" for one of these shows at what was then called the New Union in Minneapolis - this before the release of "88" in 1991. The band appears to have quite a following worldwide, especially in Canada, where Perry and some of the other band members hail from. Based on their website, looks like they had an audience with Wayne Gretzky and the Canadian Men's Olympic hockey team recently... I know that the association and friendship between the guys in the band and the 77's has been ongoing for awhile... I just noticed based on a look at the PatPB website, that there is a CD called "Unknown" that Mike also played on and produced in 2003 that I have to get at some point! "Deep Blue Sea" I have, which I highly recommend...

01-17-2008 08:20 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

get all three Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I produced and played on the first three P&TPB albums. The best of these might possibly be the third one "Deep Blue Sea" which Gene Eugene mixed, but the second one "Saturn Light" (the title song written for and about Doc Love) is the most interesting. I played most guitars and basses on that one and it's pretty raw so I like it. FYI Marti, I'm not on 'unknown' and I do not recommend it Wink

I haven't worked or played with Perry in many years but I did quite a bit of both throughout the 90's. He was a huge fan that hired me to help out and I became immersed in his world for many years. He's one of a kind and I made a lot of great Canadian friends through him. Good songwriter.

Doctor Love has attached this image:
cover.jpg

01-17-2008 11:23 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
Marti Marti is a female
Radioactive Crow

Favorite 77s album: Drowning with Land in Sight

Thread Starter Thread Started by Marti

I have to ask, since I've had the song stuck in my head since some point in this discussion, if anybody in the band listened to CCR and took the name from the lyrics to "Down on the Corner".

01-17-2008 12:13 Marti is offline Send an Email to Marti Homepage of Marti Search for Posts by Marti Add Marti to your Buddy List
dennis
Happy Roy

I've wondered that too. Happy
01-17-2008 15:23 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Chesterdox Chesterdox is a male
Someone New

images/avatars/avatar-198.jpg

Registration Date: 06-05-2006
Favorite 77s album: Holy Ghost Building

I remember seeing them at the New Union in the early 90's, and they started out with a great rendition of King of the Road. I got a couple of their tapes,"Laura" was on one of them, and they had a version of "Wipe Out" on another.

02-29-2008 13:22 Chesterdox is offline Send an Email to Chesterdox Homepage of Chesterdox Search for Posts by Chesterdox Add Chesterdox to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Chesterdox: none YIM Account Name of Chesterdox: none View the MSN Profile for Chesterdox
Doctor Love Doctor Love is a male
Doctor Love

images/avatars/avatar-298.jpg

Registration Date: 08-24-2004

don't be silly Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Perry worshipped R.E.M. There is no way he got his stupid band name from that stupid song.

quote:
Originally posted by Marti
I have to ask, since I've had the song stuck in my head since some point in this discussion, if anybody in the band listened to CCR and took the name from the lyrics to "Down on the Corner".
02-29-2008 16:05 Doctor Love is offline Send an Email to Doctor Love Homepage of Doctor Love Search for Posts by Doctor Love Add Doctor Love to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of Doctor Love: micro77s YIM Account Name of Doctor Love: micro77s View the MSN Profile for Doctor Love
Gur Gur is a male
Mezzo

Location: And into this chasm God would let a million Jacob Bayers float down like sparkling dust on a dry wind.

Mad Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

How dare you refer to that stupid song as that stupid song!
02-29-2008 19:09 Gur is offline Send an Email to Gur Search for Posts by Gur Add Gur to your Buddy List
nick nick is a male
Baby Elvis

Registration Date: 12-02-2004

Ya know I thought I was the only one that didn't care for CCR! I just never got into them always seemed to bore me...by brother loved them but eh
03-02-2008 13:25 nick is offline Send an Email to nick Search for Posts by nick Add nick to your Buddy List
dennis
Happy Roy

I love C.C.R. and R.E.M! Tongue
03-05-2008 16:39 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List
Gur Gur is a male
Mezzo

If you mix CCR and REM, don't you get CCM?
03-05-2008 19:27 Gur is offline Send an Email to Gur Search for Posts by Gur Add Gur to your Buddy List
larryl larryl is a male
Rocks in your Head

images/avatars/avatar-446.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Gur

this made me laugh loudly. good thing i am at home. Big Grin

03-06-2008 05:26 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Homepage of larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of larryl: nashvillelarryl YIM Account Name of larryl: larryl922
LuR KiNG
Flower in the Sand

images/avatars/avatar-86.jpg

Registration Date: 09-17-2004

quote:
Originally posted by larryl
quote:
Originally posted by Gur

this made me laugh loudly. good thing i am at home. Big Grin

Big Grin
03-06-2008 06:45 LuR KiNG is offline Send an Email to LuR KiNG Search for Posts by LuR KiNG Add LuR KiNG to your Buddy List
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2] Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
77s Message Board » General Discussion » Doctor vs. Perry and the Poor Boys

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH