Lost Dogs Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Lost Dogs Message Board » On Topic Discussion » General Discussion » The Lost Dogs - Distribution » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page The Lost Dogs - Distribution
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
londontye londontye is a male
Miniature Poodle

images/avatars/avatar-281.jpg

Registration Date: 10-12-2006

The Lost Dogs - Distribution Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

seen them about 4 0r 5 times now...couldn't make it to the last show in Chatham, but looking forward to the next one. oh, and by the way.....GET DISTRIBUTION IN CANADA.....falling behind in cd's because we can't get them at the music stores!!!!!!
10-12-2006 16:00 londontye is offline Send an Email to londontye Homepage of londontye Search for Posts by londontye Add londontye to your Buddy List
larryl
Collie

images/avatars/avatar-226.jpg

Registration Date: 03-23-2005

RE: concerts... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by londontye
seen them about 4 0r 5 times now...couldn't make it to the last show in Chatham, but looking forward to the next one. oh, and by the way.....GET DISTRIBUTION IN CANADA.....falling behind in cd's because we can't get them at the music stores!!!!!!

you can't buy them in the USA in stores either.....it's just part of being a fan of these guys....buy online, or buy at a show.

crying in the dark

10-13-2006 07:56 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Homepage of larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
Audiori J
unregistered
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Maybe someone in canada should start a distribution company. We'll sell you a bunch of CDs and you can distribute them to stores.
10-13-2006 13:37
Ron E Ron E is a male
Scottish Terrier

images/avatars/avatar-269.gif

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Can't do that, the dog sledders are all on strike.

10-13-2006 14:28 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List
pmac pmac is a male
Miniature Pinscher

images/avatars/avatar-123.jpg

Registration Date: 04-10-2005

RE: concerts... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by larryl
you can't buy them in the USA in stores either.....it's just part of being a fan of these guys....buy online, or buy at a show.

People still buy music in stores?

Tongue

Seriously, there's a big shift going on in how music is sold - Tower Records announcing the other day that they're shutting ALL of their stores was a shock at first, but in hindsight, maybe not really surprising...

Tower Records shutting all stores

I probably haven't stepped foot in a "record" store in at least 6-7 years...

10-13-2006 23:03 pmac is offline Send an Email to pmac Search for Posts by pmac Add pmac to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of pmac: Patrick McNamara YIM Account Name of pmac: Patrick McNamara View the MSN Profile for pmac
londontye londontye is a male
Miniature Poodle

images/avatars/avatar-281.jpg

Registration Date: 10-12-2006

Thread Starter Thread Started by londontye
albums... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

so you're getting a cd from the states....first there's exchange (granted has been better lately), shipping, customs...and hopefully it's still in stock. .sorry, but it's just not worth it sometimes...and we all can't make it to shows, and bands certainly don't head up here that often. i'd rather pay the overpriced 24 dollars i use to at the music store. downloading ....not my thing...would rather get the booklet, linernotes, anything that makes a cd worthwhile.
10-14-2006 18:37 londontye is offline Send an Email to londontye Homepage of londontye Search for Posts by londontye Add londontye to your Buddy List
larryl
Collie

images/avatars/avatar-226.jpg

RE: albums... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by londontye
so you're getting a cd from the states....first there's exchange (granted has been better lately), shipping, customs...and hopefully it's still in stock. .sorry, but it's just not worth it sometimes...and we all can't make it to shows, and bands certainly don't head up here that often. i'd rather pay the overpriced 24 dollars i use to at the music store. downloading ....not my thing...would rather get the booklet, linernotes, anything that makes a cd worthwhile.

i am thinking the audiori's can get it to canada for less than 24 dollars......

if they can't, i will set up a store, and sell to you, online. i know i can get them to you for less than 24 dollars.

and you missed a major point.....none of us can find this stuff in stores, either.

read jeffrey's post in the other thread for more info.

crying in the dark

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by larryl: 10-14-2006 22:33.

10-14-2006 22:31 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Homepage of larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
jeffrey k. jeffrey k. is a male
Dachshund

images/avatars/avatar-249.jpg

RE: albums... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:

if they can't, i will set up a store, and sell to you, online. i know i can get them to you for less than 24 dollars.

and you missed a major point.....none of us can find this stuff in stores, either.

read jeffrey's post in the other thread for more info.

I will re-post my distro message here as part of this one, but I think part of what drives the costs up for anyone buying outside of the USA is the customs fees and taxes....which as a label I have no control over....nor does the band, the audori's....etc.

With shipping to Canada a $15 cd will probably cost in the neighborhood of $18.....but then (at least according to my research and the complaints of several Canadian buyers) each package that clears Canadian customs is charged an additional $5 processing fee, and then an additional 6% tax on the declaired value of the package plus the $5 fee. So the fees really add up....at least as I understand things.

However - the distribution issue is as follows - It's not as simple as "getting it".... For one thing you have to find a distributor that WANTS to distribute your music, and then if you find that, they then have to find stores that WANT to carry the music. Easier ranted about than done.....and in the end, with the prices that distributors charge bands and labels to put stuff in stores, plus then the gamble of actually getting paid by distributors when stuff does sell....well "big sorry, but it's not worth it..." Tongue Big Grin

I get asked why Lo-Fidelity doesn't have distribution....and it's for the reasons above....but a few others as well. I've had companies approach me on this, and I've approached a few as well, and none of the deals make any sense. The distributors want the CD's or DVD's shipped to them in advance of any payments....on your dime too...they usually want 30 days to try and get them in stores....they want (and this is a big one) the option that if the CD or DVD sells poorly to be able to return all unsold merchandise back to you....on your dime. They want you to show a "marketing plan" where you agree to market the release to radio and print ads to support their efforts of getting the stuff in stores....and this costs a fortune. Then if anything does sell, they want 90 days after the fact to give you your cut of the wholesale price minus all their fees. So add up the fees, the costs, and all this hassle, throw in trying to do this with companies in and outside of the US....and you can forget it!

I've seen WAY too many bands and labels get burned by distro. If you are a band like Third Day and are gonna sell several hundred-thousand cd's, this kind of thing is going to work better because you are going to sell CD's and make everyone money....but little bands and little labels....well they just slip through the cracks...and so does their money. I have a friend right now who runs an indie label that is owed over $20,000 by a major distributor and is going to have to go to court to try and get it. It's not worth it.

So....buy online....buy at shows....and if you can't....well you can't....but at this level, this is the best option.

jeffrey k.

(audioris....please move this part of the thread to another location if you feel it's appropriate as it has nothing to do with the Dogs Christmas tour...)

10-16-2006 01:18 jeffrey k. is offline Send an Email to jeffrey k. Homepage of jeffrey k. Search for Posts by jeffrey k. Add jeffrey k. to your Buddy List
audiori
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-3.jpg

Registration Date: 03-21-2005

quote:

Yeah, I don't think it costs anyone in Canada 24 dollars to buy a CD from us. We actually give our international customers a break on the actual shipping costs..

10-16-2006 03:21 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Scottish Terrier

images/avatars/avatar-269.gif

thanks guys Smile

10-16-2006 11:26 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Lost Dogs Message Board » On Topic Discussion » General Discussion » The Lost Dogs - Distribution

Virtual-Turk
Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.4, Developed by WoltLab GmbH