Lost Dogs Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Lost Dogs Message Board » On Topic Discussion » General Discussion » What's your favorite new song? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page What's your favorite new song?
Posts in this Thread Author Date
 What's your favorite new song? mo_jojo 07-15-2006 03:46
 RE: What's your favorite new song? Kalhoun 07-15-2006 09:28
 RE: What's your favorite new song? Audiori J 07-15-2006 10:43
 RE: What's your favorite new song? larryl 07-15-2006 11:31
 RE: What's your favorite new song? peawinkel 07-15-2006 17:56
 RE: What's your favorite new song? Cliff 07-16-2006 06:57
 RE: What's your favorite new song? Alex 07-26-2006 03:29
 RE: What's your favorite new song? pmac 07-26-2006 07:47
 RE: What's your favorite new song? BigFiber 07-26-2006 12:12
 RE: What's your favorite new song? trcf 07-16-2006 08:48
 RE: What's your favorite new song? JohnL 07-16-2006 23:45
 RE: What's your favorite new song? bereal 07-17-2006 01:36
 RE: What's your favorite new song? Zudrak 07-18-2006 09:32
 RE: What's your favorite new song? Wander 07-18-2006 11:18
 RE: What's your favorite new song? bereal 07-20-2006 14:27
 #1 Fav BigFiber 07-20-2006 17:48
 RE: What's your favorite new song? pmac 07-20-2006 23:34
 RE: What's your favorite new song? Bullseye 07-21-2006 09:17
 RE: What's your favorite new song? bereal 07-21-2006 22:28
 RE: What's your favorite new song? Audiori J 07-21-2006 11:47
Next Page »

Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
mo_jojo mo_jojo is a male
Greyhound

images/avatars/avatar-259.jpg

Registration Date: 06-29-2005

Thumb Up! What's your favorite new song? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I'm not sure if I have a #1 on the new release. Every time I listen, I like a different one the most.

Devil's Elbow has advanced in my ratings, as has Whispering Memories. I'm burned out on That's Where Jesus Is.

Hardening My Heart is probably my favorite right now, but Burn It Up, and Devil's Elbow both linger in my mind throughout the day as well.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by mo_jojo: 07-15-2006 03:47.

07-15-2006 03:46 mo_jojo is offline Send an Email to mo_jojo Search for Posts by mo_jojo Add mo_jojo to your Buddy List
Kalhoun Kalhoun is a male
Miniature Poodle

images/avatars/avatar-238.jpg

Registration Date: 07-15-2006

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I agree that Devil's Elbow is very good. I like the title song the best. Not only is the imagery excellent, the theme fantastic, but I think Terry has a keen understanding of trains. Some day, maybe he'll explain why there are two of them. It's quite a feat to write a little song that captures so much imagery.

Just listening to this recording brings tears to my eyes. It's packed full of emotions. Hardening My Heart is probably closest to my heart, though it definitely is not the best song on the CD.

07-15-2006 09:28 Kalhoun is offline Send an Email to Kalhoun Homepage of Kalhoun Search for Posts by Kalhoun Add Kalhoun to your Buddy List
Audiori J
unregistered
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

1. Get Me Ready For It
2. Thats Where Jesus Is

Top two no question for me.
07-15-2006 10:43
larryl
Collie

images/avatars/avatar-226.jpg

Registration Date: 03-23-2005

get me ready

i love this song.....

some of the slower ones will end up being very dear to me eventually.....

crying in the dark

07-15-2006 11:31 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Homepage of larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Golden Retriever

images/avatars/avatar-274.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Get Me Ready

Cool
07-15-2006 17:56 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
Cliff Cliff is a male
Miniature Poodle

Registration Date: 06-14-2006

Get Me Ready
Devil's Elbow

http://www.theroadwanderer.net/66Missouri/elbow.htm

somewhere around here they stopped for steak - only about two hours outside of St. Louis

Maybe we should erect some fancy roadside sign with the words on it
07-16-2006 06:57 Cliff is offline Send an Email to Cliff Search for Posts by Cliff Add Cliff to your Buddy List
Alex Alex is a male
Miniature Pinscher

images/avatars/avatar-147.jpg

Registration Date: 07-18-2005

1 - Devil's Elbow
2 - One more Day

Honorable mention: Get me ready, Burn it up, That's where Jesus is

"That's where Jesus is" is a good one, and I agree to most of the lyrics, but it's got too much "anti"- attitude to it to be my top fav. It's not our calling to be "against" parts of Christ's body, we're called to be "for" Jesus. In addition, I don't know the christian scene in the US (I'm German), but do we really have the guts to say "Jesus is like we declare him to be, not like those CCM guys and TV preachers say"? Isn't that even kind of arrogant if we think of ourselves as better than others? Do we really have a deeper understanding?

As the guy in the bible said (Luke18,9-14): Thank God that I am not like those pharisees. I know it's only a lyric to a song that's supposed to be funny, cynical and witful, but we still got to be careful.

I admit that "One more day" contains a strange attitude, too. I wouldn't make it my personal anthem. But I know days like these, and the song may be very appropriate to those.

The lyrics make me think. I think that's a good thing. Thumbs up!

Alex

Bis die Hölle gefriert: www.freak-alex-band.com

07-26-2006 03:29 Alex is offline Send an Email to Alex Homepage of Alex Search for Posts by Alex Add Alex to your Buddy List
pmac pmac is a male
Miniature Pinscher

images/avatars/avatar-123.jpg

Registration Date: 04-10-2005

quote:
Originally posted by Alex

"That's where Jesus is" is a good one, and I agree to most of the lyrics, but it's got too much "anti"- attitude to it to be my top fav. It's not our calling to be "against" parts of Christ's body, we're called to be "for" Jesus. In addition, I don't know the christian scene in the US (I'm German), but do we really have the guts to say "Jesus is like we declare him to be, not like those CCM guys and TV preachers say"? Isn't that even kind of arrogant if we think of ourselves as better than others? Do we really have a deeper understanding?

As the guy in the bible said (Luke18,9-14): Thank God that I am not like those pharisees. I know it's only a lyric to a song that's supposed to be funny, cynical and witful, but we still got to be careful.

The lyrics make me think. I think that's a good thing. Thumbs up!

Alex

Hey Alex...

Thanks for those comments, I appreciate them because I've been thinking about the lyrics for this song as I've been listening, and like you, I have mixed feelings.

It's good to be reminded and encouraged how we need to be Jesus to the world around us.

On the other hand, admonishing someone's behavior is a trickier thing to do... I have to wonder if the lyrics that do that get people to think about their own actions, or just get people to look down on others that do them (how many folks listening are folks who eat at five star restaurants and do oil deals on the golf course)?

But as you point out - they are thought-provoking - always a good thing!

07-26-2006 07:47 pmac is offline Send an Email to pmac Search for Posts by pmac Add pmac to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of pmac: Patrick McNamara YIM Account Name of pmac: Patrick McNamara View the MSN Profile for pmac
BigFiber BigFiber is a male
Chihuahua

images/avatars/avatar-54.jpg

Registration Date: 03-25-2005

As to "Thats where Jesus is"

I'ts a good song, however, it's not the HOLY COW, THIS IS THE DOGS BEST SONG EVER!! Breathe deep and Built for glory (as anthem type songs go) I like much more IMHO.

I agree with some of the comments that it seems a bit "anti". I think the songs saying much of Christianity is charity, whether it be in giving or doing for others. Does Jesus care less for the rich? I don't think so and I don't think the band does either. It just seems that the "work" the body of Christ should be doing is (or should be) more focused on the needy. Maybe I'm missing the point intirely, but that would be par for me.

I will say however that in Baltimore Terry sang it with a bit of angst...
Very Neil Young like. Wink

07-26-2006 12:12 BigFiber is offline Send an Email to BigFiber Search for Posts by BigFiber Add BigFiber to your Buddy List
trcf trcf is a male
Dachshund

images/avatars/avatar-257.jpg

Registration Date: 03-23-2005

Another Roadside Attraction.....

1. Get me ready.
07-16-2006 08:48 trcf is offline Send an Email to trcf Search for Posts by trcf Add trcf to your Buddy List
JohnL
Miniature Poodle

images/avatars/avatar-243.jpg

Registration Date: 04-17-2005

Today...

Get me Ready
The Lost Cabin...
07-16-2006 23:45 JohnL is offline Send an Email to JohnL Search for Posts by JohnL Add JohnL to your Buddy List
bereal bereal is a female
Golden Retriever

images/avatars/avatar-230.gif

favorite?

Oh, one listen, it's Broken Like Brooklyn, another time it's the title song, another time it's Hardening My Heart, and yet Get Me Ready and Burn it Up get their turn being my favorite also. That's Where Jesus Is really touches me because it's so REAL and Whispering Memories makes me cry almost every time. Yeah, they're all my favorite right now. It usually takes a while for the newness to wear off and for me to settle into a real favorite off an album. Although, I usually come back to my original favorite. Problem is, not one of these songs really hit me as a favorite. I can't decided between them. Pleased Cool Wink Smile )

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Smile
07-17-2006 01:36 bereal is offline Send an Email to bereal Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
Zudrak Zudrak is a male
Dachshund

images/avatars/avatar-260.jpg

Registration Date: 07-17-2006

I'd have to say "That's Where Jesus Is", although the new album is chock full of goodies. "That's Where Jesus Is", however, is a gutsy and honest assessment of the faith. It is uncomfortable, but then again, so is the Gospel -- and the Great Commission. It's too easy to just go through the motions and remain "safe". It's also easy for mankind to confuse what Christianity is, when you look at history of the last 2000 years.

Jesus' grace, however, is supposed to shape us to be His voice, His heart, and His hands and feet. Because of the grace extended to us, we're to be compassionate to those around us (and maybe not so close to us). I like songs that tell us things that our flesh does not necessarily want to know, but is imperative that the Church hears it and obeys. We're to follow the Great Commission because if we love Him, we'll obey Him (John 14:15; Matthew 28:18-20). I also like songs that wake ME up because it's easy to keep "the church" in the third person, but I am a part of it and need to heed Jesus' words accordingly.

That's what I get out of this song, anyway. I hope I worded this well enough for everyone out there.

-Psalm 73:26

07-18-2006 09:32 Zudrak is offline Send an Email to Zudrak Search for Posts by Zudrak Add Zudrak to your Buddy List
Wander
Miniature Poodle

Registration Date: 07-07-2005

It's hard to pick a favorite song when they're all great. I really dig on "Wispering Memories" especially with the pedal steel. Oh, that's nice.

But I keep coming back to "Broken Like Brooklyn": Great lyrics. Gentle yet challenging tone of the song to convey the lyrics. I especially like how the Dogs used the vocals. Terry on lead expressing the tiredness and searching of the story. Derry on chorus bringing an "everyman" approval to Terry & Mike's verses. Mike's vocals at the end have some nice trippy effects on them to tie it all together.

This song also has some local signifigance like when the Colts left Baltimore in the dark of night.

This is also my son's favorite song. It was awesome to hear it live on Saturday.
07-18-2006 11:18 Wander is offline Send an Email to Wander Search for Posts by Wander Add Wander to your Buddy List
Golden Retriever

I've already chosen a favorite ~ see being a woman it's my prerogative...... Anyhoo, it'll change next week, but for now I'm really enjoying That's Where Jesus Is. Zudrak, great review of that song! I love the line "He gets invited to Church sometimes and sometimes He don't go". I suppose this line is very near and dear to my heart because many years ago when I was given the responsibility to lead the women's Bible study when the leader was going to be gone, I had to preview the video. It was a Beth Moore Bible study and she said something that seemed profound to me ~ still does. It goes along with this quite well. She said, and I'm paraphrasing her, "It seems apparent to me that Christ is not found in many churches in America. It would not surprise me if walking up to the front door of many churches, there would be a sign over the door that says, "Ichabod" which means, 'My Spirit has departed.'" Well, seems Terry has obtained the same wisdom ~ He doesn't always go to Church. Frown

Smile
07-20-2006 14:27 bereal is offline Send an Email to bereal Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
BigFiber BigFiber is a male
Chihuahua

images/avatars/avatar-54.jpg

Registration Date: 03-25-2005

#1 Fav Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I agree with Mo JoJo

With each listen I find something new to like about one of the new songs. But that's how its always been with me and the Dogs. Picking one favorite song is like choosing just one favorite food. Sometimes I feel like chicken, other times I want steak. And there are those occations where I feel like eating something sweet.(Which is most the time...)

Anyone for a giant Hissy Fit?!

About 8 of us saw the guys in Baltimore on the 15th and it was wonderful! I haven't seen them all plugged in like that since Green Room and hearing Elenore and Imagin That was amazing.

07-20-2006 17:48 BigFiber is offline Send an Email to BigFiber Search for Posts by BigFiber Add BigFiber to your Buddy List
pmac pmac is a male
Miniature Pinscher

images/avatars/avatar-123.jpg

Registration Date: 04-10-2005

Devil's Elbow. Some time ago, I read a history of the Adirondack region in upstate NY - logging was (and is) big up there. Early on, timber was floated down rivers and men were hired to walk out on the logjams with poles to bust up the jams. Needless to say, many died doing this. Devil's Elbow reminded me a lot of that. Also reminds me of Rocky Mountain Mines - another song about miserable, dangerous jobs that men did to take care of their families.

Plus, the song cranks along nicely Cool

07-20-2006 23:34 pmac is offline Send an Email to pmac Search for Posts by pmac Add pmac to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of pmac: Patrick McNamara YIM Account Name of pmac: Patrick McNamara View the MSN Profile for pmac
Bullseye
Miniature Poodle

Registration Date: 07-05-2005

I really like "Hardening My Heart". It sounds like a song that could've been on the "Safe As Milk" CD.....of which I love just as much as any Lost Dogs disc......it's all good!
07-21-2006 09:17 Bullseye is offline Search for Posts by Bullseye Add Bullseye to your Buddy List
Golden Retriever

quote:
Originally posted by Bullseye
I really like "Hardening My Heart". It sounds like a song that could've been on the "Safe As Milk" CD.....of which I love just as much as any Lost Dogs disc......it's all good!

I do like this one too. When I first heard it, I thought, "Wow, Mike wrote a great song." Then I looked at the liner notes. Terry wrote something that sounded like a song Mike could've written. Pleased Cool

Smile
07-21-2006 22:28 bereal is offline Send an Email to bereal Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
Audiori J
unregistered

Yeah my take on "favorite" is the one that hits me where I am the most at this time. Thats going to be different for different people at different times.

On Devil's Elbow, I do like something about the rhymes of "Beams" for some reasons, it has an interesting ring.
07-21-2006 11:47
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 next » ... last » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Lost Dogs Message Board » On Topic Discussion » General Discussion » What's your favorite new song?

Virtual-Turk
Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.4, Developed by WoltLab GmbH