Lost Dogs Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Lost Dogs Message Board » On Topic Discussion » General Discussion » real men cry » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page real men cry
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
larryl
Collie

images/avatars/avatar-226.jpg

Registration Date: 03-23-2005

real men cry Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

i love this CD......some of my favorite LD tunes, and i actually dig the "rough" production.....

i know i am one of few, but i really like this CD

crying in the dark

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by larryl: 12-07-2005 23:13.

12-07-2005 22:57 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Homepage of larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
pmac pmac is a male
Miniature Pinscher

images/avatars/avatar-123.jpg

Registration Date: 04-10-2005

RE: real men cry Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by larryl
i love this CD......some of my favorite LD tunes, and i actually dig the "rough" production.....

i know i am one of few, but i really like this CD

One of the few? Do most fans really not like this CD all that much? I enjoy it quite a bit... and it's got a couple tunes that my kids love to sing along with (Three Legged Dog, When the Judgement Comes, Wild Ride, Dust on the Bible...)

12-08-2005 05:32 pmac is offline Send an Email to pmac Search for Posts by pmac Add pmac to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of pmac: Patrick McNamara YIM Account Name of pmac: Patrick McNamara View the MSN Profile for pmac
larryl
Collie

Thread Starter Thread Started by larryl
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

people seem to like the songs, but have a hard time with the production......i think it's all killer....

crying in the dark

12-08-2005 07:09 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Homepage of larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
MarkyMark77 MarkyMark77 is a male
Dachshund

images/avatars/avatar-304.jpg

Registration Date: 06-30-2005

Real Men Cry Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

What a good CD. When I first bought it, it was refreshing, but I can see how it would be quite a shock when the last LD CD was Gift Horse. The drumming on RMC is what keeps me coming back to it, esp. on "The Gates Of Eden". It kind of reminds me of Matthew Sweet, circa "100% Fun", which is another great CD. It seems to be like Tom Tom Blues by the 77's, much maligned by fans at times, but my favorite 77's CD. "In The Distance" is my wife's favorite Lost Dogs song. I've read people writing about how they like the songs but not the production, but I think that misses the point. Musical expression is not just reserved for lyrics or melody. A rawer production fits the whole time frame of the album; as a band, down but not out, roughed up a bit but still dedicated after a great loss. My guess is that this meaning was not intended, but these things have a way of expressing themselves in more than just words. That's just my interpretation of it; that's just how it makes me feel.

P.S. I also love "Gift Horse" as well!

77's - 9/13/96, 9/17/96, 10/29/99; LOST DOGS - ?/?/1994?, 2/10/96, 5/24/96, 7/5/05, 6/29/07; MIKE ROE - 3/14/02, 6/29/07; MIKE ROE/MARK HARMON - 11/20/04 MIKE ROE/TERRY TAYLOR - 8/19/03; MIKE ROE/MIKE PRITZL - 11/18/05, 11/14/06, 6/29/07
12-08-2005 07:40 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
Cynthia Cynthia is a female
Beagle

Registration Date: 08-10-2005

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

That's cool that you guys are talking about this CD. It has been in my car CD player for awhile now, so whenever my kids and I are in the car that's what we have been listening to. I love that CD, for many of the songs of course. My kids also like Wild Ride, they really can belt out the chorus, all four of them. They also love Dust on the Bible, Three Legged Dog, and When the Judgement Comes - all of the really upbeat ones. And may I add for myself, that I really get into the drumming on these songs. I know it is a little different, but it is fun and good to break up the monotony of normal drumming. Big Grin It's fun. Just as a funny story for this CD (don't think of me as a bad mommy for this) I like to listen to songs over again a few times when I really like something, so I was playing "No Shadow of Turning" over and my 4 year old yells, hey I like the next song, so I let it go on to "Lovely Man" and she right away just starts singing all of the words. Oh boy, I really laughed, and then they all thought that was so funny, they all had to start singing. It was really funny. Big Grin What a bad mommy I am.
12-08-2005 16:46 Cynthia is offline Send an Email to Cynthia Search for Posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your Buddy List
larryl
Collie

Thread Starter Thread Started by larryl

i dig the drumming, too.......lenz is fantastic......

crying in the dark

12-10-2005 16:20 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Homepage of larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
pmac pmac is a male
Miniature Pinscher

images/avatars/avatar-123.jpg

Registration Date: 04-10-2005

quote:
Originally posted by Cynthia
I know it is a little different, but it is fun and good to break up the monotony of normal drumming. Big Grin It's fun. .

We did Dust on the Bible earlier this year during a church service. I passed out the Lost Dogs version for the guys to listen to (there's at least 5 versions available on iTunes, all pretty sedate except for the LD version)... the drummer says "Man, that drummer really cuts loose on the drums - I don't know if I can do that during a church service...".

He didn't Roll Eyes

But it was still fun...

12-10-2005 20:55 pmac is offline Send an Email to pmac Search for Posts by pmac Add pmac to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of pmac: Patrick McNamara YIM Account Name of pmac: Patrick McNamara View the MSN Profile for pmac
Audiori J
unregistered

Ive seen a few people say this might be their least favorite Dogs album, and some claim Mutt. But I like all the Dogs albums for different reasons. They are all different, sorta link to a different time for me. I wouldn't want all of their albums to sound exactly like any one of the albums.

Real Men Cry, the sound and artwork for the album I think are matched very well.
12-12-2005 14:39
the fifth dog the fifth dog is a female
Beagle

images/avatars/avatar-151.gif

Registration Date: 07-13-2005

still don't have mutt.... thanks for the reminder to order it in the near future.... Smile

12-13-2005 01:08 the fifth dog is offline Send an Email to the fifth dog Homepage of the fifth dog Search for Posts by the fifth dog Add the fifth dog to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for the fifth dog
Joey T.
Collie

images/avatars/avatar-229.jpg

Question RE: real men pose... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

has everybody heard the dogs most controversial cd??? Shocked

carman is a good artist! he's made me smile on many an ocasion with his wit and his fun songs. it horrifys me to see all you people bagging on the man. this bord is almost to much for me. i wonder if i've stumbled into a pit of despair! ~tOr
12-21-2005 12:14 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Golden Retriever

images/avatars/avatar-274.jpg

Registration Date: 03-24-2005

How desirable are them Dogs?
12-21-2005 15:28 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
the fifth dog the fifth dog is a female
Beagle

images/avatars/avatar-151.gif

Registration Date: 07-13-2005

very indeed... haha..

ohh and i'm getting Mutt and Fun with Sound for my birthday... *yay*!

12-23-2005 00:40 the fifth dog is offline Send an Email to the fifth dog Homepage of the fifth dog Search for Posts by the fifth dog Add the fifth dog to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for the fifth dog
Bret Bret is a male
Beagle

RE: real men pose... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Joey T.
has everybody heard the dogs most controversial cd??? Shocked

That caused me to cry!

12-23-2005 13:52 Bret is offline Send an Email to Bret Homepage of Bret Search for Posts by Bret Add Bret to your Buddy List
Alex Alex is a male
Miniature Pinscher

images/avatars/avatar-147.jpg

Registration Date: 07-18-2005

quote:
Originally posted by pmac
We did Dust on the Bible earlier this year during a church service. I passed out the Lost Dogs version for the guys to listen to (there's at least 5 versions available on iTunes, all pretty sedate except for the LD version)... the drummer says "Man, that drummer really cuts loose on the drums - I don't know if I can do that during a church service...".

He didn't Roll Eyes

But it was still fun...

We have some smaller "jam" parts during our concerts. Once I felt pulled to sing the chorus of "Real men cry" during that time; it fit really well. We later included that part a few times on purpose to our regular setlist.

I love the drumming on the CD, too. Especially on "Gates of Eden".

Alex

Bis die Hölle gefriert: www.freak-alex-band.com

03-15-2006 03:31 Alex is offline Send an Email to Alex Homepage of Alex Search for Posts by Alex Add Alex to your Buddy List
trcf trcf is a male
Dachshund

images/avatars/avatar-257.jpg

Gates of Eden Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yeah, Gates of Eden is a great song on every level. Lyrics, melody, harmony, energy, emotion... gotta love the Jangling Byrds guitar, gotta love the great freedom of the drumming... etc.

...oh, yeah, the bass always reminds me of McCartney's playing on "Rain".

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by trcf: 03-15-2006 08:56.

03-15-2006 08:46 trcf is offline Send an Email to trcf Search for Posts by trcf Add trcf to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Lost Dogs Message Board » On Topic Discussion » General Discussion » real men cry

Virtual-Turk
Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.4, Developed by WoltLab GmbH