Lost Dogs Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Lost Dogs Message Board » On Topic Discussion » CD & DVD Reviews » Lost Dogs - Island Dreams » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (5): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Lost Dogs - Island Dreams 4 Votes - Average Rating: 7.004 Votes - Average Rating: 7.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
carl carl is a male
Scottish Terrier

Registration Date: 03-23-2005

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

OK. I ordered it. It better be faithin' good. I'm tired of making an effort to try to like their music. Red Face

Tongue

07-13-2005 15:11 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List
the fifth dog the fifth dog is a female
Beagle

images/avatars/avatar-151.gif

Registration Date: 07-13-2005

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

i know i'm not sounding like a loyal fan here, but is island dreams seriously worth it? even without their vocals, lyrics etc?

i'm doubting if i'm gonna purchase this one. haven't bothered to get Mutt either, which is crazy cuz i luv these guys. probably it's all got to do with the fact that i live in europe. very impractical.

but tell me, is it worth buying?

07-14-2005 02:47 the fifth dog is offline Send an Email to the fifth dog Homepage of the fifth dog Search for Posts by the fifth dog Add the fifth dog to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for the fifth dog
pmac pmac is a male
Miniature Pinscher

images/avatars/avatar-123.jpg

Registration Date: 04-10-2005

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by the fifth dog
i know i'm not sounding like a loyal fan here, but is island dreams seriously worth it? even without their vocals, lyrics etc?

i'm doubting if i'm gonna purchase this one. haven't bothered to get Mutt either, which is crazy cuz i luv these guys. probably it's all got to do with the fact that i live in europe. very impractical.

but tell me, is it worth buying?

Mutt is a must-have. Seriously.

I haven't listened to Island Dreams much yet, just picked it up last week and only listened to it once, so I'm reluctant to say much about it... other than it doesn't seem like music I'll be blasting in the car while driving... more like music I'll be listening to while working the barbecue on the deck Cool

07-14-2005 06:02 pmac is offline Send an Email to pmac Search for Posts by pmac Add pmac to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of pmac: Patrick McNamara YIM Account Name of pmac: Patrick McNamara View the MSN Profile for pmac
Beagle

k.. mutt musthave... island dreams.. doubtfull.... got it

07-14-2005 06:09 the fifth dog is offline Send an Email to the fifth dog Homepage of the fifth dog Search for Posts by the fifth dog Add the fifth dog to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for the fifth dog
jiminy
Dachshund

my penny-

If you are looking for a Dogs recording that is similar to the others you've heard, than I agree that Mutt is an essential part.

But I woudln't sell Island dreams short. Yes - I admit its a departure -For a Dogs Recording-especially.

but I cant listen to "Kill em All" By Metalica everyday..or "Close to the Edge" by Yes

same with I.D. Its not for everyday or every occasion..but it is PERFECT music to relax by..the more I listen- the more I like.
I happen to work in an office, and its ideal as (I hate to say it) "Mood" music..and the fact that it is the Boys clearly does come through.

There- my penny spent

07-14-2005 07:28 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Beagle

jiminy.... you make me wanna have it...

do you get paid to say this, by any chance Wink

07-14-2005 08:31 the fifth dog is offline Send an Email to the fifth dog Homepage of the fifth dog Search for Posts by the fifth dog Add the fifth dog to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for the fifth dog
carl carl is a male
Scottish Terrier

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Actually, the one huge plus I see for Island Dreams, regardless, is that it WON'T sound like Mutt. Red Face

Tongue

07-14-2005 09:19 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List
jiminy
Dachshund

quote:
Originally posted by the fifth dog
jiminy.... you make me wanna have it...

do you get paid to say this, by any chance Wink

my payment is gratuitous comments...
thanks~

07-14-2005 10:43 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
jiminy
Dachshund

quote:
Originally posted by carl
Actually, the one huge plus I see for Island Dreams, regardless, is that it WON'T sound like Mutt. Red Face

Tongue

"He'll pick you up
He'll set you down-
He'll let you know
If you want to....."

(or even if'n you don't!)

he heeeee!

07-14-2005 10:48 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
bereal bereal is a female
Golden Retriever

images/avatars/avatar-230.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2005

quote:
Originally posted by jiminy
quote:

Tongue

"He'll pick you up
He'll set you down-
He'll let you know
If you want to....."

(or even if'n you don't!)

he heeeee!

Big Grin

One more night until I get mine! Pleased

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Smile
07-16-2005 20:50 bereal is offline Send an Email to bereal Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
boxdude boxdude is a male
Miniature Poodle

Registration Date: 06-15-2005

Don't be fooled, its not a far departure Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

If you are familiar with any of the old Sirgio "Spagetti Westerns" like The Good, The Bad, The Ugly, this album sounds very familiar to that sound. Even though it has that carribian, hawaii sound, it is a Western movie score underneath the "Island" facad. Pleased
07-17-2005 19:53 boxdude is offline Send an Email to boxdude Search for Posts by boxdude Add boxdude to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of boxdude: cspinc1
DaLe DaLe is a male
Beagle

images/avatars/avatar-206.jpg

Registration Date: 04-20-2005
Location: MiNNeSoTa - HeRe we put salt on the Roads... Lord, Help me be Salt of the Earth - NoT Salt in the Wound. so, take most everything I SaY HeRe with a grain of Salt !

RE: Don't be fooled, its not a far departure Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by boxdude
If you are familiar with any of the old Sirgio "Spagetti Westerns" like The Good, The Bad, The Ugly, this album sounds very familiar to that sound. Even though it has that carribian, hawaii sound, it is a Western movie score underneath the "Island" facad. Pleased

well... maybe a little.

but, now that you bring it up Cool

I actually just watched The Good, The Bad, The Ugly, last night.
great music! the strings, the flute sounding thing, & the bright twangy guitar Smile ) I could really see the DoGS do something MoRe like that.

Good catch there BoXDuDe Cool

07-19-2005 08:53 DaLe is offline Send an Email to DaLe Search for Posts by DaLe Add DaLe to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Scottish Terrier

Cool GOT it.... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
OK. I ordered it. It better be faithin' good. I'm tired of making an effort to try to like their music. Red Face

Tongue

Initial observations:

1) Good thing Mike found them, 'cause he makes this album his.... well, let's just say there's blow dryers involved.... Tongue Shocked

2) It IS kinda like Daydream. Not quite as good, but definitely has its moments.

3) As such, it's already better than two out of the last three previous Dogs releases. Tongue

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by carl: 07-20-2005 09:04.

07-19-2005 19:18 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List
bereal bereal is a female
Golden Retriever

images/avatars/avatar-230.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2005

I like it, but it certainly is different than anything they've ever done. What amazes me is the talent these guys employ. Wow! Pleased

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Smile
07-20-2005 00:26 bereal is offline Send an Email to bereal Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Scottish Terrier

Thumb Up! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Oh yeah, two more:

4) The liner notes serve as ample reinforcement that Mike has become quite the lovable old eccentric. Big Grin

5) At 35+ minutes, I'm pretty sure it's also the longest Dogs release since Real Men Bite. Tongue

Seriously, though, "Lover's Lanai" and "Out on the Veranda" are quite lovely.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by carl: 07-20-2005 09:21.

07-20-2005 09:04 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List
Audiori J
unregistered

Yeah I think the instrumental thing (Island Dreams) is not what you
buy if you are looking for a regular Lost Dogs 'album'. The same
way Daydreams is not a regular 77s album.

Some people don't get into instrumentals much, but I have grown
fond of listening to them in my car. Sort of relaxing, which is nice
with all the idiots on the road.

As for instrumentals go, this one is pleasing to listen to. C. Glass's
vocals add something I think to. The "Riki Tiki" stuff. Smile

Mike's guitar parts are just right in the mix.

The album is not for everybody, but its pretty good and enjoyable.

As for MUTT, to me, it seems to get better with age. Maybe its having
seen the guys do these songs live...but I enjoy it much more now than
I did when I bought it. I find it an interesting release really, McCartney
used to stay away from doing Beatles material in concert. He wanted
to seperate his solo stuff from that. Then eventually, he said in an
interview, that there is such a wealth of great songs that everyone
wants to hear....why not play some? And now he mixes them in to
his live show.

I see MUTT similar, Mike, Terry and Derri have all written some great
songs over the years. Why keep them seperate? People enjoy hearing
those songs. Some are masterpieces. (I agree not all of their 'band'
songs would fit in the Lost Dogs...but some do.) They have done
covers of other people's work...that fits...why not do covers of
each others work that fits? Its a great collection of songs.
07-20-2005 09:34
jiminy
Dachshund

hear hear audi j

I agree-
My daughter has never heard Kalhouns "If You want To"...yet.
(I'll git round to it for her)-
but has claimed it as one of her favorite Dogs tunes..which it is !

Even Mike said at the C Stone show "When I sing this next one now- it comes out the way I hear Terry do it . Its better than my version (para)
He was refering to LFEP of L

Regardless of ones personal take on I.D. (Which I love)
No one can deny that it is a well crafted work.
Are there any reviews on it anywhere?

I felt the same way bout Mutt- and had to replace my copy at C-stone- I borrowed it out to Child..adn never got it back!

07-20-2005 10:23 jiminy is offline Send an Email to jiminy Search for Posts by jiminy Add jiminy to your Buddy List
Audiori J
unregistered

We've sent off some review copies of lsland Dreams, Making
of Beuchners, and Larry Lucy I'm In Love to various places
ourselves. None have posted reviews yet, but we figure some
of these people go to all the summer fests and may not get
much done until the fest season is over. Thats a guess.

Also, I had originally wanted to post something about how I think
these MUTT songs become stronger after going through this.
But wasn't sure how to say it. Reinventing them to a degree,
I think, makes the song even stronger than it was before.
What each guy adds to the others song makes the song stronger..
maybe thats the way to say it. Its subtle but stronger, the song
is not changed that much, but slight differences.
07-20-2005 10:28
pmac pmac is a male
Miniature Pinscher

images/avatars/avatar-123.jpg

Registration Date: 04-10-2005

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J

As for MUTT, to me, it seems to get better with age. Maybe its having
seen the guys do these songs live...but I enjoy it much more now than
I did when I bought it...

Hearing/seeing it performed made a big difference for us. Especially after hearing Terry go on about how much he liked Sunshine Down... made me go back and read the lyrics a bit more closely... and grew to appreciate the song more...

... on the other hand, "Grace is the Smell of Rain" still has my scratching my head... Confused

07-20-2005 20:21 pmac is offline Send an Email to pmac Search for Posts by pmac Add pmac to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of pmac: Patrick McNamara YIM Account Name of pmac: Patrick McNamara View the MSN Profile for pmac
Alex Alex is a male
Miniature Pinscher

images/avatars/avatar-147.jpg

Registration Date: 07-18-2005

I don't consider "MUTT" a "must- have". It's my least favourite Dog's CD. I prefer most original versions. The new recordings sounds overall too mellow and sad for me. That style fitted well to "NCT" but not to the whole "MUTT" idea. It should be a fun recording with some elements from the first two recordings like bluegrass, electric guitar, etc. I think it's a nice addition for the die- hard fan who buys just anything. Sorry, just my opinion. I ordered "Island Dreams" anway.

Alex

Bis die Hölle gefriert: www.freak-alex-band.com

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Alex: 07-21-2005 02:04.

07-21-2005 02:03 Alex is offline Send an Email to Alex Homepage of Alex Search for Posts by Alex Add Alex to your Buddy List
Pages (5): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Lost Dogs Message Board » On Topic Discussion » CD & DVD Reviews » Lost Dogs - Island Dreams

Virtual-Turk
Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.4, Developed by WoltLab GmbH