Lost Dogs Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Lost Dogs Message Board » On Topic Discussion » General Discussion » Who was/is the best Lost Dogs singer? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Who was/is the best Lost Dogs singer?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Cert
Border Collie

Registration Date: 04-30-2005

Who was/is the best Lost Dogs singer? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

There was something soothing about Gene Eugene's singing, and Derri Daugherty's is probably the most soothing now.

When all 3 are singing together, that is probably the most magical.

They're all good, to be sure.

Cert

05-14-2005 14:28 Cert is offline Search for Posts by Cert Add Cert to your Buddy List
Bret Bret is a male
Beagle

Registration Date: 03-23-2005

RE: Who was/is the best Lost Dogs singer? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Cert
There was something soothing about Gene Eugene's singing, and Derri Daugherty's is probably the most soothing now.

When all 3 are singing together, that is probably the most magical.

They're all good, to be sure.

Cert

Being a fan of Daniel Amos and the 77's, it was Terry & Mike, who caused me to get the "Scenic Routes" cd. The Lost Dogs introduced me to Derri and Gene, as well as the Choir and Adam Again.

Personally, I was really drawn to the songs that Gene sang lead on, like "Last Testament of Angus Shane", "I Can't Say Goodbye", "Fortunate Sons", "Dunce Cap", "Jimmy", etc. I think that those songs were some that put some serious hooks into my being a fan.

05-14-2005 15:52 Bret is offline Send an Email to Bret Homepage of Bret Search for Posts by Bret Add Bret to your Buddy List
Audiori J
unregistered
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I had all the albums by all four bands before buyng Scenic Routes,
at that time Adam Again was probably my least favorite. I was
not as much a fan of Gene's voice at that time. But after the Dog's
albums came out that changed, I like his voice more on the Dog's
albums than I did on his own albums. Not sure what changed to me,
unless its just the setting. I've listened to all four of them
for so long, its hard for me to pick though. I like all four beause
of the differences, and generally I think it seems they pick the right
singer for the right song.
05-16-2005 09:01
larryl
Collie

images/avatars/avatar-226.jpg

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

i honestly can't remember if i got speckled bird first, or scenic routes....one of those two was my first exposure to these fine people....

that said.....i, like bret, find myself leaning toward the gene sung tunes, but i would not be able to say which is the "best" as they are all so different...

crying in the dark

05-16-2005 09:09 larryl is offline Send an Email to larryl Homepage of larryl Search for Posts by larryl Add larryl to your Buddy List
phreaq phreaq is a male
Scottish Terrier

images/avatars/avatar-15.jpg

Mike Roe, hands down for me...

the elastic voice of Mike going from gravely blues to crooning falsetto and everything inbetween never fails to impress.

~f

05-16-2005 09:54 phreaq is offline Send an Email to phreaq Search for Posts by phreaq Add phreaq to your Buddy List
Cert
Border Collie

Thread Starter Thread Started by Cert

He does have a heck of a wide range, come to think of it. On "Safe as Milk" he uses the high one a lot, which is why that one sounded weird to me the first time I heard it.

05-16-2005 10:37 Cert is offline Search for Posts by Cert Add Cert to your Buddy List
Jace Jace is a male
Miniature Pinscher

images/avatars/avatar-62.jpg

Registration Date: 03-29-2005

The Lost Dogs are a band with no lead singer. They are effectively a new version of old style four part harmony bands. It like asking who had the best voice in the Beach Boys. Sure, each member takes turn at lead in a song, but the sum is greater than each part alone.

05-16-2005 13:48 Jace is offline Send an Email to Jace Search for Posts by Jace Add Jace to your Buddy List
carl carl is a male
Scottish Terrier

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by phreaq

the elastic voice of Mike going from gravely blues to crooning falsetto and everything inbetween never fails to impress.

~f

Amen. Although you don't get as much of that within the Dogs.

Conversely, Derri actually sounds good with/among them. Tongue

05-16-2005 14:00 carl is offline Send an Email to carl Search for Posts by carl Add carl to your Buddy List
Audiori J
unregistered

To me its like asking who is the better singer...on;

The last Testament of Angus Shane
Why Is The Devil Red?
Honey Suckle Breeze
Lovely Man

I can't imagine anyone else singing those, like Jace said,
"but the sum is greater than each part alone."
The strength is they are all extremely good in different ways,
they are even stronger as a combined force.
05-16-2005 14:10
Cert
Border Collie

I listened to the "Real Men Cry" cd yesterday; and its amazing how well they still sound even without Gene. I wonder if there was purposely more harmony on that album because maybe there was an insecurity without Gene there, at first.

But as they sing on the cd: "the three-legged dog is still pretty good." Cool

05-16-2005 14:43 Cert is offline Search for Posts by Cert Add Cert to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Collie

images/avatars/avatar-229.jpg

Cool Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Terry Scott Taylor, hands down... nobody else even comes close...
Gene second..
Mike a close third...
and Derri a distant fourth..... Red Face

carman is a good artist! he's made me smile on many an ocasion with his wit and his fun songs. it horrifys me to see all you people bagging on the man. this bord is almost to much for me. i wonder if i've stumbled into a pit of despair! ~tOr

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Joey T.: 05-16-2005 16:19.

05-16-2005 16:18 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005
dennis dennis is a male
Chow Chow

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
To me its like asking who is the better singer...on;

The last Testament of Angus Shane
Why Is The Devil Red?
Honey Suckle Breeze
Lovely Man

I can't imagine anyone else singing those, like Jace said,
"but the sum is greater than each part alone."
The strength is they are all extremely good in different ways,
they are even stronger as a combined force.

Yup!

05-16-2005 16:49 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of dennis: dralphr34
Bret Bret is a male
Beagle

quote:
Originally posted by phreaq

~f

I really didn't want to put any comments in this thread, because to me, it's similar to how do you answer your wife when she asks "Do these jeans make my butt look big".

I love all the Dogs, in their own unique way. I still agree that the songs I listed above really grabbed me.

The songs of Mike's that I really like include "Smokescreen" and "New Physics", "Real Men Cry", and I will always love the song "Hey I Don't Love You".

Mike's guitar work is also the other wonderful part of his being one of the Dog's!

Hands down, my favorite song lead by Derri is "All That Remains".

And Terry...probably "Mercy Again", "Eleanor, It's Raining Now" or "Imagine That". "Ditto" almost slipped by there...

Please don't sucker me into these discussions again.

Big Grin

05-16-2005 19:33 Bret is offline Send an Email to Bret Homepage of Bret Search for Posts by Bret Add Bret to your Buddy List
bereal bereal is a female
Golden Retriever

images/avatars/avatar-230.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2005

Derri

End of discussion!

jk, actually, they all sing well and it's hard to compare them, although Derri is my favorite of the three because his voice is the smoothest, I enjoy all 3 of them because they are all three very talented musicians. And Gene Crying What more can be said? I miss his voice on the newer albums. Frown

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Smile
05-17-2005 15:33 bereal is offline Send an Email to bereal Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Chow Chow

Gene always sang in tune in concert the most! Tongue

05-17-2005 21:12 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of dennis: dralphr34
Cert
Border Collie

quote:
Originally posted by dennis

Hmmm, I never heard the song "In Tune". Is it any good?

Tongue Wink

05-18-2005 12:25 Cert is offline Search for Posts by Cert Add Cert to your Buddy List
dennis dennis is a male
Chow Chow

Tongue Roll Eyes Tongue

05-18-2005 18:57 dennis is offline Send an Email to dennis Search for Posts by dennis Add dennis to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of dennis: dralphr34
bereal bereal is a female
Golden Retriever

images/avatars/avatar-230.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2005

quote:
Originally posted by dennis

I never got to hear him in concert. Frown Crying

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Smile
05-19-2005 22:20 bereal is offline Send an Email to bereal Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
rob 3.0 rob 3.0 is a male
Border Collie

images/avatars/avatar-232.jpg

The answer of course is Mike Roe Red Face

~Mike Roe
05-25-2005 14:23 rob 3.0 is offline Send an Email to rob 3.0 Homepage of rob 3.0 Search for Posts by rob 3.0 Add rob 3.0 to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of rob 3.0: digitalrob3 YIM Account Name of rob 3.0: flashfan77
phreaq phreaq is a male
Scottish Terrier

images/avatars/avatar-15.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by rob 3.0
The answer of course is Mike Roe Red Face

You said it Rob! The one and only correct answer!

Tongue

~f

05-26-2005 12:35 phreaq is offline Send an Email to phreaq Search for Posts by phreaq Add phreaq to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Lost Dogs Message Board » On Topic Discussion » General Discussion » Who was/is the best Lost Dogs singer?

Virtual-Turk
Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.4, Developed by WoltLab GmbH