Lost Dogs Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Lost Dogs Message Board » On Topic Discussion » General Discussion » Recommendations on DA, Choir, Adam Again? » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Recommendations on DA, Choir, Adam Again?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
pmac pmac is a male
Miniature Pinscher

images/avatars/avatar-123.jpg

Registration Date: 04-10-2005

Recommendations on DA, Choir, Adam Again? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Hi All...

Many moons ago, I used to rely quite a bit on True Tunes News for music recommendations... which got me hooked on the 77s, and eventually, The Lost Dogs.

I've gotten more curious, especially after listening to Mutt, about the other bands that preceded the Dogs... Daniel Amos, the Choir, Adam Again. I have no DA music, one Choir (Circle Slide), one Adam Again (Homeboys)... both of which I think are OK, not as personally appealing to me as a lot of the 77s stuff...

... but I'd like to look into more of all those bands. Problem is, this is not stuff I'm going to readily hear anywhere, or even easily find opinions on.

Any recommendations on any of these bands? Favorites? Stuff to avoid?

...thanks...

04-21-2005 22:10 pmac is offline Send an Email to pmac Search for Posts by pmac Add pmac to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of pmac: Patrick McNamara YIM Account Name of pmac: Patrick McNamara View the MSN Profile for pmac
PuP
Scottish Terrier

images/avatars/avatar-39.gif

Registration Date: 03-23-2005

RE: Recommendations on DA, Choir, Adam Again? Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Seriously, I think most people here would recommend that you get everything by all the bands you just named plus their solo work and the Swirling Eddies.

Personally, I am on a mission to own everything Terry Taylor was ever associated with. Of course, I suck at achieving goals, but I least I have a goal!

BTW, start with Mr. Buechner's Dream if you are going to get into DA. And pick up Outdoor Elvis or Zoom Daddy by the Swirling Eddies (DA's other identity).

04-22-2005 00:12 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
bereal bereal is a female
Golden Retriever

images/avatars/avatar-230.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2005

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I agree with PuP on the DA and Swirling Eddies front.

As for the Dogs, I would recommend some of their earlier stuff since you really like the 77s. Little Red Riding Hood, Green Room Serenade Vol. 1 and Scenic Routes precede Gene's death and are really rockin'. Good luck finding them, but they are great.

Personally I enjoy all of the Dogs stuff, even the newer stuff, Real Men Cry and Nazarene Crying Towel are great, although they are missing a lot of Gene's influence. Gift Horse was before Gene's death but is much more mellow than the previous 3 (LRRH, GRS and SR).

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Smile
04-22-2005 09:42 bereal is offline Send an Email to bereal Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
BigDork
Old English Sheepdog

images/avatars/avatar-314.jpg

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

DA: Motorcycle - Mr. B's Dream

The Eddies: ALL OF THEM (well, maybe not Sacred Cows at first Roll Eyes )

The Choir: Speckled Bird - the newest one

Adam Again: Perfecta is a must!!!! and then Dig

04-22-2005 09:52 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
bereal bereal is a female
Golden Retriever

images/avatars/avatar-230.gif

I didn't read your post very well. I can't recommend much Adam Again, but The Choir, get O How The Mighty Have Fallen (the new one). Besides that, my favorite is Circle Slide, which you've already heard.

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Smile
04-22-2005 09:55 bereal is offline Send an Email to bereal Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
phreaq phreaq is a male
Scottish Terrier

images/avatars/avatar-15.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by BigDork

WHAT BD SAID - Would be my recommendation 100%.

Go for it PMAC... you have some great listening ahead!!

~f

04-22-2005 11:04 phreaq is offline Send an Email to phreaq Search for Posts by phreaq Add phreaq to your Buddy List
Jace Jace is a male
Miniature Pinscher

images/avatars/avatar-62.jpg

Registration Date: 03-29-2005

For the Adam Again stuff, I'd recommend you try and find the "Best of" that Eugene put together in 1999. It's a great compilation covering all the best of AA albums.

04-22-2005 11:14 Jace is offline Send an Email to Jace Search for Posts by Jace Add Jace to your Buddy List
pmac pmac is a male
Miniature Pinscher

Thread Starter Thread Started by pmac

quote:
Originally posted by bereal
I didn't read your post very well.

Well, the LD recommendations were all good, even if I owned them all already. Smile

04-22-2005 19:20 pmac is offline Send an Email to pmac Search for Posts by pmac Add pmac to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of pmac: Patrick McNamara YIM Account Name of pmac: Patrick McNamara View the MSN Profile for pmac
pmac pmac is a male
Miniature Pinscher

quote:
Originally posted by phreaq
quote:
Originally posted by BigDork

WHAT BD SAID - Would be my recommendation 100%.

Go for it PMAC... you have some great listening ahead!!

~f

Lots of recommendations, thanks to all for the suggestions. Purchasing will proceed as the wallet (and/or wife) allows.

Wink

04-22-2005 19:24 pmac is offline Send an Email to pmac Search for Posts by pmac Add pmac to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of pmac: Patrick McNamara YIM Account Name of pmac: Patrick McNamara View the MSN Profile for pmac
MuddyRashes MuddyRashes is a male
Miniature Poodle

images/avatars/avatar-47.gif

Free Flying Soul gets neglected too much.

04-22-2005 22:35 MuddyRashes is offline Send an Email to MuddyRashes Search for Posts by MuddyRashes Add MuddyRashes to your Buddy List
Scabhelmet Scabhelmet is a male
Scottish Terrier

images/avatars/avatar-133.jpg

Registration Date: 04-05-2005

I'm sorry, but I thought Mr. Buechner's Dream was the weakest of all the DA albums I've heard. Maybe I just didn't give it enough of a chance? Is the general consensus here that MBD is one of their best?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Scabhelmet: 04-27-2005 12:52.

04-27-2005 12:47 Scabhelmet is offline Send an Email to Scabhelmet Search for Posts by Scabhelmet Add Scabhelmet to your Buddy List
PuP
Scottish Terrier

MBD rates high on my list. I'd put it up there with Motor Cycle and DFBB.

'Course I actually like them all pretty well, so I'm not very objective...

04-27-2005 21:53 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
BigDork
Old English Sheepdog

quote:
Originally posted by Scabhelmet
I'm sorry, but I thought Mr. Buechner's Dream was the weakest of all the DA albums I've heard. Maybe I just didn't give it enough of a chance? Is the general consensus here that MBD is one of their best?

I think it just has too many song on it. Frown

But if you ask 10 people what should be the track list for a single CD, you would get 10 different lists. MBD has something for everyone. Cool

04-27-2005 22:25 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
phreaq phreaq is a male
Scottish Terrier

images/avatars/avatar-15.jpg

MBD is amazing.

it is two different albums in my book...

"...and so it goes" - is an amazing set of tunes in my book...

"buechners dream" well that definitely took more than a couple of listens - it is a winner for me... I put it up there with some of their best releases.

~f

04-28-2005 07:50 phreaq is offline Send an Email to phreaq Search for Posts by phreaq Add phreaq to your Buddy List
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Golden Retriever

images/avatars/avatar-274.jpg

DA: Darn Floor-Big Bite & Mr. Buechner's Dream

Choir: Circle Slide & Speckled Bird

Adam Again: Ten Songs & Dig
04-28-2005 10:55 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
inconsolablelonging
Chihuahua

Registration Date: 03-26-2005

Definitely Free Flying Soul by the Choir

Anything by Terry Taylor except "Bibleland" by DA probably their weakest offering but it takes getting use to.

of course A Briefing for the Ascent by Taylor but it's musically verrrry different.

04-28-2005 18:50 inconsolablelonging is offline Send an Email to inconsolablelonging Search for Posts by inconsolablelonging Add inconsolablelonging to your Buddy List
PuP
Scottish Terrier

I like Bibleland a lot. If there is a "weakest" DA album for me, it is "Daniel Amos".

04-28-2005 22:07 PuP is offline Send an Email to PuP Search for Posts by PuP Add PuP to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for PuP
BigDork
Old English Sheepdog

quote:
MBD is amazing.

it is two different albums in my book...

"...and so it goes" - is an amazing set of tunes in my book...

"buechners dream" well that definitely took more than a couple of listens - it is a winner for me... I put it up there with some of their best releases.

~f

I do listen to ...and so it goes way more than the first disc. Cool

04-29-2005 00:18 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
Kula Bocca
Golden Retriever

images/avatars/avatar-45.gif

Thank Goodness for the two of you who mentioned Free Flying Soul. It is hands down the best Choir CD and one of the 5 best albums of all time Pleased

04-29-2005 01:46 Kula Bocca is offline Send an Email to Kula Bocca Homepage of Kula Bocca Search for Posts by Kula Bocca Add Kula Bocca to your Buddy List
pmac pmac is a male
Miniature Pinscher

quote:

...that definitely took more than a couple of listens...

~f

... and the ones that take more than a couple of listens usually end up being the ones that I enjoy more over the long haul... as opposed to something that I may think is wonderful on the first listen!

04-29-2005 07:09 pmac is offline Send an Email to pmac Search for Posts by pmac Add pmac to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of pmac: Patrick McNamara YIM Account Name of pmac: Patrick McNamara View the MSN Profile for pmac
Pages (2): [1] 2 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Lost Dogs Message Board » On Topic Discussion » General Discussion » Recommendations on DA, Choir, Adam Again?

Virtual-Turk
Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.4, Developed by WoltLab GmbH