Lost Dogs Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Lost Dogs Message Board » On Topic Discussion » Concert Reviews and Pics » Dogs - Somerset NJ 7/6/07 » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (4): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Dogs - Somerset NJ 7/6/07
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Big Jim
Miniature Pinscher

images/avatars/avatar-293.jpg

Registration Date: 03-23-2005

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Jim, do you have the web address Chris gave when he was speaking during the intermission? I'd love to "tune in" from the web on Sundays, if possible. It would be great to share the music with my friends and family here in the South Jersey area. Thanks!

Zudrak, the above link www.liu.edu will get you there, but the direct link appears to be http://www.liu.edu/cwis/cwp/radio/wcwp/wcwp_webradio.html -- this one is broadcast from until 4 pm to 7 pm on Sundays. It is also broadcast on Friday nights at 10 pm here: www.webradiowcwp.org (click on the "Listen" tab and select a format). Chris also has a MySpace site here: http://www.myspace.com/grandfatherrock

I missed most of what Chris (aka Grandfather Rock) said as I was coming back from the fellowship hall - during intermission, he asked if he could put a plug in for his radio show and since I didn't have anything planned beyond the ticket giveaways, I said sure why not - as long as it's okay with the band... I forget to tune in most weekends, but from what I have heard, he does play a great selection of music. Wish there were more stations like this out there supporting independent artists!

07-16-2007 09:19 Big Jim is offline Send an Email to Big Jim Homepage of Big Jim Search for Posts by Big Jim Add Big Jim to your Buddy List Add Big Jim to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of Big Jim: LeslieLet YIM Account Name of Big Jim: LeslieLet View the MSN Profile for Big Jim
Big Jim
Miniature Pinscher

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I never say all that I want to say to the band members at these shows (i.e. why didn't I tell Terry how brilliant the "Surfonic" CD/concept was, ask Mike how the 77's were doing on the gospel/blues album, find out when the next Choir release might happen, etc., etc.), I did take the opportunity to ask Steve how he and Marc Byrd came up with "God of Wonders". I wouldn't want to misquote him, but I believe he mentioned that the concept for the City on a Hill project came first. Within that context, Steve and Marc set to work on a song that would be HUGE in its scope, encompassing all of creation; and coming from an Episcopal background, Steve mentioned that the Common Book of Prayer was a big inspiration to him as well for this song. I thought this was a very cool and intesting tidbit worthy of mention on this forum.

Also, for selfish reasons, I'm trying to breathe life into a dead thread, lol...

07-20-2007 08:51 Big Jim is offline Send an Email to Big Jim Homepage of Big Jim Search for Posts by Big Jim Add Big Jim to your Buddy List Add Big Jim to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of Big Jim: LeslieLet YIM Account Name of Big Jim: LeslieLet View the MSN Profile for Big Jim
Zudrak Zudrak is a male
Dachshund

images/avatars/avatar-260.jpg

Registration Date: 07-17-2006

Not to toot my own horn (I play saxophone and plan on learning bass), Steve told me that there are no Choir plans ATM. I think my mom-in-law is disappointed because she is really taking to Derri's voice and their music when I play it. I may have to loan her my Choir Collection. Smile

*grabs the paddles*

CLEAR!

*ZZZZT!*

I pronounce this thread revived. Wink

I know what you mean, though, Jim. I forgot to mention to Terry how much I love the first Poor Old Lu album (he produced it). I did remember to tell Steve how much I love The Prayer Chain. If they were still around, they'd be my #1 favorite band. Alas...

I forgot to tell Mike that Michael IV LOVES "Perfect Blues" and he & I have often "jammed" to it in his room. Hockey sticks make great air guitars! He also loves the chorus to "It's For You". It IS easy to remember.

-Psalm 73:26

07-20-2007 13:46 Zudrak is offline Send an Email to Zudrak Search for Posts by Zudrak Add Zudrak to your Buddy List
Big Jim
Miniature Pinscher

Smile lol - thanks...

Sorry to hear that about the Choir (thanks for passing that along). I'm sure that all of the Dogs are keeping busy with their other "side projects"... Smile

Yeah, I really digged (dug?) the Prayer Chain too... They had a really big sound.

Sounds like you're raising your son to appreciate good music! Smile I'm trying to do the same with my boys...

You and your mother-in-law are in my prayers. I had no idea that the loss of your wife was so fresh until I read your bio.

Earth has no sorrow that heaven can't heal -- and one day you'll see her again over yonder... Can't imagine what you're dealing with right now on this side of heaven though... I'm sure it's a big comfort to know that she is in no pain and that since she is now absent from the body, she is now present with the Lord...

07-20-2007 14:35 Big Jim is offline Send an Email to Big Jim Homepage of Big Jim Search for Posts by Big Jim Add Big Jim to your Buddy List Add Big Jim to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of Big Jim: LeslieLet YIM Account Name of Big Jim: LeslieLet View the MSN Profile for Big Jim
Zudrak Zudrak is a male
Dachshund

quote:
Originally posted by Big Jim
Smile lol - thanks...

Sorry to hear that about the Choir (thanks for passing that along). I'm sure that all of the Dogs are keeping busy with their other "side projects"... Smile

Yeah, I really digged (dug?) the Prayer Chain too... They had a really big sound.

Sounds like you're raising your son to appreciate good music! Smile I'm trying to do the same with my boys...

You and your mother-in-law are in my prayers. I had no idea that the loss of your wife was so fresh until I read your bio.

Earth has no sorrow that heaven can't heal -- and one day you'll see her again over yonder... Can't imagine what you're dealing with right now on this side of heaven though... I'm sure it's a big comfort to know that she is in no pain and that since she is now absent from the body, she is now present with the Lord...

The Prayer Chain was the second band (The Choir was the first) that my wife'd never heard of that I introduced to her. She liked The Choir. She LOVED The Prayer Chain. She was all about the aggro-rock. She liked Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and especially Stone Temple Pilots at the time. So, when I put The Prayer Chain on with the melodic aggressive chant of "Crawl", she was hooked. We would put that in whenever we drove to the shore (where I asked her out, where I proposed to her, and where we spent our honeymoon). Nothing like the beach. In fact, the last trip she ever took with us was down to Sunset Beach in Cape May. Crying

Like you said -- and I hope I reflected it, that no matter how sad I feel for myself, my son, and her mom; I am totally elated that she no longer suffers and that she is healed forever more! I told a non-believing relative that it's like the first Sorry! piece in the board game. She is "home": immovable and forever secure.

She is no longer my bride, but a part of Jesus' bride and she's in much better hands. Big Grin

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Zudrak: 07-20-2007 15:39.

07-20-2007 15:36 Zudrak is offline Send an Email to Zudrak Search for Posts by Zudrak Add Zudrak to your Buddy List
pmac pmac is a male
Miniature Pinscher

images/avatars/avatar-123.jpg

Registration Date: 04-10-2005

quote:
Originally posted by Zudrak
I know what you mean, though, Jim. I forgot to mention to Terry how much I love the first Poor Old Lu album (he produced it). I did remember to tell Steve how much I love The Prayer Chain. If they were still around, they'd be my #1 favorite band. Alas...

So I read this and wonder "What does Steve Hindalong have to do with The Prayer Chain?" So I go over and look at my Prayer Chain CDs, and sure enough, see he's the producer, which I never noticed before! You learn something new every day!

Pleased

The Prayer Chain's a great band. Of course, coming of age musically in the 80s, I think they do a great cover of Echo and the Bunnymen's "The Cutter" on their 4 song Live CD. But their other stuff is cool too...

Cool

07-20-2007 22:50 pmac is offline Send an Email to pmac Search for Posts by pmac Add pmac to your Buddy List AIM Screen Name of pmac: Patrick McNamara YIM Account Name of pmac: Patrick McNamara View the MSN Profile for pmac
Big Jim
Miniature Pinscher

quote:
Here's the set list that I wrote down. I am missing the first song of the encore, as I was about to write it when they began asking folks to join them onstage. So, the pen and paper fell to the pew as I made my way forward.

1) Imagine That
2) Bullet Train
3) Devils Elbow
4) (Swirling Eddies' new song)
5) If You Loved Here, You'd Be Home By Now
6) Get Me Ready
7) If You Want To
(intermission)
Cool Burn It Up
9) Broken Like Brooklyn
10) No Room for Us
11) That's Where Jesus Is
12) Eleanor, It's Raining Now
(intermission)
Encore:
13) ???
14) Breathe Deep
15) Knockin' on Heaven's Door

If one of the Dogs or anyone else (crew, fans, etc.) wants to let us know what song #13 was, that would be great. Sad that I cannot remember for the life of me. I'm usually really good at that.

Well, turns out you ARE good at this... Smile You have it all correct and "Breathe Deep" was the first song of the encore. I listened to the recording from the board this weekend (it was recorded at too high of a level, but I'm going to see about getting a better sound mix). Through listening though, I got a chance to verify your set list and relive the concert. In between these songs, there was of course much banter and frivolity between the guys and I won't give too much of that away (some things have to be left a surprise) until this tour is complete!

You guys probably saw this on the Chattanooga thread, but the new Swirling Eddies CD is being shipped tomorrow (7/23)! This was news to me, but may not be news to you. Can't wait to hear this one, esp. after hearing "It all Depends"....

07-22-2007 20:58 Big Jim is offline Send an Email to Big Jim Homepage of Big Jim Search for Posts by Big Jim Add Big Jim to your Buddy List Add Big Jim to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of Big Jim: LeslieLet YIM Account Name of Big Jim: LeslieLet View the MSN Profile for Big Jim
Zudrak Zudrak is a male
Dachshund

quote:
quote:
Here's the set list that I wrote down. I am missing the first song of the encore, as I was about to write it when they began asking folks to join them onstage. So, the pen and paper fell to the pew as I made my way forward.

1) Imagine That
2) Bullet Train
3) Devils Elbow
4) (Swirling Eddies' new song)
5) If You Loved Here, You'd Be Home By Now
6) Get Me Ready
7) If You Want To
(intermission)
Cool Burn It Up
9) Broken Like Brooklyn
10) No Room for Us
11) That's Where Jesus Is
12) Eleanor, It's Raining Now
(intermission)
Encore:
13) ???
14) Breathe Deep
15) Knockin' on Heaven's Door

If one of the Dogs or anyone else (crew, fans, etc.) wants to let us know what song #13 was, that would be great. Sad that I cannot remember for the life of me. I'm usually really good at that.

Well, turns out you ARE good at this... Smile You have it all correct and "Breathe Deep" was the first song of the encore. I listened to the recording from the board this weekend (it was recorded at too high of a level, but I'm going to see about getting a better sound mix). Through listening though, I got a chance to verify your set list and relive the concert. In between these songs, there was of course much banter and frivolity between the guys and I won't give too much of that away (some things have to be left a surprise) until this tour is complete!

You guys probably saw this on the Chattanooga thread, but the new Swirling Eddies CD is being shipped tomorrow (7/23)! This was news to me, but may not be news to you. Can't wait to hear this one, esp. after hearing "It all Depends"....

Huh. I'll say I must be like an elevator -- no #13. Wink Actually, it was probably that aforementioned shock of being asked to join them onstage that threw me off. Thanks for confirming I am still (somewhat) sane, Jim!

I would have to learn shorthand in order to fit all of the "tweener banter" onto my 2" x 3" note sheets. Shocked Definitely a "you had to be there" sort of thing and I hope to bring more friends and family to the concert next time around. It was great meeting friends of a mutual friend an hour away from home, too. Talk about a "small world".

BTW, I also pre-ordered the Eddies' new disc -- last night in fact. I cannot wait to receive that.

Michael

07-22-2007 21:56 Zudrak is offline Send an Email to Zudrak Search for Posts by Zudrak Add Zudrak to your Buddy List
DaLe DaLe is a male
Beagle

images/avatars/avatar-206.jpg

Registration Date: 04-20-2005
Location: MiNNeSoTa - HeRe we put salt on the Roads... Lord, Help me be Salt of the Earth - NoT Salt in the Wound. so, take most everything I SaY HeRe with a grain of Salt !

quote:
until this tour is complete!....

Did SoMeoNe say

Roll Eyes

Lur King just fishing...

07-23-2007 07:56 DaLe is offline Send an Email to DaLe Search for Posts by DaLe Add DaLe to your Buddy List
Big Jim
Miniature Pinscher

quote:
Originally posted by DaLe
quote:

Did SoMeoNe say

Huh?? I'm lost... Smile

Dale - I see you're from Minnesota - that's where I grew up... Plymouth to be exact (suburb of Minneapolis) - maybe you've heard of it?

07-24-2007 09:46 Big Jim is offline Send an Email to Big Jim Homepage of Big Jim Search for Posts by Big Jim Add Big Jim to your Buddy List Add Big Jim to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of Big Jim: LeslieLet YIM Account Name of Big Jim: LeslieLet View the MSN Profile for Big Jim
DaLe DaLe is a male
Beagle

Location: MiNNeSoTa - HeRe we put salt on the Roads... Lord, Help me be Salt of the Earth - NoT Salt in the Wound. so, take most everything I SaY HeRe with a grain of Salt !

quote:
quote:
quote:

Did SoMeoNe say

Huh?? I'm lost... Smile

Dale - I see you're from Minnesota - that's where I grew up... Plymouth to be exact (suburb of Minneapolis) - maybe you've heard of it?

bootleg recording! of the show! (so much for my lurker MoDe) Tongue

YuP, I have heard of Plymouth... Roll Eyes
I live in Golden Valley ( in the Armstrong Falcon's district ) Pleased

07-24-2007 10:42 DaLe is offline Send an Email to DaLe Search for Posts by DaLe Add DaLe to your Buddy List
Big Jim
Miniature Pinscher

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Did SoMeoNe say

Huh?? I'm lost... Smile

bootleg recording! of the show! (so much for my lurker MoDe) Tongue

YuP, I have heard of Plymouth... Roll Eyes
I live in Golden Valley ( in the Armstrong Falcon's district ) Pleased

07-24-2007 10:45 Big Jim is offline Send an Email to Big Jim Homepage of Big Jim Search for Posts by Big Jim Add Big Jim to your Buddy List Add Big Jim to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of Big Jim: LeslieLet YIM Account Name of Big Jim: LeslieLet View the MSN Profile for Big Jim
Big Jim
Miniature Pinscher

Bootleg... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

ARG! I did it again - replied without actually replying. Anyways, duh, bootleg - of course that's what you meant. I was thinking something along the lines of giving someone the boot and couldn't make sense of it... Roll Eyes

Re: a bootleg, not sure about that - would have to be an authorized one... Gonna run it by the good doctor first. Right now, the sound quality isn't so great. Most of the guitar stuff sounds good, but the vocals peak out and didn't come out so good. On the night of the show, I asked the sound engineer to hit the record button and hoped for the best. Didn't have time to set the levels, etc., nor did I know how to do any of that stuff. Anyways, we'll see.

Golden Valley - of course, I know where that is - only a couple of towns over from where I grew up... Sorry to blow your cover/lurker status! Smile

07-24-2007 10:52 Big Jim is offline Send an Email to Big Jim Homepage of Big Jim Search for Posts by Big Jim Add Big Jim to your Buddy List Add Big Jim to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of Big Jim: LeslieLet YIM Account Name of Big Jim: LeslieLet View the MSN Profile for Big Jim
DaLe DaLe is a male
Beagle

RE: Bootleg... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Golden Valley - of course, I know where that is - only a couple of towns over from where I grew up... Smile

chk your PM's

(that stands for privatel message) Tongue

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by DaLe: 07-25-2007 10:44.

07-25-2007 10:44 DaLe is offline Send an Email to DaLe Search for Posts by DaLe Add DaLe to your Buddy List
Big Jim
Miniature Pinscher

RE: Bootleg... Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Got it - thanks Dale...

07-25-2007 15:19 Big Jim is offline Send an Email to Big Jim Homepage of Big Jim Search for Posts by Big Jim Add Big Jim to your Buddy List Add Big Jim to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of Big Jim: LeslieLet YIM Account Name of Big Jim: LeslieLet View the MSN Profile for Big Jim
Big Jim
Miniature Pinscher

No Room For Us Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

During the NJ show, the guys were not only funny, but there were a lot of meaningful monologues from each of the band members between the songs. We got a great sermonette from Terry ("thought for the evening") as well as a very special introduction from Derri to "No Room For Us" -- he talked about Gene Eugene and the warm memory of recording that song in the "Green Room" while it was raining outside during the winter around Christmas time (Derri mentioned that rain in SoCal is very unusual). He mentioned that there was a fire going in the fireplace and that Gene was tending to something (that something is an ambient noise you can actually hear most prominently at the beginning of the studio recording -- and it wasn't the fireplace).

Can anyone tell me what they think that noise is? Derri mentioned it in NJ and he probably mentioned it at other shows. If you've been to a show and already know the answer, please don't respond.

Anyways, that was a very cool moment.

Thanks...

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Big Jim: 07-28-2007 09:00.

07-27-2007 21:30 Big Jim is offline Send an Email to Big Jim Homepage of Big Jim Search for Posts by Big Jim Add Big Jim to your Buddy List Add Big Jim to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of Big Jim: LeslieLet YIM Account Name of Big Jim: LeslieLet View the MSN Profile for Big Jim
Big Jim
Miniature Pinscher

quote:
Zudrak, the above link www.liu.edu will get you there, but the direct link appears to be http://www.liu.edu/cwis/cwp/radio/wcwp/wcwp_webradio.html -- this one is broadcast from until 4 pm to 7 pm on Sundays. It is also broadcast on Friday nights at 10 pm here: www.webradiowcwp.org (click on the "Listen" tab and select a format).

I have that backwards. It's the exact opposite of what I have up there above. The LIU link is broadcast on Friday nights and the webradiowcp.org link broadcasts on Sunday 4-7 pm. Tuning in now and they are playing a Protokaw song. Not real familiar with them, but they are a good prog-rock band (a friend of mine is really into them -- this was a band that some members of Kansas were in before they were Kansas. They recently reassembled to make new music - sounds good... Anyways, just wanted to clarify when you can listen to each of the above links...

07-27-2007 22:30 Big Jim is offline Send an Email to Big Jim Homepage of Big Jim Search for Posts by Big Jim Add Big Jim to your Buddy List Add Big Jim to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of Big Jim: LeslieLet YIM Account Name of Big Jim: LeslieLet View the MSN Profile for Big Jim
trcf
Dachshund

images/avatars/avatar-257.jpg

RE: No Room For Us Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

If I remember correctly, Mike talked about it in Washington.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by trcf: 07-28-2007 08:56.

07-28-2007 08:52 trcf is offline Send an Email to trcf Homepage of trcf Search for Posts by trcf Add trcf to your Buddy List Add trcf to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of trcf: LeslieLet YIM Account Name of trcf: LeslieLet View the MSN Profile for trcf
Big Jim
Miniature Pinscher

No Room For Us Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

...Since no one is biting on this, I'll just answer it...

Derri said it was the coffee perculator... That is the sound in the background you can hear at the beginning of "No Room For Us". This song sounded incredible live...

07-30-2007 14:18 Big Jim is offline Send an Email to Big Jim Homepage of Big Jim Search for Posts by Big Jim Add Big Jim to your Buddy List Add Big Jim to your Contact List AIM Screen Name of Big Jim: LeslieLet YIM Account Name of Big Jim: LeslieLet View the MSN Profile for Big Jim
Zudrak Zudrak is a male
Dachshund

RE: No Room For Us Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
...Since no one is biting on this, I'll just answer it...

Derri said it was the coffee perculator... That is the sound in the background you can hear at the beginning of "No Room For Us". This song sounded incredible live...

*buzzes in* ..the coffee perculating! Dang... Wink

Teaches me to miss the trivia question. What was the prize, Jim?

Jim, did you receive your SE disc yet? I am hopeful it shall arrive in NJ soon.

EDIT: Just got a call from home. The CD is there! Big Grin

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Zudrak: 07-30-2007 15:50.

07-30-2007 14:54 Zudrak is offline Send an Email to Zudrak Search for Posts by Zudrak Add Zudrak to your Buddy List
Pages (4): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Lost Dogs Message Board » On Topic Discussion » Concert Reviews and Pics » Dogs - Somerset NJ 7/6/07

Virtual-Turk
Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.4, Developed by WoltLab GmbH