Lost Dogs Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Lost Dogs Message Board » On Topic Discussion » General Discussion » New Lost Dogs Album » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page New Lost Dogs Album 2 Votes - Average Rating: 8.502 Votes - Average Rating: 8.502 Votes - Average Rating: 8.502 Votes - Average Rating: 8.50
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
BigFiber BigFiber is a male
Chihuahua

images/avatars/avatar-54.jpg

Registration Date: 03-25-2005

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by mo_jojo
I love hymns. We need to sing them more often at my congregation. I like some of the songs/choruses, but I get dizzy and rather bored singing them too many times. I don't suppose that God is overly thrilled either. So I sing in the car instead.

Dogs' Hymn CD is a huge hit waiting to happen.

I suggest:

Nothing but the Blood

Power in the Blood (Mike could have a field day on this one)

When He Reached Down His Hand for Me (..I was lost and undone, without God or His Son...)

What a Friend (We have in Jesus)

This is Just What Heaven Means to Me.

Blessed Assurance

He Arose

The Old Account was Settled Long Ago

He Brought Me Out of the Mirey Clay

There's a New Name Written Down in Glory

The Old Rugged Cross

All excellent suggestions! I really think it would be a great CD idea.

Just in time for Christmas? Wink

08-10-2006 12:02 BigFiber is offline Send an Email to BigFiber Search for Posts by BigFiber Add BigFiber to your Buddy List
Audiori J
unregistered
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen

Hark The Herald angels Sing

We Three Kings of Orient Are

Silent Night

The First Noel

O Come All Ye Faithful

It Came Upon The Midnight Clear

O Holy Night
08-10-2006 12:10
MarkfromScotland MarkfromScotland is a male
Miniature Poodle

Registration Date: 07-18-2006

Thread Starter Thread Started by MarkfromScotland
Whatever Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Did not mean to start any great debate for once. I would class Hymns as older songs Amazing Grace and The Lords my Shepherd, classics if you like as I stated right at the beginning. I for one don't generally like congregational singing, but it is part and parcel of church life.

Keep the debate rolling Roll Eyes Mark.
08-13-2006 17:02 MarkfromScotland is offline Send an Email to MarkfromScotland Search for Posts by MarkfromScotland Add MarkfromScotland to your Buddy List
wild4jesus567 wild4jesus567 is a female
Miniature Poodle

images/avatars/avatar-243.jpg

Registration Date: 08-10-2006

RE: New Lost Dogs Album Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by BigFiber

It is well with my soul...

Did you ever hear the story behind that song? Amazing story.

what a friend we have in jesus

08-13-2006 17:29 wild4jesus567 is offline Send an Email to wild4jesus567 Search for Posts by wild4jesus567 Add wild4jesus567 to your Buddy List
Miniature Poodle

I have not heard the story behind "What a friend we have in Jesus". A guy who lectures in Austria says that Jesus is not our friend, but our Lord and Saviour and we have not right to address Him as friend...!

Take care, Mark.
08-13-2006 19:01 MarkfromScotland is offline Send an Email to MarkfromScotland Search for Posts by MarkfromScotland Add MarkfromScotland to your Buddy List
the fifth dog the fifth dog is a female
Beagle

images/avatars/avatar-151.gif

Registration Date: 07-13-2005

quote:
Originally posted by MarkfromScotland
I have not heard the story behind "What a friend we have in Jesus". A guy who lectures in Austria says that Jesus is not our friend, but our Lord and Saviour and we have not right to address Him as friend...!

Take care, Mark.

and brother... Smile

08-14-2006 05:09 the fifth dog is offline Send an Email to the fifth dog Homepage of the fifth dog Search for Posts by the fifth dog Add the fifth dog to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for the fifth dog
MarkyMark77 MarkyMark77 is a male
Dachshund

images/avatars/avatar-304.jpg

Registration Date: 06-30-2005

Friends & 20/20 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

John 15:13-15
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you." (NIV)

James 2:23
"And the scrpture was fulfilled that says, 'Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,' and he was called God's friend." (NIV)

There are other instances where Jesus calls people his "friend". Therefore, it is not a stretch to say that Jesus is our friend, even though no one in Scripture refers to Him as a friend as far as I know. Although it is just one of many roles he has fulfilled in our lives, He is, first and foremost, Lord.

Besides that, I don't think that Jesus is pacing the floor of heaven worried and/or angry that some of His people call Him friend. I just don't see that as a big priority for Him.

I have no problem with debating stuff like that. But, the problem is that it's not even close to what God wants us to focus on. I don't think He gives a flying rip about most of the stuff that we think is important. We are to love God and love people. When you call Jesus a friend, are you loving Him? When you sing a hymn or a "chorus" or a polka or whatever, are you loving Him? That's the big test. Because, in a lot of ways, only you really know if you are loving Him.

For me, I would not start a prayer by saying "Dear Daddy." It makes me cringe. But, who am I to judge how that shows love to God for other people? Not my place. Not my business. And, it's somewhat Biblical.

What is it about these boards that makes me want to post these really long posts all the time?

77's - 9/13/96, 9/17/96, 10/29/99; LOST DOGS - ?/?/1994?, 2/10/96, 5/24/96, 7/5/05, 6/29/07; MIKE ROE - 3/14/02, 6/29/07; MIKE ROE/MARK HARMON - 11/20/04 MIKE ROE/TERRY TAYLOR - 8/19/03; MIKE ROE/MIKE PRITZL - 11/18/05, 11/14/06, 6/29/07

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by MarkyMark77: 08-14-2006 13:34.

08-14-2006 09:27 MarkyMark77 is offline Send an Email to MarkyMark77 Homepage of MarkyMark77 Search for Posts by MarkyMark77 Add MarkyMark77 to your Buddy List
Miniature Poodle

RE: Friends & 20/20 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

I meant the story behind It Is Well

What a Friend We Have In Jesus was my suggestion.

08-14-2006 11:03 wild4jesus567 is offline Send an Email to wild4jesus567 Search for Posts by wild4jesus567 Add wild4jesus567 to your Buddy List
Miniature Poodle

quote:

Take care, Mark.

the song is saying is that Jesus is like a friend and we can talk to him like we can to a friend.

What a friend we have in Jesus,
all our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry
everything to God in prayer!
O what peace we often forfeit,
O what needless pain we bear,
all because we do not carry
everything to God in prayer.

Have we trials and temptations?
Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged;
take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful
who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness;

Are we weak and heavy laden,
cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Savior, still our refuge;
Do thy friends despise, forsake thee?
Take it to the Lord in prayer!
In his arms he'll take and shield thee;
thou wilt find a solace there.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by wild4jesus567: 08-14-2006 11:24.

08-14-2006 11:23 wild4jesus567 is offline Send an Email to wild4jesus567 Search for Posts by wild4jesus567 Add wild4jesus567 to your Buddy List
the fifth dog the fifth dog is a female
Beagle

images/avatars/avatar-151.gif

Registration Date: 07-13-2005

just to be blunt, i'm not at all waiting for a lost dogs hymn album. i'd rather not have em do one, to be honest. let them just do dogs-music and not get into the 'restyle-business'.

this world needs more 'get me ready' songs Smile .

08-15-2006 01:26 the fifth dog is offline Send an Email to the fifth dog Homepage of the fifth dog Search for Posts by the fifth dog Add the fifth dog to your Buddy List View the MSN Profile for the fifth dog
mo_jojo mo_jojo is a male
Greyhound

images/avatars/avatar-259.jpg

Registration Date: 06-29-2005

quote:

Take care, Mark.

Does anyone agree with the Austrian lecturer?

Has the man ever read the verse where Jesus says, No greater love is there than this...for someone to lay down his life for a friend.?
Jesus says that whoever does the will of the Father is like Jesus' mother, brother, or sister. I would hope that a mother, brother, or sister is also a friend.

Yes, He's Lord AND Saviour, and we worship Him with our whole being, but He's also our closest friend.

08-15-2006 08:34 mo_jojo is offline Send an Email to mo_jojo Search for Posts by mo_jojo Add mo_jojo to your Buddy List
Miniature Poodle

quote:
Originally posted by the fifth dog
just to be blunt, i'm not at all waiting for a lost dogs hymn album. i'd rather not have em do one, to be honest. let them just do dogs-music and not get into the 'restyle-business'.

i agree

08-15-2006 14:35 wild4jesus567 is offline Send an Email to wild4jesus567 Search for Posts by wild4jesus567 Add wild4jesus567 to your Buddy List
Miniature Poodle

quote:
Originally posted by the fifth dog

Fine by me, Mark.
08-15-2006 17:11 MarkfromScotland is offline Send an Email to MarkfromScotland Search for Posts by MarkfromScotland Add MarkfromScotland to your Buddy List
Miniature Poodle

RE: New Lost Dogs Album Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Thought that would get your attention...! Was thinking of what they could do next. How about a Cd of Classic Hymns done in the style of The Dogs...? Any suggestions for suitable Hymns...?

Take care, Mark.

If you watch the Lost Dogs DVD Terry says the initial vision was to do a one-off record of old Gospel hymns. This is where this question came from as they have never actually done this.
08-15-2006 18:00 MarkfromScotland is offline Send an Email to MarkfromScotland Search for Posts by MarkfromScotland Add MarkfromScotland to your Buddy List
Chihuahua

RE: Friends & 20/20 Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by MarkyMark77
John 15:13-15
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you." (NIV)

James 2:23
"And the scrpture was fulfilled that says, 'Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,' and he was called God's friend." (NIV)

There are other instances where Jesus calls people his "friend". Therefore, it is not a stretch to say that Jesus is our friend, even though no one in Scripture refers to Him as a friend as far as I know. Although it is just one of many roles he has fulfilled in our lives, He is, first and foremost, Lord.

Besides that, I don't think that Jesus is pacing the floor of heaven worried and/or angry that some of His people call Him friend. I just don't see that as a big priority for Him.

I have no problem with debating stuff like that. But, the problem is that it's not even close to what God wants us to focus on. I don't think He gives a flying rip about most of the stuff that we think is important. We are to love God and love people. When you call Jesus a friend, are you loving Him? When you sing a hymn or a "chorus" or a polka or whatever, are you loving Him? That's the big test. Because, in a lot of ways, only you really know if you are loving Him.

For me, I would not start a prayer by saying "Dear Daddy." It makes me cringe. But, who am I to judge how that shows love to God for other people? Not my place. Not my business. And, it's somewhat Biblical.

What is it about these boards that makes me want to post these really long posts all the time?

I don't think there is a question as to whether Jesus is our friend. I'll be honest, I don't think of Christ as a Buddy (wink-wink Alex in Germany) but when I pray I do speak to him like my closest friend. Honest, transparent and open. Getting caught up on only speaking about or praying to God as a fearsome wrathful lord is a slippery slope to legalism. Im my opinion.

And Mark, I know exactly what you mean about posting on these boards. I just can't seem to turn myself off! Roll Eyes

08-16-2006 21:19 BigFiber is offline Send an Email to BigFiber Search for Posts by BigFiber Add BigFiber to your Buddy List
Audiori J
unregistered

The subject matter is complicated, and we all feel strongly about what it all means.

On the Dogs hymns album idea, I like the idea. I would enjoy it, that doesn't mean I would want every album from now on to be one. I like to get something different every time.
08-18-2006 11:49
mo_jojo mo_jojo is a male
Greyhound

images/avatars/avatar-259.jpg

Registration Date: 06-29-2005

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
On the Dogs hymns album idea, I like the idea. I would enjoy it, that doesn't mean I would want every album from now on to be one. I like to get something different every time.

I agree, but I also can see 5th Dog's point of view in not wanting them to get caught up in hashing out remakes.

I don't think these guys want to stop writing their own material anytime soon, so the remake fear is unfounded, IMHO. But also understand that almost every band likes to take a break from the norm once in a while, and remakes of the classics provide an outlet in a lot of cases, and often sell well.

I think that a hymn album would be a great idea, and a profitable one for a few reasons. (I also think that it should be at least a 2-disc set.)
1. The Dogs most certainly know many classics, so the time to write the arrangements and time in the studio would be greatly reduced and would decrease production costs.
2. More and more people crave hymn recordings as churches switch to chorus-style worship.
3. Not that many hymn recordings that appeal to the non-traditional listener.
4. The Dogs kick butt!
5. A hymn CD in the Dogs' style would be in demand, and would easily find a space on the record store shelf just because of the tracks on it.
6. Many non-Dogs fans who buy the hymn CD for the hymns, and would end up becoming fans of the band, thus buying more CD's in the collection, and so on.
7. Would be a change in the routine for the band.
8. The band could get away without having to tour for a year, which could mean more time to come up with fresh material, or could just be time off to enjoy the fruit of their labor.

Can I get a witness?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by mo_jojo: 08-20-2006 12:14.

08-20-2006 12:05 mo_jojo is offline Send an Email to mo_jojo Search for Posts by mo_jojo Add mo_jojo to your Buddy List
Miniature Poodle

Preach it brother, preach it.

Take care, Mark.
08-20-2006 20:22 MarkfromScotland is offline Send an Email to MarkfromScotland Search for Posts by MarkfromScotland Add MarkfromScotland to your Buddy List
Chihuahua

Yea! Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Yea Mo jojo!!

You should put together a slide show and present it to the band. With charts and cost ratio thingies...

Cool

08-21-2006 10:30 BigFiber is offline Send an Email to BigFiber Search for Posts by BigFiber Add BigFiber to your Buddy List
Audiori J
unregistered

Yes exactly. There are many reasons why trying something new, even if its doing something old, can be a good idea. Something like that could get them exposure to a crowd of people that would like their music but might not otherwise give it a chance. Wouldn't it be funny if Churches booked them to perform their hymns in services?

Are hymns something I really, really want to hear? Not really generally. I am not a huge hymn buff, but on the otherhand I tend to not like country music either and the Dogs to some degree opened that up to me a little bit. I think if they did a hymn album, I probably would really dig it because it would be done with their flair and style.
08-21-2006 11:41
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Lost Dogs Message Board » On Topic Discussion » General Discussion » New Lost Dogs Album

Virtual-Turk
Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.4, Developed by WoltLab GmbH