Lost Dogs Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Lost Dogs Message Board » On Topic Discussion » CD & DVD Reviews » The Lost Cabin and the Mystery Trees » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page The Lost Cabin and the Mystery Trees
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
audiori
Administrator

images/avatars/avatar-3.jpg

Registration Date: 03-21-2005

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Confused

07-31-2006 23:11 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Ron E Ron E is a male
Scottish Terrier

images/avatars/avatar-269.gif

Registration Date: 03-23-2005

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by BigDork
so, am i the only one not drooling over this release? Frown

It says, you're an Old English Sheepdog, so I think that likely, behind closed doors, you actually are drooling all over it.

08-01-2006 12:15 Ron E is offline Send an Email to Ron E Homepage of Ron E Search for Posts by Ron E Add Ron E to your Buddy List
Audiori J
unregistered

Whats not to love? I always expect something different, its different. I always expect great lyrics, it has great lyrics. I always expect top notch music, it has top notch music. I always expect each person to add something of themselves, and they do. I always expect it to have a pointed interesting message, and it always does.

Its a great example of why I love this band and the talent these guys have.
08-01-2006 12:30
BigDork
Old English Sheepdog

images/avatars/avatar-314.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
Whats not to love?

well....

I'll leave this one alone.

carry on with your droolfest. Tongue Cool

08-01-2006 12:43 BigDork is offline Send an Email to BigDork Search for Posts by BigDork Add BigDork to your Buddy List
gator77da gator77da is a male
Miniature Poodle

images/avatars/avatar-261.jpg

Registration Date: 07-27-2006

http://www.tollbooth.org/2006/reviews/lostdogs.html

Cool Cool Cool

08-01-2006 12:49 gator77da is offline Send an Email to gator77da Search for Posts by gator77da Add gator77da to your Buddy List
BigFiber BigFiber is a male
Chihuahua

images/avatars/avatar-54.jpg

Registration Date: 03-25-2005

New Dogs CD Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
so, am i the only one not drooling over this release?

I'm not ready to say "It's the best ever!", however, it certainly is a GOOD CD. After about 7-8 listens (start to finish) I was motivated to dig up a few older Dogs CD's I haven't listened to in a while, and I realized that I'm enjoying this one as much as any of the others. The Dogs have a way of making music that is relevant every time I listen to it.

So no, I'm not gushing all over it like a first child but I am enjoying it and will for many months to come.

08-01-2006 12:51 BigFiber is offline Send an Email to BigFiber Search for Posts by BigFiber Add BigFiber to your Buddy List
Audiori J
unregistered

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Audiori J
Whats not to love?

well....

I'll leave this one alone.

Thats my point though, what is it that you dislike? Lyrics? Music? Vocals?
08-01-2006 12:59
gator77da gator77da is a male
Miniature Poodle

images/avatars/avatar-261.jpg

Registration Date: 07-27-2006

quote:
so, am i the only one not drooling over this release? Frown

Yeah.

Tongue

08-01-2006 14:11 gator77da is offline Send an Email to gator77da Search for Posts by gator77da Add gator77da to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Collie

images/avatars/avatar-229.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by gator77da
http://www.tollbooth.org/2006/reviews/lostdogs.html

Cool Cool Cool

i would have to agree with this statement "best in the post Gene Eugene era.... "

Crying

ok, some would say that is not saying much.... but this one is really starting to grow on me...
except for that plug in, tune out, turn on song or whatever it is....
i skip past that one.... Tongue
but overall a great cd.. Cool

carman is a good artist! he's made me smile on many an ocasion with his wit and his fun songs. it horrifys me to see all you people bagging on the man. this bord is almost to much for me. i wonder if i've stumbled into a pit of despair! ~tOr
08-01-2006 16:36 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005
Audiori J
unregistered

I think that one is the tongue in cheek kind of self parody along the lines of Three Legged Dog, etc. I am ok with it because I think I kind of get the personalities that it comes from if that makes sense.
08-01-2006 19:15
bereal bereal is a female
Golden Retriever

images/avatars/avatar-230.gif

Registration Date: 03-24-2005

It's a choir tune on a dogs disc. Tongue

btw, I do like it. Wink

Holy God break me, Holy Lord take me
Lay your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Your crushing hand, Your mighty hand, On me gently
Smile
08-01-2006 22:49 bereal is offline Send an Email to bereal Homepage of bereal Search for Posts by bereal Add bereal to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Collie

yeah, maybe that's why it's not so great........

Tongue

well, the choir were great....

in '87.... Frown

carman is a good artist! he's made me smile on many an ocasion with his wit and his fun songs. it horrifys me to see all you people bagging on the man. this bord is almost to much for me. i wonder if i've stumbled into a pit of despair! ~tOr
08-01-2006 23:20 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005
audiori
Administrator

Shocked

Think I probably listen to Free Flying Soul, Flap your Wings and O, How the Mighty Have Fallen more than any of their albums. *Shrug*

08-01-2006 23:39 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Golden Retriever

images/avatars/avatar-274.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Joey T.

Tongue

in '87.... Frown

get a clue, Josephus T
Roll Eyes
Sure they mellowed somewhat but their uniqueness is that distorted beauty in their music, and they've been fairly consistent in that area. Speckled Bird & Circle Slide are classics. And the rest are solid. Great unique sound vibe. I dig The Choir.

Of course, I dig KMax.

Tongue
08-01-2006 23:52 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Collie

quote:
Originally posted by peawinkel
quote:

Tongue

in '87.... Frown

get a clue, Josephus T
Roll Eyes
Sure they mellowed somewhat but their uniqueness is that distorted beauty in their music, and they've been fairly consistent in that area. Speckled Bird & Circle Slide are classics. And the rest are solid. Great unique sound vibe. I dig The Choir.

Of course, I dig KMax.

Tongue

i guess i am not entitled to my opinion..... Roll Eyes

anyways, yeah, if you like k-pad i guess you might think new choir is better than old choir......
but it that's what floats your boat..... Tongue

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Joey T.: 08-02-2006 09:42.

08-02-2006 01:41 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005
Audiori J
unregistered

I think some people just don't get what it's all about. You either do or you don't. One comparison I always see is the comparison to the first couple Dogs albums, this alone shows a lack of understanding. The first couple Dogs albums were a culmination of thrown away tracks from these guys various bands all put together and used in a format that worked, where they wouldn't have if they were used when they were written. Smokescreen for example was written long before the Dogs first album, but it wouldn't fit on an old 77s album.
The stuff on the albums released after these first few albums had to be newly written material. That is a difference. Actually written with the Lost Dogs in mind. That also coupled with the loss of Gene makes these albums very different animals from the first couple. Not to mention the fan heightened excitement of the first time these guys got together has worn off since the first couple of albums. It's no longer a strange fantasy collaberation, its now a unit with a purpose. These guys now understand each other and know each other and are great friends.
Along with that comes the schtick and self depreciating humor, the ribbing each other. They try to have some fun with the shows and each other. The reason? Because they are not pretentious, they don't take themselves entirely seriously. This is not a new phenomenon, Daniel Amos started out as an accoustic trio that made some great country-ish songs with some schtick thrown in.
You don't get Mike Roe without some blistering guitar and some sad soulfull songs. You don't get Derri Daugherty without his pleasing vocals and atmospheric feel. You don't get Terry Taylor without his incredible songwriting and wacky schtick. Throw them together and you get the Lost Dogs for what they are. You either love it or hate it for what it is.
As this band has grown closer together they are no longer what we had at the beginning, they are a band where each members influence is clearly seen and they understand each other and what they are as a whole.
Looking back, from the very first song on the very first album we were told where they were going, you either sit back and enjoy the ride with them or are left behind.

Yeah we'll take the scenic routes
(and stop and smell the roses)
find out what it's all about
(with eyes wide open)
(with wide-eyed wonder)
(theres's nowhere else I'd rather be)
(chase the endless summer)
Paint the common things with mystery
and renovate our history
when we take the scenic routes
the cloud enfolded Trinity
unpacks the ancient tapestry
when we take the scenic routes

Mutt could be seen as "renovating their history", while Ilsand Dreams is a nice "stop to smell the roses", and the Lost Cabin is another example of "painting the common things with mystery".
Sometimes the lyrics hold tiny keys that help you unlock the mysterious metaphorical actual points of the songs. Some people miss them but some people find them. For example, from the song "Only One Bum in Cornoa Del Mar" we have this line;

Down at one local park bench
under a blanket called "Home"
the rain falling hard now
but I assure you he's never alone
He's always got an invisible buddy there
They speak to each other in tongues
Once I think I heard them muttering
calling all of us "stinking C.D.M. bums!"

Who could the invisble buddy be that you speak to in tongues?

Now all this happened years ago
Sadly today our hero's not around
Some say he's been seen in Fresno
others say they heard he drowned
Still others swear he got baptized,
spreading the Word both near and far
and some of us think he may be
the richest man who ever
lived in Corona Del Mar

Matthew 25:40
And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

There is almost always more there than meets the eye. Some people get it and some people don't. Occassionally they have to throw in a song that makes the point more obvious for the obtuse. This time around that song is "Thats Where Jesus Is", earlier it was "Breathe Deep" and "Pray Where You Are".
This is a great album from a great band that has grown together. Brothers finding their way down the road of life with all its unexpected bumps, twists and turns, like the personal song "Whispering Memories" is testament to. I for one am glad to be along for the ride, because heck, we are headed to the same place. The message is driven home, as are we, when the wheel has been given to Christ.
08-02-2006 08:36
peawinkel peawinkel is a male
Golden Retriever

images/avatars/avatar-274.jpg

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by peawinkel
quote:

Tongue

in '87.... Frown

get a clue, Josephus T
Roll Eyes

Of course, I dig KMax.

Tongue

i guess i am not entitled to my opinion..... Roll Eyes

anyways, yeah, if you like k-pad i guess you might think new choir is better than old choir......
but it that's what floats your boat..... Tongue

I didn't say new choir was better than old choir. All I said is all of their stuff is very good. Actually, if you had a clue, you would see that I favor Speckled Bird & Circle Slide.
Roll Eyes
08-02-2006 11:39 peawinkel is offline Send an Email to peawinkel Homepage of peawinkel Search for Posts by peawinkel Add peawinkel to your Buddy List
Joey T.
Collie

Mad Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

if you had a clue, you would not listen to k-pad! Tongue

08-02-2006 12:52 Joey T. is offline Send an Email to Joey T. Search for Posts by Joey T. Add Joey T. to your Buddy List YIM Account Name of Joey T.: joey_t_2005
audiori
Administrator

I'd say it pretty much has everything that I come to expect in a Dogs album... part of that is a mixture of styles, a mixture of influences, great music & musicianship, great lyrics, and of course the unique mixture of talents.

I can understand some folks maybe not liking MUTT if they just don't like hearing older songs revisited; or even Island Dreams if thats just not their style of music, or they can't get into an instrumental album. But, this one really has all of the qualities that I enjoyed from previous Dogs records going back to the beginning (minus Gene's voice, of course).

I understand the comparisons to the first few albums a little just because of the variety of styles on this one compared to say Nazarene Crying Towel. But, even though that one is pretty similar musically from start to finish, it still has some of my favorite Dogs songs on it and it fits in just fine with the others to me.

I think the glowing reviews have it right.. "Cabin" is easily one of their best. Smile )

http://www.thelostdogs.com/music/rtlcatmt.html

08-02-2006 17:18 audiori is offline Send an Email to audiori Search for Posts by audiori Add audiori to your Buddy List
Audiori J
unregistered

Yeah maybe I should clarify what I mean by the comparison I was talking about. I see people often say the newer Dogs albums are not as good as the first few. Thats what I don't understand. I do think this one holds up the standard of those first albums pretty well. Its just a different thing.
08-02-2006 18:03
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next » Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Lost Dogs Message Board » On Topic Discussion » CD & DVD Reviews » The Lost Cabin and the Mystery Trees

Virtual-Turk
Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.4, Developed by WoltLab GmbH