Lost Dogs Message Board
Register Calendar Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

Lost Dogs Message Board » On Topic Discussion » General Discussion » I'm Your Man » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page I'm Your Man
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
davidtpark davidtpark is a male
Miniature Poodle

Registration Date: 01-22-2006

I'm Your Man Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Just saw it at the Ritz in Philly. Any one else able to see this film. Antony butchers If it Be Your Will (if Gene were still with us he could have shown all of those other Canadians a thing or three about singing Cohen), but The Cohen/U2 performance at the end is classic.
08-20-2006 08:20 davidtpark is offline Send an Email to davidtpark Search for Posts by davidtpark Add davidtpark to your Buddy List
sorenaabye
Miniature Poodle

Registration Date: 08-22-2006

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

i LOVE this film!!!
i saw it twice during its short run here in la...

i know what you mean about antony's performance, particularly because i, like it seems you are, am so married to the lost dogs' brilliant interpretation.
however, the second time i saw the film i really began to think about how he owned the song emotionally, and i connected with his version.

i am a big leonard cohen fan in general (my favorite album by him is the existentially titled "the future"), and i was sort of off of some of the earlier performances--in particular, the older women's duet, but you are right about the ending.
AND, i think the narrative flows well with the inserted interview footage.

Bono says something interesting: "I've always thought of Leonard's music as being interested in the corporeal world rather than the spiritual world" (my paraphrase). I have for a long time thought the opposite--you needn't really go past "If It Be Your Will," but if you wanted to how about "Closing Time" and "The Anthem." But I see Bono's point. All three of those songs seem to presuppose a deity, and yet they are focused on the importance of the here and now. What am I to do here, in this crappy world?

I'm glad you brought the film up. I liked it very much.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by sorenaabye: 08-22-2006 22:38.

08-22-2006 22:37 sorenaabye is offline Send an Email to sorenaabye Search for Posts by sorenaabye Add sorenaabye to your Buddy List
Audiori J
unregistered
Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

Some songs by focusing on the temporal world and our fallenness, express just how great and wonderful God's mercy and Grace really is. A soldier far from home is the one who best expresses how wonderful home is and his longing to see it or his loved ones. Its the dichotomy of recognising where you are and longing for something much greater.

"If It Be Your Will";

Matthew 26:36-44 Gethsemane
Then Jesus went with his disciples to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to them, "Sit here while I go over there and pray." He took Peter and the two sons of Zebedee along with him, and he began to be sorrowful and troubled. Then he said to them, "My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me." Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will." Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. "Could you men not keep watch with me for one hour?" he asked Peter. "Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak." He went away a second time and prayed, "My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done." When he came back, he again found them sleeping, because their eyes were heavy. So he left them and went away once more and prayed the third time, saying the same thing.

You can grieve and be sorrowful for your situation, the fire you go through. The sweetness in this bitter expression is the spirit is willing, not my will but thine. In the midst of sorrow we often can find the most comfort in God's promises, that He is in control no matter what we go through. Even though I am sorrowful I will trust in Him.

Its one thing to recognise we are fallen and have a savior, its entirely a different thing to say we are fallen and there is no hope.
08-23-2006 11:20
davidtpark davidtpark is a male
Miniature Poodle

Registration Date: 01-22-2006

Thread Starter Thread Started by davidtpark

nice insights in the previous post - anyone out there know what the three Cohen songs are that Gene had recorded and suposedly are to be released soon?
08-23-2006 21:14 davidtpark is offline Send an Email to davidtpark Search for Posts by davidtpark Add davidtpark to your Buddy List
Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
Lost Dogs Message Board » On Topic Discussion » General Discussion » I'm Your Man

Virtual-Turk
Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.4, Developed by WoltLab GmbH